Name this Manipulative! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-11-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what it's called or where I can get it.

They're like tangrams for learning the alphabet. Lines and curves, and you put them together to form different letters. I think they have 2 different sets for upper and lower case. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I have some made of paper, but I want some sturdy ones to last all 3 kids.

TIA!

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#2 of 11 Old 06-11-2010, 02:10 PM

Is it the Handwriting Without Tears wooden pieces set? They only have them for capital letters, but I think someone recently mentioned similar sets with pieces for upper and lower case selling on eBay.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#3 of 11 Old 06-11-2010, 02:49 PM

I purchased a lower case set from this eBay seller: http://myworld.ebay.com/druekegames

It doesn't appear that he has lower case at the moment, but the uppercase are available from him or many other sites. They are great! GL!

Mama to my beautiful boys born 6/29/06, 7/29/08, & 11/09/10.
#4 of 11 Old 06-11-2010, 05:53 PM

Lakeshorelearning.com has these letter builders in both capital and lower case.
#5 of 11 Old 06-17-2010, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

You were right! The letter builders from Lakeshore are exactly what I was looking for! But . . . out of my price range.

So I saw something called Wikki Stix at my local educational store today. Has anyone used those or can anyone tell me if they're worth getting?

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#6 of 11 Old 06-17-2010, 12:00 PM
AAK

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I haven't used them, but I have a book that actually suggests the wikki stix.

We just used craft sticks. This probably wasn't best, because the letters with curves were all pointy. But, my dd thought that was fun/funny so it kept her engaged. At the same time, I didn't have her do it on a template--I was doing it to see if she could recall the letter's shape. So, she could make it as big/small as she wanted.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#7 of 11 Old 06-17-2010, 12:54 PM

We use Wikki stix all the time for crafting. They're a lot of fun. DD is beyond the stage of using them for letter recognition but they should work. They're basically waxy covered string... but strong that they hold the shape--not like a floppy string. imagine something like a pipe cleaner but instead of having a wire and chenille fuzz, they are waxy. They're much easier to manipulate than pipe cleaners.

Holli
#8 of 11 Old 06-17-2010, 12:58 PM

Can you trace your paper ones onto thicker tag board (or cereal boxes) or maybe even magnets (like the freebie ones you get free in junk mail ads) and make your own stronger set? Do craft stores have bigger sheets (8.5 x 11) of that thin magnet board?
#9 of 11 Old 06-17-2010, 02:52 PM

I think Wikki Sticks are a great idea. When we go to a restaurant called Harvey's, they give our child Wikki Sticks instead of the standard crayons and coloring sticks. So simple a concept, and yet they intensely consume my dd for an hour at a time. So if the Wikki sticks don't work for your purpose (and I actually think they will work fine), you will still have a very simple inexpensive neat reusable crafty item that will fascinate your child.
#10 of 11 Old 06-18-2010, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's a link to instructions on how to make letter builders. I'm hesitant to do the download, though, because I don't want to risk a virus: http://confessionsofahomeschooler.bl...-builders.html

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#11 of 11 Old 06-18-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilysmama View Post
I think Wikki Sticks are a great idea. When we go to a restaurant called Harvey's, they give our child Wikki Sticks instead of the standard crayons and coloring sticks. So simple a concept, and yet they intensely consume my dd for an hour at a time. So if the Wikki sticks don't work for your purpose (and I actually think they will work fine), you will still have a very simple inexpensive neat reusable crafty item that will fascinate your child.
One of our favorite vacation restaurants gives out Wikki Sticks, too! My kids had never seen them before, and one chose playing over eating. We're used to boxing up entire meals for her.

Great idea, using Wikki Sticks as a manipulative.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page