Head of the Class? Free curriculum!? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-13-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone used this Head of the Class ?

It's supposedly free and looks kinda neat.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#2 of 6 Old 06-13-2010, 03:31 PM

Someone linked it here before and I signed up for it and promptly forgot about it . Thanks for the reminder to check it out
#3 of 6 Old 06-13-2010, 04:37 PM

I was unimpressed. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I didn't "get it" and it seemed kind of pointless and uninteresting. I guess it didn't quite fit my experience with other online currics.
#4 of 6 Old 06-13-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
I was unimpressed. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I didn't "get it" and it seemed kind of pointless and uninteresting. I guess it didn't quite fit my experience with other online currics.
In looking it over, it seems like the issue is that, while it seems like an online curriculum, it really isn't. The lessons are actually in the ebooks that you download - sometimes they have things online to go along with it. and you print the lesson supplies (work sheets, pictures for activities, etc) from the "dashboard". The little videos with most of the lessons (at least the ones I looked at) didn't really seem to relate to the lessons themselves. I think it could be useful as a source of ideas, but not something that kids can just long on to and go (like I assume something like Time4Learning is, though I've never used it).
#5 of 6 Old 06-13-2010, 09:44 PM

i actually like it. i probably wouldn't use it since it would just be additional work to what we already have planned - but i think it looks pretty cool. i set up accounts for my kids to see how it works, and i felt it was fairly easy to navigate. i liked that it gave the option of skipping assignments & i also like that you can adjust the subjects to be easier or more difficult, etc. it seems to cover a lot but leaves space to tailor it for the learner.

anyway ...for free, it certainly is a good find! if you don't like it, no big loss, ykwim? it sort of reminds me of another free curriculum site that was also fairly good & was discussed here about a year ago or so...i wish i could remember the name of it. if i think of it, i'll post back though. you may like that one as well.

ETA: found it! http://www.lessonpathways.com/

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#6 of 6 Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 AM

I love it. I found it fairly easy to navigate and well worth the effort. You can select "custom curriculum" and only had the lesson plans you like as well as outside assignments from other sites. You can assign assessments by grade level as often as you like and then print them out for your records. It will also keep track of all the online assignments and grades. There is loads of online work to assign as well as many printouts. For the printout worksheets you have the option of entering the grade into the computer and the site will calculate it in with the online work and give them a grade for each subject. I like Lesson Pathways as well but this is by far my favorite. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page