How do you organize all your (internet) bookmarks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know about you, but I have A LOT of bookmarks! And I don't think I had half as many bookmarks as I do now before I started homeschooling.

I've tried categorizing. For instance, I have tons of folders, sub-folders, and sub-sub-folders, but I still feel incredibly unorganized when it comes to my bookmarks.

Here is an example:

Homeschooling
>Latin
>Math
>History / Social Studies
>>Ancient History
>>American History
>>Civics
>Charlotte Mason
>>Copywork
>>>Copywork ideas for CherryPie
>>>Copywork ideas for KiwiBoy
>>Narration
>>Tanglewood
>Science
>Nature Studies

There are SO MANY more...

I still feel like I cannot find things when I need them. And I've copied links into several folders when they have several categories. And I've also tried social bookmark sites like diigo, but I hardly ever use it.

Making a spreadsheet or word document is next on my list to try to organize my bookmarks... making a little note about what I might be able to find at each link that I list. And categorizing them the same way I have them categorized in my bookmarks.

Any suggestions?

Are there any social bookmarking sites that you love? For what reasons?

Thanks!!

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 03:35 AM

No real suggestions, I suppose since I don't have your specific lists. But, I have lots of folders and sub folders with things in multiple folders as uses identify them.

For educational book marks, I have something like:

(Basic subjects)
Math
English
History
Geography
PE
...etc.

Then I have specific folders such as:

Teacher Reasources
Legal Issues
On-Line Activities
Print outs-worksheets
Research Resources
...etc.

And so on.

I have everything that is easily catigorized placed in the appropriate folders and only use subfolders beyond these when necessary (like in "English" I may have "Spelling", "Reading", "Vocabulary", etc).

But, the links that I use most often (as in a couple times a week or more) I will leave a copy right in the "Education" folder (as well as the copy in the appropriate sub folder).

I don't know if that is much different than what you do or not, but it works for me.

One thing I have found that does help is to do a quick "click test" once a month or so. Run down your bookmarks and click on each link to make sure it still works. If it does not, delete it, or if it is something that you don't remember why you put it there or you have never used it, delete it (and if you are unsure if you want to actually delete it, you can make a special folder for "Old links" and just put it there).

Also, I find my bookmarks are much more organized when I rename them short, descriptive names rathar than the long, default names they are usually given.

And my last tip is this, when you save your link, add a short "tag" in the name if there is any type of account or sign on.

Example:

Link: Amazon.com/homepage

First I would shorten it and since I have an account there I would remane it with my "tag". I have to sign in using my "JohnDoe@YAHOO.COM" and my password of "12345".

My Link would look like this:
Amazon - JDYH-12345 (Or some abreviated version that will let you know at a glance what your ID and password is).

Now, for my "secure" sites I do not put my actual PW but something that will identify it to you. Many of mine actually have a single letter listed because for me it makes me think of my PW. So it would look something like this:

Amazon - hh-j

Or like this board. The link is
"www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=1220348"

But mine would read something like:
MDC - Learning-home - k-t

It tells me the site, the specific board, the log-in, and my PW.

With so many places asking you to set up accounts now days, I found it the easiest to do this. Hope it is clear enough.

(Disclaimer: the specifics I used here for ID and PW are examples not my actual ones.)

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:02 AM

A problem that has been bugging me too. Thanks for inquiring!

Subbing.....
Old 05-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

Link: Amazon.com/homepage

First I would shorten it and since I have an account there I would remane it with my "tag". I have to sign in using my "JohnDoe@YAHOO.COM" and my password of "12345".

My Link would look like this:
Amazon - JDYH-12345 (Or some abreviated version that will let you know at a glance what your ID and password is).

Now, for my "secure" sites I do not put my actual PW but something that will identify it to you. Many of mine actually have a single letter listed because for me it makes me think of my PW. So it would look something like this:

Amazon - hh-j

Or like this board. The link is
"www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=1220348"

But mine would read something like:
MDC - Learning-home - k-t

It tells me the site, the specific board, the log-in, and my PW.

With so many places asking you to set up accounts now days, I found it the easiest to do this. Hope it is clear enough.

(Disclaimer: the specifics I used here for ID and PW are examples not my actual ones.)
THAT is an awesome idea.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:29 PM

....I can't even figure out how to delete all these old Craigslist ads from when we moved over a year ago.

....This thread might be a teeny bit helpful.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Kidzaplenty ~ Thank you for all the suggestions!

The way that you described for organizing all the bookmarks in folders and sub-folders sounds very similar to how I currently have mine organized. I think my main problem is that I have so many that I actually forget what I have. And there are so many links that I want to remember because they are truly great ideas that I can use in my homeschool! I mean... I must have bookmarked it for a reason, right?

After I posted this yesterday, I did another search on another board and found a recommendation for Google Bookmarks. I created an account with them and now I just have to figure out how to use it!

Your other suggestions for tagging the bookmark name with the user-name and password within the bookmarked page name is awesome! I am definitely going to try to use that! Thank you so much!

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
Old 05-01-2010, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love using googlebookmarks

i just have them organized like

homeschooling in california as one folder * contains everything about the legal side of hsing in CA*

reading/spelling

writing

math

science

preschool

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 05-01-2010, 08:29 PM

I use Yahoo bookmarks now. I lost my bookmarks from my laptop so many times, and it's a relief not to have to keep backing them up anymore.

I just use folders

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 PM

i'm really bad about bookmarking everything i come across (seriously, i bookmark ridiculous stuff!). what's worse, is i do it on 3 computers! i try to organize homeschool links at my blog by category. i go through every six months or so and actually check the links to see if they're broken and add new ones (*ideally* i try to simply cut & paste the link to my blog as i come across it though). as for unrelated homeschool stuff, i'm simply at the mercy of my chaotic attempt to label things in my "favorites folder" (i'll use short hand/code words believing i'll actually remember what i'm talking about).

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 05-02-2010, 12:14 AM

That is another advantage of Yahoo or Google bookmarks - you can use multiple computers and your bookmarks follow you and stay the same on all the computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
i'm really bad about bookmarking everything i come across (seriously, i bookmark ridiculous stuff!). what's worse, is i do it on 3 computers!

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
Old 05-02-2010, 12:53 AM

I use delicious and diigo...for work (teacher) and personal
Old 05-02-2010, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
~snip~ (i'll use short hand/code words believing i'll actually remember what i'm talking about).

Old 05-04-2010, 04:24 PM

subbing -- i was just thinking about posting this.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 05-04-2010, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I created a blog. I don't even blog in it, just keep all my links in it. I'm right in the middle of reorganizing & updating it or I'd share the link.

It's nice because my 6th grader can go to it & easily find links I've saved to our science videos or educational games, etc. without my help.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!

User Tag List