Singapore Primary Math 1A & 1B, which books to order??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some help. I am going to order Primary Math 1A and 1B for my 6 yr old to work on over the summer. The problem is that since I am not able to really get my hands on the books before buying them, I am confused as to which books I really need. Also, which manipulatives did you find most helpful? I was thinking about getting the tens block and clock. I think the other items, I can improvise with stuff at home.

They offer...

Textbook
Workbook
Instructor Guide
Extra Practice
Tests
#2 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 12:24 PM

Is he going into 1st grade or 2nd? If he is going into first I would get 1a with work book/textbook and maybe HIG. Going into second iI think just the work books......
#3 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 12:31 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We just finished with 1B. We used the workbook. I didn't find a need for the textbook at all. I would also skip the extra practice and the tests. There is PLENTY of practice within the workbook itself. And, if you did get the textbook, there is practice there too. I don't know anything about the Instructors guide so I will let someone else talk about that. I would just buy the workbook and tens block. The workbook is very picture based and (at this level) seems to do everything. The tens block would be VERY HELPFUL for the student -- buy it unless you have something at home already. We made our own out of beads and pipecleaners, but that is because I wanted it for immediate use and local store was out of rods. In 1B you don't ever get to where you need the flat (100 unit piece).

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#4 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetoo View Post
Is he going into 1st grade or 2nd? If he is going into first I would get 1a with work book/textbook and maybe HIG. Going into second iI think just the work books......
Thanks ladies! I guess I am confused, b/c I read about ppl saying that the HIG was really useful, but other posts that they only got workbooks. He's going into first grade. I think I will probably stick with the wkbk, text, HIG and blocks.
#5 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 04:26 PM

I've read that the HIG is more helpful for the 2A + levels... we're partway through 1A and I don't notice any issues due to not having the HIG. We've got the Extra Practice and I'm liking it, I like how it helps deeper understanding, at least for where my daughter's starting at.
#6 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 05:42 PM

We are almost done with 1a. We use the textbook for discussing the lesson then my big girl does a little in the workbook for application. I also found that Cuisenaire Rods made 1a a breeze.
#7 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post
We just finished with 1B. We used the workbook. I didn't find a need for the textbook at all.
ditto, I think the HIGs come into play more w the later books.

Happy and in love with my family!
#8 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post
We are almost done with 1a. We use the textbook for discussing the lesson then my big girl does a little in the workbook for application. I also found that Cuisenaire Rods made 1a a breeze.
So, I wouldn't need the 10's blocks? I have c-rods already at home.
#9 of 16 Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 AM

Can I also ask- what do we NEED for second grade? Thank you! ( not trying at all to hijack , I could start another thread if I should)???
#10 of 16 Old 06-05-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
So, I wouldn't need the 10's blocks? I have c-rods already at home.
Honestly, it depends on your kiddo - some need lots of manips. and some don't. We use SM with Miquon so I incorporate c-rods with both. We just started Miquon so we recently started using the rods. We completed most of SM without and it went fine but adding the rods made me think "wow, cool!"
#11 of 16 Old 06-05-2010, 02:22 PM

I really like the HiG- I'm a really orderly person and it lays it all out and tells you which lessons and lesson parts are most important.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#12 of 16 Old 06-05-2010, 02:45 PM

I would just go with Workbook and Textbook. I ordered the HIG's for 2B and 3A and didn't end up using them at all. When we used 1B and 2A, I used a guide published by My Father's World. Their guide outlines assignments for a semester, combining the Textbook and Workbook. I liked having it laid out for me, and that the assignments came from a book (and not me!).
#13 of 16 Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 PM

I am finding the textbook helpful for parts of 2b and probably will buy it for 3a. I have a hig for 2b and there is a lot of info in it, but I think I will wait until we start getting in over our heads a bit more - I find plenty of practice in the workbook to reinforce the skills learned.
#14 of 16 Old 06-10-2010, 08:38 AM

Right now I am using the textbooks only - not the workbooks or teacher's guides. Our son does not need a bunch of problems to work to get a concept down, and the textbooks provide enough problems. The textbook also provides the graphical explanation of the "Singapore" way to do the problem, which I don't already know, so I need that explanation. He does not work the problems in the book itself - I just write them down on a sheet of paper for him. Also there are many places where I can generate or print practice problems online for free if he needs more practice. The only other books I have bought from Singapore are the new Challenging Word Problems books.

As for manipulatives, our son is still not into memorization and is using a manipulative approach to math. I am going to let him use his manipulatives as long as he chooses them, until he really starts to understand on his own about the numbers and doesn't need them anymore. I have a whole variety of types of manipulatives he can use. I have linking cubes, a vertical abacus (called a linkable abacus - hard to find here now), a set of 200 1" wooden cubes (from a place called Casey's Wood Products), sets of colored bears, poker chips, a set of the 1000 cube, 100 squares, 10 rods and individual blocks from Didax, a bead abacus, and a number line. I just let him pick what he wants to use. I like having such a variety for him to choose from. I did not buy any of these from Singapore Math. Some are from Didax, some are from Rainbow Resources, and some are from other places.

He is also doing well now with using the Singapore methods on paper. He is learning that he can just use marks on paper as manipulatives and not need anything else. As he gets more used to that way, he is choosing it more and more.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#15 of 16 Old 06-11-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I got totally sidetracked, b/c it has been so busy, so I haven't ordered anything yet, but have found everyone's comments very helpful.
#16 of 16 Old 06-11-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

OK, finally got around to ordering. This is what I got...

Math Express Speed Maths Strategies 1
Challenging Word Problems for Primary Mathematics 1
Textbook for 1A & 1B (stds edition)
Workbooks for 1A & 1B (stds edition)

It should be here in about a wk or so, so we'll see how it works out. A friend of mine really recommended the speed math and word problems, since she said her dd got a lot out of it. It sounds like most ppl think that the HIG isn't needed at this level and btwn DH and I, we should be able to figure it out since we were above avg in math when we were in school. DH also had a few yrs of education before he moved to the US from South Korea as a kid, so he's familiar with this type of math system. Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page