Any Massachusetts homeschoolers here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We may be movig to MA within the next year, and I wanted to know if there were any homeschoolers on here that can tell me about homeschooling in MA. We have been homeschooling for 2 years and we love it!!! However, we may be moving out to MA soon, and I have heard from lots of people that MA is one of the hardest states to homeschool in.

Thanks!

dd 8, ds 6, ds 4,: (12/08), ds 1, me and dh:yawning Simplifying my life one day at a time! 925/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 02:18 PM

We are in Metrowest Boston area.
In terms of the legalities, it depends on your town. Mine wasn't so bad.

In terms of convenience and fun, I think my area rocks. I live in a town where within a 5 block radius, there are at least 7 homeschoolers living here. There are over a couple of hundred in my town, and many many more in neighboring areas. This area has a well organized homeschooling group. I lived on the south shore before and was very happy with that group also.

good luck.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:46 PM

We are in Southeastern MA and we have 3 huge groups within a 20 mile radius of us. There are always a ton of park days, activities and field trips to choose from. We have not had to report yet (will next year), but we have had to talk to our school district to get info and they were OK. A lot of my HS friends have sent in their letter and had no problem getting approved. I would say join some local yahoo groups for your area and talk to HSers in the area you are looking to move to, and they should be able to help out with specific district info.

Good luck with your move!!

SAH, homeschooling mama to DS (1/06) and DD (3/07)
Old 05-15-2010, 02:03 PM

I'm northwest of Boston and haven't had to report yet (will be doing so this Autumn). I'm part of two HS groups and there's plenty to do and lots of people to ask for advice from....we're just not yet at a stage to be going out of the house a lot to do things yet (my oldest will be 6 in August). Our local school office didn't bat an eyelid when I called and asked for info about how to register, and no-one I know has ever had to resubmit their curriculum, but I've never homeschooled anywhere else, so I can't compare....seems OK to me!

Welcome to Massachusetts! Hope you settle in quickly.

ETA...was going to edit for clarity but I have a teething baby and I'll assume you can translate tired-Mamma into grammatically correct English...I give up!

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
Old 05-15-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your posts! Sounds like homeschooling in MA isnt really that different from homeschooling out here in IL. Sounds like there are quite a few awesome groups out there. We are trying to figure things out here, but it looks like we may be moving within the next year. Thank you again!

dd 8, ds 6, ds 4,: (12/08), ds 1, me and dh:yawning Simplifying my life one day at a time! 925/2010

User Tag List