Pimsleur for foreign language - Mothering Forums
Learning at Home and Beyond > Pimsleur for foreign language
SundayCrepes's Avatar SundayCrepes 01:32 PM 04-27-2010
Has anyone used Pimsleur with their kids? I've got the Spanish cds and am thinking of using them as we drive around town. I could learn spanish as well. Did it work for your kids?

RoundAbout's Avatar RoundAbout 02:18 PM 04-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
Has anyone used Pimsleur with their kids? I've got the Spanish cds and am thinking of using them as we drive around town. I could learn spanish as well. Did it work for your kids?
I haven't used it for my kids but I have it used for myself. I think it is an amazing program and beats the pants off Rosetta Stone any day. . I lived in China and Japan and used both the Mandarin and Japanese Pimsleur programs to prepare and they are pretty awesome. Amazingly well designed program. The stuff I learned through Pimsleur still sticks in my head years later.

I'm not sure it works best while driving around, except maybe as review. I think it requires a little more concentration the first go around. However it might work to have them do a 30 minute lesson with headphones in the morning and then do the same lesson in the afternoon while driving.

Also wanted to add that it focuses exclusively on speaking fluency and learning the kinds of things you would need to get by while visiting a country. It's outstanding for that but after doing as much Pimsleur as possible I would supplement with some written work and other materials.

Hope this helps.
zjande's Avatar zjande 03:34 PM 04-27-2010
We've only just started a few months ago. My almost-12 yr old ds & I are learning spanish. I agree that it takes me too much concentration to be able to learn much while driving around... but reviewing that way would be good!

I haven't used any other programs, and since we just started, I don't really have anything helpful to add. It is working great for us though!
AllieFaye's Avatar AllieFaye 06:40 PM 04-27-2010
I have to concur that it's not a program for driving around. It put me in a hypnotic trance, just like my Hypbirth cds do. They explicitly say not to use while driving. I always thought it was just me, though. It is an amazing program. I'm amazed at how much I understand and remember, five years later without any practice or use.
Up