what are you using for K/Grade 1? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Math ~ For both girls (5 yo and 7 yo) we're mostly playing games: Busy Bug Collector (early add/sub concepts), Sum Swamp (add/sub), Dino Tracks (place value), Money Bags Game (coin counting). We also have the Right Start game set and plan to use card game ideas from education.com's activity finder. Supplementing with Math Mammoth as desired. I've been really influenced by the article, "Transitioning to Living Math."

Reading ~ 5 yo is continuing with BOB books and early readers. She's an eager reader and I teach her whatever phonics concepts come up in the books she picks. 7 yo will keep a reading log of the books she's read (this is VERY motivational for her). Thinking about adding "Ordinary Parents Guide..." to the mix.

Spelling ~ I'm still debating between Natural Speller and Spellwell A. Both girls LOVE "spelling bees" so we'll do lots of those.

History ~ read-alouds from the library. We all take turns picking. My picks are mostly picture books and bios related to early-American history, 7 yo DD likes Ancient China and 5 yo DD doesn't really care.

Science ~ 5 yo wants to learn the names of the constellations so I'm buying us a Star Theater 2 and a couple of books: Find the Constellations and Astronomy for All Ages.

7 yo is interested in chemistry so I'm getting her quite a few resources to keep her busy (Pure Slime; Fizz, Bubble and Flash; Molecular Model Set; Elements: the Ingredients of the Universe).

We'll also read / look at a few of the "One Small Square" books together (Pond, Backyard, Night Sky).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2010, 08:59 PM

I just posted our Kindergarten plan on my blog today.

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:11 PM

Our K plan for fall is pretty simple. Read, play, and read some more along with focus as tolerated on the 3 R's.

Reading: DS is already a pretty fluent reader, so we will just make sure he has the basic phonics rules down by using Explode the Code workbooks and reading a ton!

Writing: HWOT and writing letters to family

Math: We will use various math workbooks and start a formal curriculum for 1st grade. He also loves this website: www.ixl.com for practice drills

For fun we will use a few different books for science experiments such as http://www.amazon.com/Janice-VanClea.../dp/0787989282 andhttp://www.amazon.com/Simple-Science...8206240&sr=1-1

Still working out a loose "schedule" so we will see how that goes

SAH, homeschooling mama to DS (1/06) and DD (3/07)
Old 07-04-2010, 11:31 AM

Oh, this is a nice thread Lots to look at.

For whatever reason, I have a ton of different h/s stuff from pk-some 2nd grade stuff. Family have sent us stuff, and I have the bad habit of if I see a cool school type thing I think the boys will like I get it-especially if it's on sale.

But, I'm also a bit scattered as far as planning out a curriculum. So, I'm looking at both Barbara Beers-The phonics road to reading and spelling, and the Calvert curriculum. And I'll just add to that as ds has an interest in something, or I feel something is lacking-might as well use all the stuff we've acquired.

I have the book list from Five in a Row and we read those and will prob incorporate the method they use in our days also.

Are you near any co oop or h/s groups? We joined one and the support is amazing. I think we will all form some friendships as well.

With babies on the way, I wouldn't stress too much. For me, I definitely would want an already planned out curriculum if I knew I'd have infants and be a tad more unfocused and sleep deprived I'm trying to figure out how to school a 5 and 3yr old.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:25 PM

Five in a Row
Miquon Math Orange & Red book, supplemented with a lot of games
Misc. easy readers, supplemented with Progressive Phonics as necessary
Discovery Streaming Spanish

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.

User Tag List