Oak Meadow for early years, then Classical for older? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I keep finding I am torn between doing something slightly Waldorf-ish like Oak Meadow and something more Classical. I also want Charlotte Mason ideas to inform us, too! And then I realized the problem-- when I picture a little kid I love OM but when I picture an older kid I like the more Classical approach.

So would a transition be at all reasonable and smooth from OM K through 4 or 6 and then some form of Classical thereafter? Does that make any sense at all?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 12:58 AM

I don't see why this wouldn't work. CM points that way, with things like grammar and writing starting much later. She doesn't focus on a lot of things until age 10 or so, including spelling. They'd miss the first cycle of history, but quite frankly I don't think that really matters!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 05-20-2010, 05:54 PM

I think it would work beautifully and that is what I've been mulling around in my mind for the last couple of weeks.

I have spent an inordinate amount of time reading up on Waldorf the last couple of weeks to determine a plan of action for my middle guy. I see Waldorf as being more of a lifestyle and not so much a curriculum. We already "do" some waldorfy things, I just didn't know it, but am really looking at becoming more intentional about it. I have 2 older students that will do more classical work, but I think in a Waldorf "lesson block" kind of way. My youngers will hopefully benefit from the Waldorf methods that I am learning about, too.

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
Old 05-20-2010, 06:24 PM

I plan on following a fairly strict classical curriculum, but supplementing with a lot of Waldorf ideas and activities. I really like the arts and crafts and the emphasis on festivals. But I do not like the religious aspects of Waldorf at all, and therefore the overall curriculum isn't acceptable for me since I have no interest in basing what I teach entirely on their pearly whites. At this point, I am thinking of purchasing the Oak Meadow curriculum, because it seems to have a really great range of crafts and handwork, and pick and choose parts of it. A lot of the classical stuff seems pretty dry, so hopefully we can find a happy medium.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
Old 05-20-2010, 08:33 PM

I don't think there would be a problem transitioning from a Waldorf approach in the younger years to a more Classical approach for the middle or later years.

I have to say though, that I am not a fan of Oak Meadow at all.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 05-20-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
I don't think there would be a problem transitioning from a Waldorf approach in the younger years to a more Classical approach for the middle or later years.

I have to say though, that I am not a fan of Oak Meadow at all.
Could you tell me why? I've heard mostly good things, and the craft stuff sounds really cool. Bookbinding and basket weaving and random stuff like that.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 PM

To me it was too watered down to be either a good Waldorf curriculum or a good Classical curriculum. I really feel that it doesn't do justice to Waldorf. BUT, I have only seen the Kindergarten through 2nd grade materials, so that is all that I can speak to.

If you're looking for a good Waldorf curriculum, I would go with Christopherus. If you're just looking for Waldorf crafts, there are so many wonderful books out there for that.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
To me it was too watered down to be either a good Waldorf curriculum or a good Classical curriculum. I really feel that it doesn't do justice to Waldorf. BUT, I have only seen the Kindergarten through 2nd grade materials, so that is all that I can speak to.

If you're looking for a good Waldorf curriculum, I would go with Christopherus. If you're just looking for Waldorf crafts, there are so many wonderful books out there for that.
Yeah, watered down Waldorf is what we're looking for! We're from a hardcore Waldorf family (DH's, but I am well acclimated by now!) and had always planned to do it fully, but over the last year I have come to realize that true Waldorf will not suit my son. However, I am not willing to go straight to Classical at 4 or 5, as it goes so against the Waldorf in me. Seems OM might be a nice early start and then Classical when he gets older. We are also thinking about doing some FIAR on the side and maybe some other things. Agh! I need to start a new thread!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Is there a good book list of waldorf crafts?

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
Old 05-26-2010, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We're planning on going a route similar to this only starting with Enki for kindy-2nd grade and then moving on. Like a pp, I have not heard great reviews about OM but rather that it was boring. I've looked extensively at Christopherus and did not care for it, nor its approach to gifted children. I've heard so many great things about Enki, and after looking further, it just really resonates with me. After Enki, who knows for us--I'm thinking we'll keep many Waldorf aspects but go our own way and supplement with ALGF or a bit of Christopherus when we want to gnome it up.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
Old 05-26-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post
We're planning on going a route similar to this only starting with Enki for kindy-2nd grade and then moving on. Like a pp, I have not heard great reviews about OM but rather that it was boring. I've looked extensively at Christopherus and did not care for it, nor its approach to gifted children. I've heard so many great things about Enki, and after looking further, it just really resonates with me. After Enki, who knows for us--I'm thinking we'll keep many Waldorf aspects but go our own way and supplement with ALGF or a bit of Christopherus when we want to gnome it up.
I feel like Enki would be a good fit, but it's sooo expensive, especially for something that I don't think will be our main curriculum. But with what people are saying about OM, maybe it's worth it.

So many choices!

I'd love to hear suggestions for Waldorf craft books too. I have Toymaking with Children, but I found it kind of silly and not terribly practical.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

I had originally formed a negative opinion of OM because of a few bad reviews (literally a few, like 2 or 3). Then as I realized what kind of learner I have (gifted, and auditory/sequential) I thought that true waldorf would not be a good fit. So I started looking back at OM for the exact reasons I had leaned away from it previously. I now want a bit more dry (just a bit!), less Waldorf (but still inspired), and I do like that they are a year ahead of pure Waldorf as my son is going to pick stuff up a year ahead anyway (well, more like 2 years so far).

I also should add that I have read soooo many glowing reviews of OM lately. They may not be from true Waldorfers, but glowing reviews. I am moving away from Waldorf more and more every day--I don't mean totally away/against, I just mean more toward "waldorf-inspired" or better yet: "waldorf-infused"!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:31 AM

Probably if I were just interested in Waldorf crafts, I would buy the Little Acorn Learning guides and/or Seasons of Joy. That would provide you with plenty of Waldorf flavor, without the academics.

The idea that Waldorf is not rigorous academically is a pet peeve of mine. Waldorf kindy and first grades are very slow and gentle, that is true, but after that it is very on par (if not ahead) of other methods.

I also believe that Waldorf is a very good fit for "gifted" kids. My oldest is very, very bright, and Waldorf has been wonderful for him.

My problem with Oak Meadow is that it is, in my opinion, a watered down education. IT is not rigorous academically (in the grades I have seen, at least), and it also does not provide the holistic, soul nurturing qualities of a true Waldorf curriculum. My fear is that someone would purchase OM and be totally turned off to Waldorf.

If I wanted to mesh Waldorf with some more traditional choices (which I may very well do, actually), I would decide whether I wanted a more or less Waldorf slant. Personally, I am going with a more Waldorf slant, so I am going to use Christopherus' 3rd grade curriculum. If there are any areas that I would like to beef up, I will add on. For example, I am planning to use Ambleside's reading schedule. If I wanted a less Waldorf slant (really just the arts aspects), I would go with Seasons of Joy or Little Acorn Learning. Oh, another option would be to buy A Little Garden Flower curriculum, which is very inexpensive, but will give you a good idea of a true Waldorf curriculum. Then you could add more traditional areas in where needed.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:30 PM

Happy to have found this thread! I am also planning on meshing Waldorf, CM, and Classical. I see us doing mostly Waldorf in the beginning and then transitioning mostly to Classical later. I have done some searching around the internet and it seems that other people have had this idea as well. I even came across one person's statement that Waldorf would set up a good foundation for later classical. I do like Waldorf and think it is academic enough but I am a big fan of literature based learning and lots of books which is where the CM, classical comes in. I had also been turned off of OM because of a couple negative reviews. Maybe I should reevaluate.

OP I found a book I like called Twigulum: A Multicultural Curriculum for Wholistic Learning. It is obviously very Waldorf but it doesn't even say the word Waldorf in the description. I don't have it yet. i have only seen what is on Amazon but I like the looks of it.

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

User Tag List