Books for 7/8 yr old? Hardy Boys age appropriate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-29-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 7, he'll be 8 next week, he's been reading Hardy Boys for a few months, the old fashioned hardback kind we've picked up at used bookstores. He really likes them and can polish off novels really fast- in just a couple days. He also loves Bobbsy Twins, but they are harder to come by I'm finding. Do you think that Hardy Boys are age appropriate for a just turned 8 yr old boy? I read Nancy Drew when I was a kid, but not that young, read some Hardy Boys too, but I really can't remember. I guess the best way to find out is to pick one up and read it myself, but to find the time!? Any other series suggestions? We're Christians and I prefer old fashioned stuff and don't want anything too violent or with romance in it. Thanks!

Jewels & Jon (Married 11+ yrs)- Homeschooling, No Circ, BF, CD Mama to:
Alex 8 Gabby 6 (Homeborn!) Gideon 2.... chickens, ducks, cats and a dog
#2 of 21 Old 04-29-2010, 04:39 PM

I can't comment much on the Hardy Boys, although I did read Nancy Drew around age 10 or 11.
Have you ever heard of the Sugar Creek Gang books? They are written from a Christian worldview and are very popular with my 8 yo son! He has been reading them since around age 7. He also really enjoys the Magic Treehouse books, although he tears through them and usually finishes them in a day or less.

Married to my best friend!
Mother to 3 sweeties: Ds (8), Dd (5), Dd (3)
#3 of 21 Old 04-29-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJewelsRae View Post
My ds is 7, he'll be 8 next week, he's been reading Hardy Boys for a few months, the old fashioned hardback kind we've picked up at used bookstores. He really likes them and can polish off novels really fast- in just a couple days. He also loves Bobbsy Twins, but they are harder to come by I'm finding. Do you think that Hardy Boys are age appropriate for a just turned 8 yr old boy? I read Nancy Drew when I was a kid, but not that young, read some Hardy Boys too, but I really can't remember. I guess the best way to find out is to pick one up and read it myself, but to find the time!? Any other series suggestions? We're Christians and I prefer old fashioned stuff and don't want anything too violent or with romance in it. Thanks!
I would add nacy Drew to the list -- the old ones, no reason a boy can't read them too.

Also

The fairchild Family Stories -- by Rebecca Caudill

http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Little-F.../dp/1883937728

that is the first one, I THINK, there are several

Don't forget the Little House on the Praiire Books too

Also if you look on say 1000 Great books and places like http://www.amblesideonline.org/ and places like that they tend to have to older books, traditional books, too

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#4 of 21 Old 04-29-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia_mama View Post
I can't comment much on the Hardy Boys, although I did read Nancy Drew around age 10 or 11.
Have you ever heard of the Sugar Creek Gang books? They are written from a Christian worldview and are very popular with my 8 yo son! He has been reading them since around age 7. He also really enjoys the Magic Treehouse books, although he tears through them and usually finishes them in a day or less.
Sugar Creek Gang -- I will have to look at that.

Box Car Children might be another good idea

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#5 of 21 Old 04-29-2010, 05:25 PM

Nothing new here but wanted to add the Boxcar Children- my friend's son is almost 7 and he loves these for readaloud. I do readalouds w/ Magic Tree House and my ds loves it at almost -6. I have been reading him some of Roald Dahls books as well and we have both enjoyed those- not really series books but he has a wide variety in varying lengths. Also, I haven't read them yet- as they aren't available at the library here but HC Holling has at least a handful of books that look to be about the right size for that age that I just put on my wishlist! http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...20C.%20Holling

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#6 of 21 Old 04-29-2010, 05:37 PM

From the ReadAloud Handbook-
The Littles Series(wrote in the 70s)- Owls in the Family (61)

I haven't read these myself though.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#7 of 21 Old 04-29-2010, 06:27 PM

Yes, I think HB are age appropriate for an 8yo. My 7yo listens to them on tape from the library and loves them. (We've gone through all the tapes and now he's listening to Nancy Drew)

However, what I recommend is The Three Investigators series. They are out of print but you can find them places like Abebooks and BetterWorldBooks.com

My 9yo loved them (I did too, as a kid). It's three young detectives, instead of two, like the Hardy Boys. They are much wittier and far better-written. They're from the 60s and 70s, I think and not any more violent than the HB - that is, the heroes might be taken captive by some bad guys, but no one ever gets more than a bump on the head and good always triumphs.
#8 of 21 Old 04-29-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! We have read several of the classics- Captains Courageous, Black Stallion, Swiss Family Robinson, etc. I'd like to buy some more of those.

I think my dh mentioned he read the Sugar Creek Gang when he was a kid, I'll have to look into those.

#9 of 21 Old 05-02-2010, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was at Costco the other day and saw 4-packs of the Hardy Boys, hardback with the classic covers (not the original burlap-y brown ones, but the color pictures). I was SO tempted to buy them for my just-turned-8-yo book fiend, as I *LOVED* the Hardy Boys as kid (I only turned to Nancy Drew when I couldn't find more Hardy Boys!).

I haven't read one in ages, and probably should... But my feeling was that it might be a bit much for my sensitive DS. At least, I know I started reading them in 3rd grade (when my teacher had one in our class library). I also became rather obsessed with them, and for some combination of obsession and fear/bad dreams/whatever, my mom put a halt to it for a while. (I eventually was allowed to read them again and read every one of the original 120+ - not the newer junk that came out in the '80s and '90s.)

Anyhow, I'm both surprised and somewhat pleased to hear others think it would be appropriate. I'll definitely need to pick one up and see what DS might think of it! Of course, this boy has read the Narnia series (minus a couple of books we restricted), so he's probably fine.

Other series he loves include the Boxcar Children (I do try to keep it to the older ones), Encyclopedia Brown, Magic Tree House, and an Usborne series called Jack Russell Dog Detective. Most of those are VERY quick reads for him (I get frustrated when he finishes it before we get home from the library!), but he tends to re-read a lot.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#10 of 21 Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 AM

I ran across a discussion yesterday on Amazon about innocent chapter books for an advanced 6 y.o. reader:
http://www.amazon.com/tag/childrens%...x3DMA8P7ICDWBC

#11 of 21 Old 05-02-2010, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If you have some way of reading ebooks, http://www.manybooks.net/ has a bunch of Bobbsey Twin books that are old enough to be in public domain. They also have a number of other lesser-known kid series from the early 1900s and before in their "Young Readers" category.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#12 of 21 Old 05-03-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post
If you have some way of reading ebooks, http://www.manybooks.net/ has a bunch of Bobbsey Twin books that are old enough to be in public domain. They also have a number of other lesser-known kid series from the early 1900s and before in their "Young Readers" category.

#13 of 21 Old 05-03-2010, 02:40 PM

Try the Trixie Beldon books, if you can find them, they are awesome!
#14 of 21 Old 05-04-2010, 03:28 PM

check out these two sites -- espcailly the first one -- i think you will find a lot of stuff you like:

Quote:
We're Christians and I prefer old fashioned stuff and don't want anything too violent or with romance in it. Thanks!
http://www.bethlehembooks.com/displa...user=377669168

looove this one -- lust after about all of it

and

http://www.childrensbooksforever.com.../picture2.html

#15 of 21 Old 05-05-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post
thanks for sharing this link!!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#16 of 21 Old 05-05-2010, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
My kids really like the Freddy the Pig series by Walter R. Brooks. The main cast of characters are talking animals so there is no boy/girl stuff going on.
#17 of 21 Old 05-06-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
My kids really like the Freddy the Pig series by Walter R. Brooks. The main cast of characters are talking animals so there is no boy/girl stuff going on.
I found this web linek: http://www.troynovant.com/Franson/Br...y-the-Pig.html about the Freedy the Pig -- and ophhh my now i want them all .................

oh and here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_the_Pig

I want them for me, now

#18 of 21 Old 05-06-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! This has been very helpful. My mom also recommended the Trixie Beldon books, I'll have to keep an eye out for those. The guy at my local used book store is AWESOME! He gives me the old Hardy Boys books for just $2 each and they are like brand new hardbacks, I also found a few more Bobbsey Twins books and a Guiness Book of World Records I think ds will find quite interesting. My ds is a bit "macho" atm, though where he gets it from we have no idea cause dh is so not like that- he refuses to read Nancy Drew for now because "it's for girls"!

#19 of 21 Old 05-06-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much! This has been very helpful. My mom also recommended the Trixie Beldon books, I'll have to keep an eye out for those. The guy at my local used book store is AWESOME! He gives me the old Hardy Boys books for just $2 each and they are like brand new hardbacks, I also found a few more Bobbsey Twins books and a Guiness Book of World Records I think ds will find quite interesting. My ds is a bit "macho" atm, though where he gets it from we have no idea cause dh is so not like that- he refuses to read Nancy Drew for now because "it's for girls"!
he will reasd BT but not ND? oook whatever makes him happy!!

#20 of 21 Old 05-06-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Nancy Drew has a girl on the cover and the main character is a girl, whereas BT has a boys and girls. That's his rationale!

#21 of 21 Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Nancy Drew has a girl on the cover and the main character is a girl, whereas BT has a boys and girls. That's his rationale!
He likes to read and that is all that matters. Whatever works for him. I, personally, feel BT is more juveinal than ND ... but that doesn't matter -- he is reading

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page