What are you ordering this year? Curriculum and Resource discussion - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 05-14-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, I am so excited, I just ordered our materials for the year minus consumables (paper, paint etc)!

Here is the run down-
I have 2 homeschooling kids and 1 toddler, I purchased the following:
Subscription to Digication for 1 year, eportfolio website
GEMS Unit Teacher Guides (long list, but I can share if you want)
Hand on Math grades 1-2, 3-5
Books on Egypt, a mummy kit, abacus and new map of the world/atlas
Grammar CD from School House Rock
Art You See books
Geoboards

We are using:
Grammar Land
History of Math
USBORNE Books (mostly history) (mega using these)
A Starting Small Project
Teaching Tolerance materials
And various resources as needed
Plus, we have several season passes and memberships to take advantage of.(thanks Grandparents!)

We find most of our resources and related books at the Salvation Army for super inexpensive.

So, what are your plans?

We are pretty eclectic, so the above works for the state requirements, plus it allows us to move at our own pace.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#2 of 54 Old 05-15-2010, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
As far as ordering goes, I'd like to get SOTW 2 and a certain kid's poetry book I liked when I was little. Those are really the only things I'm set on ordering before next year.

I'd like to get some things that will be used across multiple years - possibly some sort of encyclopedia/spine thing for history and/or science, a reasonable atlas, classic art book, a decent child's Shakespeare - that sort of thing. I also need to figure out which books we'll be likely to read over a long enough period of time that the library won't work. Most of the shorter-term reading books in all subjects will come from the library. I probably won't order any of this unless our financial situation majorly changes, but I'll keep an eye out for them.

I think we really have everything we *need* for math for the upcoming year or two, so I'm resisting ordering anything else

I'm torn between starting Spanish or Latin (or just waiting another year until DS's reading is more solid), but am leaning towards Spanish, since I really need to work on Spanish myself right now, and then doing English From The Roots Up in a few years. We have PowerGlide Children's Spanish at the moment, and I have no clue how that will work for us. If I do decide on Latin, we'll probably order Song School Latin.

Oh yes, and I need to get a copy of Leif The Lucky, as that's both on the schedule for next year and DS's name!

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#3 of 54 Old 05-15-2010, 01:35 PM

We will probably be doing RightStart Math levels A, C, and Intermediate for all three kids.
For the little guy (5 in September), we'll probably be doing Five in a Row on a slow schedule. Still deciding on if we'll be doing phonics and if so, what (He's loving a free trial of Reading Eggs right now. We might stick with that.)FIAR covers pretty much everything else (social studies, literature, art, science).

My nine year old will continue using The Story of Us for US History. I don't know what my almost 7 year old will be doing for that, yet. I might just expand whatever my youngest is learning about from FIAR, or jsut let her pick things that interest her.

For science for my oldest, I'm considering The Story of Science. It's history based science with hands on activities. If it's adaptable for a younger student, I might use it for dd, too.

I have nothing specific for literature for the older two in mind. My kids are voracious readers, so I don't think I really need anything formal. I'm looking for a fun spelling curriculum for dd, as she struggles with it. I'm also looking for a more formal writing curiculum for her. She hates to write, and I'd love to make it more fun for her.

We'll be using Rosetta Stone for Spanish (Ocelotmom - we used Powerglide, and didn't like it. I really, really did not like how the kids talk to one another - it's all very mean spirited, and a lot of "boys stink/I hate girls" type stuff.)
#4 of 54 Old 05-15-2010, 03:51 PM

subbing cuz i love threads like this

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#5 of 54 Old 05-15-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
subbing cuz i love threads like this
Me too!

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#6 of 54 Old 05-15-2010, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
We'll be using Rosetta Stone for Spanish (Ocelotmom - we used Powerglide, and didn't like it. I really, really did not like how the kids talk to one another - it's all very mean spirited, and a lot of "boys stink/I hate girls" type stuff.)
That's too bad. There's unfortunately no way we're going to manage Rosetta Stone this year. I've been looking at Byki, which free and is supposedly similar. I haven't successfully managed to get it to run on Linux yet, though.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#7 of 54 Old 05-15-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post
That's too bad. There's unfortunately no way we're going to manage Rosetta Stone this year. I've been looking at Byki, which free and is supposedly similar. I haven't successfully managed to get it to run on Linux yet, though.
Yeah, Rosetta Stone was a huge investment for us, but worth it since we moved here (Mexico) last year. I know they have an online version for a monthly fee, but I don't know a lot about it. There's also livemocha.com , which is very similar in style to Rosetta Stone. I prefer Rosetta Stone, but if I didn't, livemocha would work for us.
#8 of 54 Old 05-15-2010, 11:09 PM

I think I have ordered most of what I need for this upcoming year.

I will have:
a 10th grader using:
Apologia Chemistry, Saxon math (not sure what level until we get there), she will be in a history class that uses The Mystery of History, Vol 3 and History Through the Ages timeline book, for English it's a mix of IEW and Shurley English. I think that's it. It's all I remember right now. Over the summer she is doing Marine Biology, Saxon Math and Worldviews of the Western World Year 2b.

an 8th grader using:
Apologia Physical Science, Math U See pre-alg (possibly alg depending on what she gets done over the summer), Shurley English, and Ambleside Online a mix of year 7/8.

a 7th grader using:
Apologia General Science, Math U See, Shurley English and Ambleside Online Year 7

a 5th grader using:
Rod and Staff science, Math U See, Rod and Staff English and Ambleside Online Year 4. I'm considering an American Girl unit study for her, too.

3rd and 2nd graders using:
Rod and Staff English, Math U See and Ambleside Online Year 2

a Kindergartener using:
100 Easy Lessons, Making Math Meaningful Level 1 and Ambleside Online Year 1 (probably will spread out year 1 for two years)

a preK who I am sure will sit through 100EL, MMM and AO with the K'er

in the fall everything starts up again - music, art, dance, robotics and too much to think about right now! ack!!!!

Caefi
#9 of 54 Old 05-15-2010, 11:12 PM

We've already bought:

NOEO Biology 1
Mystery of History 1

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#10 of 54 Old 05-15-2010, 11:18 PM

I've been playing around with this for months now. My kids are dd 10, ds 8, and dd 2. Up to this point I've mostly made up my own curriculum. Last school year I ordered Math, LA, and some test prep workbooks. I had grandiose plans of making my own history curriculum. While I did do some Ancient History units by location that was that. Having a little one while trying to homeschool is harder than I thought it would be. This year I'm buying quite a bit (for us).

Miquon Levels 1-6
Singapore Primary Math textbooks, workbooks, and home instructor guides for 3A, 3B, and 4A
Kumon math workbooks for supplementing
R.E.A.L Science Odyssey- Earth & Space Level 1
My Pals Are Here Science 5/6 textbooks and activity books, four of them- Interactions, Energy, Systems, and Cycles
Daily Grams Grade 4 workbook
American Tales Reader
Draw Write Now
Songschool Latin

I already lucked into some things I wanted used ...

Artistic Pursuits Grade 4-6 Book 1
Primary Language Lessons
First Language Lessons 1/2
Spelling Power
Before Five in A Row
AVKO Sequential Spelling Level 1
Simply Grammar
History Odyssey Ancients Level 1(with some of the scheduled readers yay!)
WWE Level 1 & 2 workbook
Joy Haikm's History of US 11 book set
and the Miquon Lab Sheet annotations

I love saving money (and really need to!).

Plus lots of cool fun stuff like a microscope and prepared slides, Snap Circuits set, team chess, some more math manipulatives, etc.

blogging.jpg

#11 of 54 Old 05-16-2010, 12:38 AM

You guys and your next year! hehehe Our year is a bit 'wonky' this year... we started with a distance ed school and it did not work out so I am registering the boys with the state here. When you register with the state, your 'year' starts when you turn the forms in.... so we have one term of study that is in no man's land! No biggie since my boys love the things we do .. but it means i'm officiallly starting the year again!

So for 'this' year I've ordered:

3rd grader:
MUS gamma
mathletics, rainforest maths
Grammar once a week
Catching on to comprehension
Spelling matters
New wave cursive

1st grader:
MUS alpha,
Mathletics/rainforest maths
Reading Eggs/Headsprout (depends if our group reading eggs sub gets cancelled by the DE provider)
Montessori type language materials (montessoriforevery.com print &
laminating myself)
New wave handwriting
First Language Lessons (WTM) loosely using this

Both:
History Odyssey, Medieval times lvl 1 (with boatloads of library reading, craft & documentaries)
Real science Odyssey, Earth & Space (more for the cool labs & workpages to go along with my own, already created science for the year)
skwirk.com membership

OOOPs! forgot to put my 4yo on here, and he's demanding his own school @@.
He'll be getting a 'my big preschool workbook' (the kind of thing available at walmart), some montessori printable 'games' as he calls them, lots of crafts, lacing cards, puzzles etc!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#12 of 54 Old 05-16-2010, 12:42 AM

6th grader

buying oak meadow 6th grade program + beginning recorder & basic knitting
the sonlight guide and then just borrow the books then may need a more difficult math program and spiral scouts

preschooler

spiral scouts, sonlight p3/p4, and the world history on preschooly level so more crafts and art=ish stuff some kumon workbook stuff and maybe carols affordable curriculum

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#13 of 54 Old 05-16-2010, 01:47 AM

I'm not really ordering anything now because we're running our school year January to January so I've got everything through this coming January.

But it will be:
Rightstart A (moving into B for 1st)
HWT K (moving into HWT 1st)
HOD/LHFHG (K) moving into BLHFHG (1st)
BRI reading along with Headsprout..not sure where I'll go from there but both programs take me to a 2nd grade level so maybe just the reading in HOD.
How to Teach Art to Children
Karen Henley bible curriculum (OT) and Grapevine studies (NT), then flip for 1st
Liberty Kid's videos for history (along with HOD history)
Once reading is solid we'll doing Phonics Road for LA, not sure when that will come in.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#14 of 54 Old 05-16-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

SBGrace- We just found Liberty Kids, and both girls love it. My 8yr old is very into it- we hadn't planned on studying colonial history but may, if she is interested.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#15 of 54 Old 05-16-2010, 04:00 PM

I've already bought the next level of Michael Clay Thompson books from www.rfwp.com - so we will start Magic Lens 2, Word Within the Word 2, Poetry, Plato, and the Power of Beauty, and Academic Writing 2. I bought all the Sequential Spelling books on a discontinued book sale a couple of years ago, so we will try and finish books 6 and 7 next year. For literature we're just going to read and discuss some of the long line of books my dd and I have both been wanting to read and share. After January, depending on the bank account, we may do the Lord of the Rings literature program.

Math we already have or will use free resources. MEP math - free online, MathCounts resources and other problem solving books and resources I've collected for math club. We also have Art of Problem Solving Intermediate Algebra which we may do on our own or she may talk me into letting her do the online class in October.

History - she will continue down the reading list for History Odyssey, Ancients, level 3 and move on into the middle ages. She is doing this with my dad. We'll also do some music history using Professor Carol's music history dvd course. (I purchased a few months ago on sale, but haven't started yet)

Science - We'll watch Joy of Science from the Teaching Co., read and discuss a science article weekly with a friend, and do some physics and chemistry experiments I'm starting to put together.

Art - We'll finish watching the last 3 episodes of How Art Made the World from Netflix. She'll continue developing her Manga talents. She may do a combo nature/art camp this summer. I'll make an effort to give her time and space to get out her paints to play with more often.

Music - Piano and penny whistle. Plan some get togethers with friends who play guitar to play her whistle with.

Foreign Language - Continue Latin, probably online this year. Spanish with local co-op.

We'll be busy! She also wants to continue a mythology study if we can get a group together.
#16 of 54 Old 05-16-2010, 06:29 PM

subbing!
#17 of 54 Old 05-16-2010, 08:06 PM

This is the time of year that I look at the Sonlight catalog and sigh deeply. I think that we would really like their program. Paying for it would be a challenge!

We'll probably just stick with what we're doing. For next year, I think we'll go with:

Ds (8)
Singapore Math 3B/4A
Growing with Grammar
Time4Learning
Writing
Violin

Dd (5)
Explode the Code
Singapore Math 1A
Five in a Row
Violin
#18 of 54 Old 05-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Let's see:

Mathabacus to supplement what we've already got for math
Lively Latin
R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Earth and Space, plus the rock kit
Some stuff for history (we're doing U.S. History), I'm still not entirely sure what I'm going to commit to there.
A children's world atlas
Some timeline materials
Wee Sing America
A Bible story book that hopefully won't suck as bad as the one MIL gave us
A few extras/goodies sitting on my RR wish list.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#19 of 54 Old 05-16-2010, 08:58 PM

Love this thread! I am SO up in the air. Right now I think we are sticking with Oak Meadow, but I am also getting some used MBTP to check out. We also recently discovered, and love , the Flash Kids books. No idea for math.....
#20 of 54 Old 05-16-2010, 11:04 PM

DS1 will work through the summer to "finish 1st grade" and complete vision therapy. 1st grade has been for the most part focused on helping him with his vision and being able to read and write. I'm hoping that by fall, we can spend more time in other areas. For language arts, I have subscribed to Click'n Spell, and he is enjoying that; I also recently started using Spelling Workout, and Scholastic Daily Word Ladders, and these are helping him to learn to use words and write them down. I also downloaded all of the Elson Readers from Google Books and he is reading in the primer; I am also using it for copywork and learning sentence structure. I have Spectrum Writing Grade 1 for him to move into when he is ready.

I want to get into ancient history with him, so I've been reviewing books and stocking our home library with ancient history books. I've also purchased the Kingfisher First Encyclopedia of Animals, the Kingfisher First Human Body Encyclopedia, and a copy of the Larousse Encyclopedia of Animal Life. I want to use all of these, all of our Magic Schoolbus books, and Nebel's science book next year.

I also want to help him get into listening to me read good, longer chapter books. I've purchased used copies of the entire Narnia series, in the full color editions. We are almost done with The Magician's Nephew and he is excited to start The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I found the entire Little House series at Goodwill for about 60 cents a book. I have also purchased a couple of other longer classic children's books - three by E Nesbit and also Alice in Wonderland.

I also purchased the new books of Challenging Word Problems from Singapore, and I have some Critical Thinking Company books I want to get into (analogies and balance benders), to go along with the Singapore Math we are already using.

Finally we are about 1/3 of the way into Song School Latin, just for fun. For getting into some written study, I bought level 2 of Latin's Not So Tough.

For DS2, I bought the first Singapore kindergarten math and a book from Critical Thinking, some early writing Kumon books, and some jumbo letter magnets for the fridge. He is just getting interested in letter sounds and short words, and having some "school" to do. I've arranged a box of books just for him to "read". I also have put together a tub of some stuff like sandpaper letters, photo flashcards, lacing cards, little puzzles, etc for him to occupy himself with during school time.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#21 of 54 Old 05-17-2010, 12:10 AM

We're going to use WP AS1 for 3rd and 1st this year, RS B & C/D, FLL1/3, WWE 1/2. I'm thinking maybe Artistic Pursuits, some latin for 3rd grader, maybe Rosetta Stone for Spanish finally?? We need science still, but will use some of what we didn't cover with WP AW's for sure, and maybe R.E.A.L. science. We will be joining a coop for art, music, and some other stuff so that will be lots of a fun and a great way to fit some other things in.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#22 of 54 Old 05-17-2010, 09:12 AM

i've switched things around a little from my original plan. i think this is what's going on though...

3rd grade
all about spelling
writing strands or WWE (undecided)
daily grams (i think)
CLE Math
how great thou ART dvd series
apologia astronomy & CLP nature readers
american tales reader and activity guide (i also have abeka gr. 3 american history for a spine)
independent reading for my dd (she can read what she wants)
bi-weekly co-op (SOTW, habitats, board games)
homeschool equestrian classes 1x monthly
guitar with daddy
field trips

1st grade
hooked on phonics gr. 1
all about spelling (at his own pace)
WWE 1 (we'll see how it goes)
saxon 1 math
abeka gr 1 history (as a spine) & american tales reader
apologia astronomy and CLP nature readers
how great thou art dvd series (this is really something his sister wanted, but he can tag along if he chooses)
bi-weekly co-op (SOTW, habitats, music)
tae kwon do
homeschool equestrian class 1x monthly
field trips

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#23 of 54 Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 PM

Let's see ... I've ordered

Rosetta Stone Mandarin for us all (DH and I could use the brush-up, and the kids have forgotten most of what they knew)

Sonlight Core 1
Sonlight Bible 1
Sonlight Science 1
Sonlight Readers 2 Intermediate
Writing With Ease 1
Rod & Staff English 2
All About Spelling 1
Zoo membership

And then we'll continue with Artistic Pursuits and Math Mammoth since we already have those, and the kids will use Sonlight's Readers 1 and 2 as needed before moving on to 2 Int.

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#24 of 54 Old 05-17-2010, 06:18 PM

This is my current wish list.

For all of us:
Sonlight Core 1 or 1+2
Sonlight 2 Intermediate readers for ds8 and dd7
Various books for ds10 (to fill in the readers gap)
JumpMath at appropriate levels
Progressive Phonics for ds8 and dd7
Spelling and Language Mechanic for DS10
Either sonlight science 2, 3 or Classic Science.
Artistic Pursuits k-3 for everyone
Some kinda hands on music I think. For fun anyhow.
Kumon workbooks for everyone, for fun only

That should keep us occupied.

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#25 of 54 Old 05-19-2010, 09:15 PM

I'm new to this area of MDC, but wanted to jump in. I have a 4yo DD and a 2yo DS. This past year, I have been working through Before Five in a Row and Letter of the Week. This is what I have outlined for "next year" or whenever we start...I'm thinking of maybe even starting over the summer because my DD just soaks up the writing and "formal activity" type things.

Before Five in a Row - still haven't done all the books and I especially want to continue this for my DS
Explode the Code primer--Get Ready, Get Set, and Go for the Code
Making Math Meaningful, K
Little Hands to Heaven--we will be doing some of this on our own and some in a co-op type setting with two other families, kids ages ranging from 2-5yo
--and I'm thinking of adding a handwriting component for my DD, maybe Handwriting Without Tears, pre-K

Suggestions or critiques welcome. We are really just starting our official homeschooling journey!
#26 of 54 Old 05-19-2010, 09:23 PM

hey kristin. welcome to this part of MDC. i've used MMM, ETC, and BFIAR. all of those are gentle and great. have FUN!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#27 of 54 Old 05-20-2010, 04:32 PM

I don't have anything to buy, but we will be continuing with Sonlight P 3/4 and P 4/5, adding in Core K with 2 Int readers & Science K. Continuing with Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (OPGTR), FLL 1/2, Aesops Fables, Greek Myths, Handwriting, Saxon 1, MEP Year 1. I want to get Song School Latin, but still debating if he is ready yet. We will listen to SOTW 1 CD's, but will repeat it next year with extra reading and AG.

Our 22nd Year of Homeschooling !
#28 of 54 Old 05-21-2010, 12:12 AM
AAK

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Oh goodness! I will have a second grader and a fifth grader next year at home. I am pretty decided on my 2nd grade stuff, but struggling with 5th.
Here's what I have so far:

2nd Grade:
Draw Write Now (she just loves this series, we use it for copywork and drawing. I will use it more to tie in with other subjects and initiate creative writing as well next year)
Singapore Math 2A & 2B
ABeCeDarian (we will continue this throughout the summer as well--hoping to be reading independently at grade level by the start of 2nd grade)
All About Spelling
Beyond the Code books 2, 3, 4 for comprehension skills (I really liked the first one! She could read it and she liked the activities around the stories. We do it orally.)
First Language Lessons (I think)
Little Passports (monthly club--will use to tie in with social studies)
Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding (for science)

5th grade:
We will take a break from workbook math and most likely do Life of Fred (fractions and decimals--although she is good at fractions and decimals, but I don't know that she is ready for pre algebra) She also wants to use the "Real Life Math" series. So we will try one of those. She has been going through 3 Singapore levels a year--and getting tired of the workbooks.
I loved easy grammar, but since I want a more complete language arts curriculum, we plan on using MCT series.
For History we will continue with US History. This year we studied through the Civil War and Reconstruction. We will start where we left off and work through modern times. I hope we will also have time to tackle state history. We don't use a "curriculum" for this--finding it better to explore it through multiple resources.
Science: I hope Nebel's book for older kids finally gets published. If it does, we will try that. If not. . .I think I will "unschool" this subject. Not to offend unschoolers--I realize we won't really be unschoolers, but I think she has the potential to go far with less 'help' in this subject.

I know this isn't complete, but it is where I am at now.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#29 of 54 Old 05-21-2010, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

New to us:

Rosetta Stone Swedish We are moving to Sweden next year!

Continuing:

Miquon math
Explode the Code
Spelling Workout
Handwriting (Getty and Dubay)
Nebel's Foundations of Scientific Understanding
Dance/soccer/swim team
Piano

Looking for:

History/social studies -- we may cobble something together in the fall about Sweden and its history to get us ready for the move.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#30 of 54 Old 05-21-2010, 01:07 PM

We are classical; I tend to follow Latin Centered Curriculum, but am also influenced heavily by WTM. But, I don't tend to use either of their curriculum suggestions. I don't think I have to buy much for next year (we also don't tend to finish any curriculum at the "end" of a school year), but here's what we are doing:

4th grade:
Math: Singapore 3B/4A, Miquon Yellow & Purple - transitioning into LoF Fractions
L/A: WWE 3/4, MCT Island (we started that this spring; I think we'll savor it and stretch it out until next spring), Junior English (Galore Park publishing from the UK), AAS (he just started level 4); I'm hoping after this summer he'll be reading at grade level

2nd Grade:
Math: Singapore 2A/2B and Miquon Blue & Green
L/A: WWE 2; MCT Island; AAS (he just started level 3); Phonics Pathways

Both Ds#1 and Ds#2:
Latin: Latin for Children A
History: SOTW 1/2 and CHOTW (we were slated to do SOTW 3 this spring, but I combine history with ds#2, and I didn't want him doing SOTW 4 in 2nd grade, so I restarted our rotation); US History through non-fiction picture books and Liberty's Kids DVDs
Geography: We are working through Evan-Moor geography units on each continent; I'm guessing next year we'll do South America and Europe; we also do map work with SOTW.
Science: Singapore Science My Pals are Here 3/4 (we do a chapter once a week and I combine this with ds#2); after we finish the 3/4 series, I'm thinking of trying Apologia's science books and just editing out their world view on creation if at all possible.
Art: I think we will do Meet the Masters 1x a month with friends again. I might have to look into Artistic Pursuits for us at home though.
Spanish: I really want to start this with dedication; I'm thinking of restarted Rosetta Stone with the boys and if we keep our Discovery Education sub., making sure to do at least one Elementary Spanish lesson a week.

Ds#3 will be Pre-K (4); he'll probably start Miquon Orange and Singapore EarlyBird for math; HWOT K for printing; and Phonics Pathways for reading. Other than that, his goal seems to be to get into whatever we are doing as much as he wants, and otherwise, make bit messes at the table with paper, scissors, glue, and markers.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page