Book Recommendations for an almost 10-yr-old girl - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 05-05-2010, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
luz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

I'm a lucky mom to an almost-ten-year-old daughter. She's a voracious reader, which in general I'm really happy about. However, I find that as she makes her own choices about reading material, I'm not too impressed with some of her choices. I'm not going to censor her reading, but I would like to seed our shelves with lots of great options for character-building books. Any recommendations? I'm looking for engaging "chapter books" with strong characters, kids wrestling with moral dilemmas, adventures, etc. I'm open to suggestions from Christian and Buddhist traditions, as well.

Thanks!
#2 of 20 Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 AM

What is her reading level? What kind of books does she like to read (it might help us suggest something that will appeal to her, so it doesn't just sit on the shelf)?
#3 of 20 Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
luz

She likes historical fiction, mysteries, harry potter... I think her reading level is probably about a 6th grade level.
#4 of 20 Old 05-05-2010, 09:56 AM

Anything of the Newberry Award winning books are sure to be a good read. We go from one to the next and have never been disapointed. Many have good stong female characters. I highly reccomend them.
#5 of 20 Old 05-05-2010, 10:03 AM

Anne of Green Gables series
#6 of 20 Old 05-05-2010, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I enjoyed Tamara Pierce's books at that age. Do you have access to a library? I loved going every week and getting a bunch of books to try out on my own. My mom almost never rejected any book so it was also a way for me to feel like I had control over a huge piece of my life.
#7 of 20 Old 05-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Some great suggestions so far. Newbery books, especially older ones, are good bets. Tamora Pierce, Susan Cooper, Patricia Wrede, Richard Peck, Karen Cushman, Monica Furlong, Christopher Paul Curtis, Eva Ibbotson and Elizabeth Speare George are writers my kids have really enjoyed.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#8 of 20 Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
The Mysterious Benedict Society

Bloomability, Walk Two Moons, Absolutely Normal Chaos (and others by Sharon Creech)

Catherine Called Birdy and The Midwife's Apprentice (both his. fiction with strong females)

My 10 yr old is currently liking the 39 clues books

Homecoming and Dicey's Song

We also like the Percy Jackson books

Books by Andrew Clements (Report Card and Lunch Money are our favorites)

Caddie Woodlawn

Courage of Sarah Noble (we really liked this too!)

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit

Number the Stars

Holes

The Watson's go to **********

amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#9 of 20 Old 05-05-2010, 01:04 PM

Some of my favorites around that age were:

My Side of the Mountain

Island of the Blue Dolphin

Anne of Green Gables

Are You There God Its Me Margret

The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#10 of 20 Old 05-05-2010, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
All of the "Royal Diaries," "Dear America," and "My America" books are fun historical fiction.

I third, or fourth, whatever, the Tamora Pierce books.

Jane Yolen...so much wonderful writing!

Ken Thomasma wrote a series of books about different Native American children. It's fantastic. (He came up here and lectured and taught writing workshops when my 17yo was about 10...just a wonderful, educated and detailed writer).

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#11 of 20 Old 05-05-2010, 11:00 PM

I was a fantasy buff at that age, so I loved Madeline L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time books (and also I liked her non-fantasy Meet the Austins), The Dark is Rising series, the Narnia books.

Other thoughts: The Jungle Book, The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, Heidi, The Railway Children, The Borrowers, Tom's Midnight Garden, The Black Stallion, anything by L.M. Montgomery. Also, I had a book of myths from around the world that I fell in love with, and which were probably what put me on a path to study classics in university.

I also loved My Side of the Mountain, though I must say it made me contemplate running off to live in the woods.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#12 of 20 Old 05-07-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
I also loved My Side of the Mountain, though I must say it made me contemplate running off to live in the woods.
me too

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#13 of 20 Old 05-07-2010, 02:32 PM

The Giver, Gathering Blue, The Messenger

Warriors series

Tuck Everlasting

Among the Hidden series

Lots of books by Avi

Many more, but those are a start.

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

#14 of 20 Old 05-08-2010, 01:59 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzannah View Post

Tuck Everlasting
I LOVED this book as a kid! My dd hasn't seemed interested, but I remember it very fondly.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#15 of 20 Old 05-08-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post
I LOVED this book as a kid! My dd hasn't seemed interested, but I remember it very fondly.

Amy

Mine wasn't interested either, but I was persistent and read it out loud to her (she just turned 10 Tuesday), and she LOVED it.

Also Bridge to Terabithia (although the end is hard).

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

#16 of 20 Old 05-08-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
luz

Thank you all for all the wonderful suggestions!
#17 of 20 Old 05-08-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy4tmama View Post
me too
I loved that book too! I wrote a book report about it, and my teacher gave me a check minus (so, basically FAILED ME) solely because I said that it was a great book but not terribly realistic that his parent would let him do that. She wrote a really long comment about how books have to be believable to be good and if I didn't find it believable then I should be more critical about the whole book.

Yeah, experience #483 that is leading me to homeschool...

So many great suggestions, I don't know what to add. I'll particularly second the Natalie Babbit, Carol Ryrie Brink, Susan Cooper recs. The Giver is one of my absolute favorite books of all time, but I recommend reading it with her so you can talk to her about it.

Also look into Edward Eager, E Nesbitt, Diana Wynne Jones (if she likes historical fiction and mysteries, A Tale of Time City is one of my favorite books and manages to combine all that with sci fi and action... the Chrestomanci series was one of my favorites as a kid too).

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#18 of 20 Old 05-09-2010, 12:42 AM

Trixie Belden books!!!! Much more believable than Nancy Drew, with good values. Love them!
#19 of 20 Old 05-09-2010, 01:29 PM

I don't know if the content would be good with you, but both of my girls loved the Hunger Games and the sequel, Catching Fire. Dd11 loves reading and reads everything. I have long since stopped censoring her reading choices. Dd9 isn't as interested in reading, so I usually jump on anything she does like. She liked the Hunger Games enough to recommend it to a lot of other kids, which is high praise coming from her.

It is a futuristic novel about a girl who is competing in a reality TV show where kids from the districts surrounding the capital are forced to compete to the death on live TV. It sounds gruesome, but is really well written, has a good story line, and has a good message.
#20 of 20 Old 05-09-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
I loved that book too! I wrote a book report about it, and my teacher gave me a check minus (so, basically FAILED ME) solely because I said that it was a great book but not terribly realistic that his parent would let him do that. She wrote a really long comment about how books have to be believable to be good and if I didn't find it believable then I should be more critical about the whole book.

Yeah, experience #483 that is leading me to homeschool...

How funny that was my reaction as well LOVED, LOVED, LOVED,the book but didn't think it terribly realistic. Come to think of it I feel that way about many books....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page