Is this also a Homeschooling reality? (the drop off play date) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 05-27-2010, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The pack stays together here. We drop ds1 (7) off for classes and the like, but are generally close by. Playdates/groups/parties are family events usually. I'm sure as they get older it will shift but for now that's what it is.

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#32 of 40 Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 PM

A lot of the organized "playdates" we do are where we have the whole group (I have 4 kids). Mostly because I like having the time to hang out with the other mom.

That said, my older two (9 and 6) go over to play at our neighbor's houses without me and the little two all the time.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#33 of 40 Old 05-27-2010, 03:07 PM

We usually travel as a pack here too, but, recently started doing the occasional drop off. We have two families that we play with weekly and with all of the kids combined it is a total of 9 kids and a newborn. The noise level is insane at times My oldest son is 8 and his bff is also 8 and they enjoy their time alone together where it is quieter and not chaotic. We are trying to do the alone time more often now for the two boys along with the huge playdate as well.

Ann-Marie
#34 of 40 Old 05-27-2010, 10:12 PM

I try to give my kids time away from each other, and let them do activities that don't include their siblings regularly. My mom kept my sister and me in all the same activities growing up, and it meant that we were always treated as a unit, instead of as individuals. We are very different people, and if we'd been able to choose something just for one of us, and not the other, I think we would have both been happier. For example, my sister loved soccer, so my signed us both up for same team-- I spent all my time gathering dandelions, and my sister was treated as a less capable player because of it. Also, it exacerbated the sibling comparison/rivalry issues-- we couldn't do anything without knowing whether or not our sister was better at it. And we weren't homeschooled, so we were separate all day at school.

As a homeschooling family, my kids get lots of time together, and so I think it's even more important that they be allowed to be apart sometime too.

Re: drop-off parties. I think drop-off parties are MUCH MUCH easier to host than ones where the parents stick around and need to be entertained too. Most people I know who do drop-off playdates are happy to reciprocate, so it's not treating you like you're a daycare, it's parents helping each other out while their kids have fun.
#35 of 40 Old 05-27-2010, 10:40 PM

My son's an only child and he's 8 yo. I do some drop off play dates, but mostly with DS's friends who go to public school and we have known them for a while. The first play date is always with the parents so both us of know the other isn't an ax murderer. I love drop off play dates, I get some free time and DS is happy and safe with people we know.

Most of the time with the play dates we do with home schoolers involve the mothers or the whole family. It's great, if everyone likes each other. But, there have been times were the kids click and while the mom is perfectly nice and trustworthy, I really don't want to spend 3-4 hours talking to her. Alex and DS love each other, but his mom is the most boring human alive. I trust her with my son, but she seems pretty bored with me too.
#36 of 40 Old 05-28-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldamomma View Post
I try to give my kids time away from each other, and let them do activities that don't include their siblings regularly. My mom kept my sister and me in all the same activities growing up, and it meant that we were always treated as a unit, instead of as individuals.
I agree that that would suck. My guys (8 & 6) both take swimming, but in different classes. We also do weekly co op style activities and they are both in separate activities/classes there too

Funnily enough though... when classes let out and they go to the playground... they go looking for each other straight away

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#37 of 40 Old 05-28-2010, 08:42 AM

Mine are 5 and 6 and yes, they are often on playdates alone / without me. Sometimes I drop them off. Sometimes it is in the immediate neighborhood and they walk / bike. Sometimes we all go socialize together. Sometimes they socialize and not me. If I limited their social activities to times when the other mom and I were both free to visit, they would not get as much buddy free time.
#38 of 40 Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 PM

So far, my kids have made friends with other sibling groups. When we have drop-off playdates, they go together. I'm sure it will be an issue at some point, but so far it has worked out well. My ds would be OK if his sister left for a playdate on her own, but she would be terribly upset to be left behind.
#39 of 40 Old 06-02-2010, 02:35 PM

Down here in Miami it's really unheard off, whether it be birthday parties OR playdates. If someone invites my son for a playdate, it's assumed that I am coming along.

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#40 of 40 Old 06-05-2010, 03:48 PM

I LOVE drop-off playdates and parties. The kids entertain each other, I get to catch up on whatever I need to do. Honestly, I think that after the age of five or six it's odd for a parent to stay. My kids would have far fewer playdates, at our house or at friends' houses, if it took up hours of time that I need to use elsewhere.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page