What do you use for Math? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you use for Math? That about sums it up! I'm curious what everyone is using, if you like it, if your kids like it, do you find it adequate, whatever you'd like to share. I've just recently 'found' Miquon and MEP Math. I've ordered Singapore to try after reading so much about it. I bought the Miquon Lab Sheet Annotations used. I love it! It shows little copies of ALL of the worksheets from all of the levels. I'm so inspired by the ideas in this book. I've been looking at the lessons and worksheets on MEP and I love it too. I can't wait to see the lightbulbs next school year.

blogging.jpg

#2 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 12:55 AM

We're using RightStart and I feel really good about it! My kids aren't "mathy" nor was I. But I love that they are learning the concepts behind/the why of math that I was never taught. I think there are several math programs that do that well including RightStart. What I also like about RightStart is that it takes no prep time and is scripted. It's also "quick" for the kids and very active/hands on so I don't lose my attention deficit child as easily as I might with a worksheet based or longer programs.

Today for example we worked with the abacus and reviewed before/after concepts for a warm up (2 minutes maybe). We talked about opposites which led to reviewing more/less concepts (2 minutes tops) and did a more/less acitivity that involved our fingers (3 minutes tops). Then we had a more/less game with cards (5 minutes).

At this point it's a different concept so I could have stopped if we needed to and split the lesson. But we used tiles to work on grouping things so that we didn't have to count to determine quantity (5 minutes I'd guess). Finally, we used blocks to build exact replicas and then mirror image items (5-7 minutes).

It's really good for his attention span. So we're happy!

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 AM

Ds is a very quick learner and is always pushing the envelope with math (wanting to do multiplication/division, fractions, negatives, etc before mastering addition/subtraction facts). Our main program is Singapore because it has less repetition which doesn't really need. We also use the Challenging Word Problems books from Singapore which have been incredibly helpful. In addition, we're doing Miquon 1-2 days/week so ds can work with the more exciting concepts at his own pace.
#4 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 AM

I have a very bright math kiddo and we started with Singapore and Horizons. Though she does well with Horizons, I also discovered MEP and Miquon recently. We are currently trying out these two programs over the summer to see if we like them. We are about a week into them and they are a complete hit. My big girl grasps math concepts quickly and intuitively so they both are working very well for her.

I also think Horizons is a very strong math program as well with a fast moving pace and slightly advanced materials. It is more of a "traditional" approach whereas MEP and Miquon are more conceptual/problem solving imo. Horizons did have a bit too much repetition for her though and there were times when we were skipping activities and entire lessons.

So we are probably ultimately going to end up working Singapore with MEP and Miquon as a supplement.

ETA: I emailed the MEP Year 1a lesson plan and practice book to Staples and they printed and bound them for me for under $25. I had the Practice Book single sided and the lesson plan book double sided and bound like workbooks (not spiral). I like workbooks not loose-leaf so I had it done.
#5 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 11:06 AM

I think if I had to do elementary math again, I would do a combo of Singapore, MEP, and perhaps Miquon.

We used Singapore, some EPGY, toward middle school we supplemented with Zaccaro books and Creative Problem Solving by Lenchner. For secondary math we use primarily Art of Problem Solving books (we did read Life of Fred beginning algebra) We recently discovered MEP and we're using a few units of year 9 and moving on to GSCE level for some data analysis, statistics, and vector topics.
#6 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 11:54 AM

We use Miquon and just added Singapore - I love them both. The boys do math drills most days during math, but for an actual curriculum, we wanted a strong conceptual program and feel we have that with both Miquon and SM.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#7 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 12:00 PM

I just started formally homeschooling my 6 year old a few months ago, and we're using Miquon, we're just about 1/3 of the way through the Orange book.'

Question for those who use Miquon and Singapore together .. does it ever feel like too much? I'm inclined to add Singapore as well, just to round out our curriculum but I don't want to overwhelm him or get bogged down in too much workbook time. I love math, but so far ds seems fairly neutral/average ... not a whiz, but not really struggling either.
#8 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 12:01 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Miquon to start, then Singapore. Love the fast pace, the conceptual approach, the lack of unnecessary drill. Kids love the unintimidating presentation. I've taken four kids through this approach; my youngest has 1-2 years of Singapore Primary left. It has worked well for all of them.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#9 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neldavi View Post
Question for those who use Miquon and Singapore together .. does it ever feel like too much? I'm inclined to add Singapore as well, just to round out our curriculum but I don't want to overwhelm him or get bogged down in too much workbook time. I love math, but so far ds seems fairly neutral/average ... not a whiz, but not really struggling either.
We used Miquon and Singapore together. The approach that worked well for us was to start with Miquon and then weave Singapore in -- mostly to give practice with word problems and to see concepts presented in a different way. DS is more of a visual learner so starting with Miquon really clicked with him, and then practicing and reinforcing with the SM really seemed to fly.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#10 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 12:16 PM

We plan on using Math U See

My daughter doesn't grasp math very well and this seems like a program that would help her since it's more hands on.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(10),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#11 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 12:23 PM

Here is a nice chart that shows where the SM and Miquon topics "flow" together:

http://web.archive.org/web/200803070.../SM_Miquon.htm

We started Miquon last week with rod play and it's really clicking. My big girl has asked to use some of the lab sheets as well. After we use the rods a bit more then I'm going to begin to incorporate SM. My plan is to work with Miquon up to the chapter we are on in SM 1a then start using the two together.
#12 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 01:32 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We currently use Singapore and it works really well for us.

Next year, my 2nd grader will continue with Singapore, but my fifth grader will be using the Life of Fred (Fractions and Decimals) and Real Life Math. She wanted to try something without the "workbook" feel.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#13 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We're working on making our way through the Zaccaro books for my 12 yr old ds. We also use a regular college pre-algebra text, Real Life Math Mysteries, and we're just finishing Saxon 67.

My pre-ker is working on a math text from Rod & Staff that I really enjoy.

My 2 yr old likes to count sticks.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#14 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 04:38 PM

Jump Math http://jumpmath.org/publications
the first 40 or so pages of each book are printable from their site so you can try before you buy. Amazon carries many of the work books as well.

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#15 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I just started formally homeschooling my 6 year old a few months ago, and we're using Miquon, we're just about 1/3 of the way through the Orange book.'

I was originally going to just switch back and forth during the week, not worrying about lining up the concepts. But, I think what I'm going to end up doing is working in one (for right now, it's Singapore) either until we are at the end of a unit (or units), or hit a brick wall, and then pulling out the Miquon for a change of pace. I use the SM Standards Edition, so I would rather skip stuff in Miquon that is repetitive of the SM, and make sure to cover as much of the SM as possible (not that we test or worry about meeting state standards, but the standards for math in CA, at least, are pretty strong). So, after our brief "summer break" ends in July, we'll probably pull out the Miquon for a while and then go back to the SM (I think I have it timed that both my older two will be at the end of a unit when we go on break).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#16 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 PM

Math Mammoth and Math U See

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#17 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
We started with Miquon, and later moved to Singapore; however all my kids went through a 3 to 6-month transition between the two programs where they did a bit of one and a bit of the other. Far from being too much it actually made things easier and more enjoyable. That's because they could work away at one program, and when it began to seem tedious or frustrating they could switch to the other for a new perspective and a change of pace. In our case the pacing through the programs, and the choice of which to do, was entirely up to my kids, and I had no expectation that they'd move through things at any particular pace or do diligent daily work or any such thing. They did as much as they wanted from whatever program they wanted, and so the variety was great and there was no question of it being too much. It worked for us, and they ended up moving quite quickly, enjoying math a lot.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#18 of 32 Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 AM

We are using McRuffy 1st grade and will move to the second grade next year. I was a little nervous to use it because not many people do, but it has been wonderful for my DD. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun, easy to use, hands on math program. Topics are explained/practiced using manipulatives then you move on to 1 worksheet. Some days there is a short timed test, auditory problems they must solve, or a game. There are also logic/problem solving activities built into the program. Example they have to build structures out of cubes using pictures of all the views. These have been challenging for my DD and not the type of activity she would gravitate to on her own. All and all I'm happy with it and after much consideration will be continuing with it next year.
#19 of 32 Old 06-04-2010, 12:49 PM

We use a combination of Math Mammoth & Time-4-Learning. We have found that they are a great match!
#20 of 32 Old 06-05-2010, 02:31 PM

We're using Singapore and Math Mammoth and I really love the combo!

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#21 of 32 Old 06-05-2010, 02:39 PM

We use Singapore, with some Time4Learning on the side. We're putting Singapore away for the summer and just going with Time4Learning for a break from the workbooks.
#22 of 32 Old 06-05-2010, 05:48 PM

we've tried a ton of math programs & finally found the perfect fit for my daughter with CLE. we absolutely love it. for my son, i chose saxon next year because it's notoriously gentle for grade 1 (which he needs and lots of repetition). we'll ditch saxon for grade 2 though & switch to CLE in hopes it will also be a good fit.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#23 of 32 Old 06-05-2010, 11:16 PM

We use Making Math Meaningful for kindergarten and then Math U See. My high schooler has moved into Saxon now b/c that's what her tutor prefers.

Caefi
#24 of 32 Old 06-06-2010, 12:46 AM

RightStart A for us. We've tried MUS and a bit of Singapore, and I purchased/downloaded Miquon/MEP but RightStart was the perfect fit for us.

The disadvantage is that it currently only goes to level E. If it doesn't continue once we hit that, then we'll switch to Singapore.

Feel free to look at our blog for posts on our experiences with RightStart and MUS. I'm not sure I blogged much on Singapore Kindergarten, but we do the workbook occasionally.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#25 of 32 Old 06-06-2010, 01:16 AM

We use Singapore and Miquon, and we love the combo!

We go back and forth from focusing on one to the other, but have mostly focused on Miquon toward the end of the year, Singapore at the beginning.

I find the two together more than adequate---we definitely don't do every worksheet or review section.

I also make a point to do hands-on Montessori-style or family math type activities pretty regularly so that we don't get stuck in worksheet mode.

Happy and in love with my family!
#26 of 32 Old 06-06-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caefi View Post
We use Making Math Meaningful for kindergarten and then Math U See. .
we used MMM this year too with my son. we went through levels K & most of level 1. it is very good. my dd used it through level 2, but we never went beyond that.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#27 of 32 Old 06-07-2010, 12:02 AM

We use Rightstart and MEP both. I love them both too much to only use one.
#28 of 32 Old 06-07-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I don't usually line up the concepts (tho that chart ^ is great for seeing where the sections overlap!). For some areas, like time, I pulled out pages from each book and stapled them together to make "packets" DD really likes to go to town on "packet math".

But usually we just work in one book til we get bored or stuck or need a change and then switch to the other. I follow dd's lead on it, and we stick mostly with Miquon because of that.

I will say that we skip the review sections in Singapore unless it seems like she's stuck and needs a little more practice. The review sections make up a big part of the book, so taking those out has made our Miquon/Singapore program a lot less bulky.

Happy and in love with my family!
#29 of 32 Old 06-07-2010, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#30 of 32 Old 06-07-2010, 05:54 PM

We currently use CLE Math. I like that it's mostly self-taught, so I can hand it over and let the kids do it. It seems to cover everything that we need it to.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page