Pre-Homeschool Summer Chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 132 Old 06-26-2010, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
I highly recommend reading this book about how preschool kids learn. http://www.amazon.com/Einstein-Never...7390699&sr=8-1

It's really good and really easy to read. One of the things they talk about is why it is better for kids this age to play rather than do academics. You may be better able to gear your homeschooling to what will best help your kids if you read this book.
I'm going to try to reserve this one from the library! Care to share a few of the
key points in the book?

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

#62 of 132 Old 06-26-2010, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaby View Post
I'm going to try to reserve this one from the library! Care to share a few of the
key points in the book?
The bottom line is: Read to your kids, talk to your kids, let them play, and don't worry about academics at this age.

It's all about studies that have been done (though it's written in a really easy to read style.)

The study that struck me the most compared kids in academic based preschools and play based preschools. By the end of K, they were academically identical, but the kids with the academic background were not as creative and were more anxious than the kids who were allowed to just play. I wish they'd also looked at a group of kids who stayed home and were allowed to just play.

Another study looked at the effects of how parents talked to their kids. The more positive and less negative talk that the kids experienced, the better they did.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#63 of 132 Old 06-26-2010, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my gosh, we finally found a craft for DD - beading I'd pretty much despaired of ever doing anything crafty with her but my birth necklace for DS broke and she's been getting it out and trying to fix it at every opportunity. In the midst of telling her to put it away because it's really precious to me and I was worried some of the beads would get lost I realised...She's really enjoying this!
So we headed out today to the only store in town which sold beads (a waaaaaaaaaay over-priced touristy toy shop ) and she's been happily beading away for an hour
I'm so pleased. This is the child who hates drawing, doesn't colour-in, dislike cutting & pasting, doesn't enjoy playdough etc etc etc Woohoo, we found something she likes

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#64 of 132 Old 06-27-2010, 01:30 PM

hi everyone!
I have ordered a couple of books for activity ideas and am constantly printing things off the Internet. We are trying to do at least one a week. I guess that is not very much, haha, but I don't think my kids nor I could tolerate too much more than that.
We go to a program (different musical acts, a puppet show, a reptile show, etc) at our library every week which is fun. My son likes it but is too scared to participate. They have a lot of fun things going on this summer at the various libraries nearby and we'd probably do most of them (my oldest loooves leaving the house--as do I!), but I have such a hard time with both of my children together. The one year old wouldn't sit still for any of it anyway.
I would love to sign my 3 year old up for gymnastics or a playball class but it is too expensive (plus he is so scared of everything so I'm not sure how that would work). Adding that as well as memberships to museums/the aquarium/the zoo to our Christmas/birthday wishlists, hehe.
We were going to parks every day but it is way too hot now. We're all annoying each other being stuck inside.
Thanks to everyone for sharing links and book ideas! My hold list at the library is at the maximum number already, haha, but I'll be adding those to the list soon!

oh noo
#65 of 132 Old 06-27-2010, 04:38 PM

Kind of randomly this week we decided to do some activities related to "The Story About Ping". We have read and learned a bit about China. We are visiting the duck pond nearby. DD colored a paper doll and dressed her in traditional Chinese clothing. We did a "what floats" experiment. So far it's been really fun. I'm enjoying learning about China as well. We read a cool book about inventions/food/animals/etc from China. Now the kids want to have a dinner here where we eat food that originated in China (they were particularly swayed by the peaches, ice cream, and spaghetti!) We will learn about the life cycle of the duck as well. So that's our focus for the week.

We are also planning on going to pick blueberries, since the season just started here. We are working in the garden a lot, observing the toad who lives under the peas, watching our one remaining butterfly (couldn't release her because she came out with broken wings).

That's about it for us for this week.

-chelsea dust.gif
#66 of 132 Old 06-28-2010, 02:43 PM

so....ds is starting to get into numbers and counting now so I am trying to come up with a structured way to fit everything in that interests him. Obviously at 2.5 he doesn't have th attention span to do counting, ABC, etc activities every day, all of them, so I've been doing ABC stuff one day and then math stuff the next day. I also found a couple books at the library with "science experiments" for preschoolers and easy, cheap art projects. We're signed up for the summer reading program and going on "field trips" at least 2x a week. It's a lot of work because I take one of ds friends with us when we go places, but ds is loving it.

Last week we did a special story presentation at the library one day, and then balloon art at another library another day. This week the library is having a bird show and a reptile show. So stuff like that is filling our days and ds is learning so much and having a really good time. The other day he told me, "mommy I don't want to go to bed yet." I said, "well, it's time to go to sleep, I know you're tired." He goes, "no, I'm not. I'm nocturnal." lol he learned that at one of the library events we went to.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#67 of 132 Old 06-29-2010, 01:42 PM

tired. mini-vent.

DS1 is 7 months past 4. He has an IEP due to a profound artculation delay.

he had 4 days of esy this summer -- they are doing a camp like thing -3 adults, 5 kids (all boys ) one hour 2 days in june, 2 in july.

so it was yesterday adn today.

he was silly by the end yesterday adn today again when i picked him up -- silly. then i saw the KOOLAID CHILLER (RED) they had for snack. wtf???? what happened to milk or water at school?????

then the ST who i do actually really like, who is working with DS2 too and who we've worked with since before Ds1 was 3 ....well she stars in to "he really had fun, he does great with the other kids, are you sure you won't reconsider preschool this fall? Even one day, not all 4? well just think about it"

BANG HEAD

1. even if we were going to use public school we would not use pre-school. it is nothing more than free daycare -- i am home, he doesn't need to go be "watched" by others who DON'T watch.

2. KOOLAID ... need i say more. I never allowed that crap at all and now we are on a restricted diet .. but just as general parenting -- sugar water with bright fake colors has never been allowed.

3. ok he likes it -- so -- that doesn't mean it is good for him. He'd LIKE to eat a whold batch of cookie dough too -- should i send him off to do that too? I HATE the "he likes it" or "he/she wants to" "argument" -- uh they are CHILDREN what they like is not a decision maker --

I let him go to VBS -- 3 hours a day X 5 days last week ... i THOUGHT that would be safe enough .....he came home 3 out of 4 days crying and 1 day so mad i still don't know what happned. he didn't eat 4 days beacuse of his self-limits on food and snack not meeting them. AND to top it off -- now he is telling me he HATES things and things are BOREING .. neither are terms he knew or used before a 15 hours with his "peer group" and THAT was are Vacation Bible School in a church setting with a curriculm that is great and a driector i like, trust adn respect -- what can i fear from public school ???????

:i rked

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#68 of 132 Old 06-29-2010, 02:52 PM

Momma Aimee,

I'm so sorry about your experience. Due to extreme circumstances we had to put our son in preschool for 2.5 months. I knew he'd start in with guns and killing, and was horrified at the prospect, but I felt between the proverbial rock and hard place. After we took him out, I found out he had often been victimized because he "spoke with his words, not his hands." He was a great role model for the other kids, but to his detriment. (And this was a very good preschool.)

So, I understand your frustrations (though kool aid would send me through the roof.)

The one good thing that came out of our experience was he knows he doesn't like school, so we are unlikely to get any requests to go to school based on some idealized fantasy. AND, the gun talk did eventually stop. I would just tell him, "It makes me sad when you pretend to hurt someone." Hopefully your guy's boredom talk will end, too.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#69 of 132 Old 06-29-2010, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Momma Aimee How frustrating. Koolaid would make me livid

#70 of 132 Old 06-30-2010, 12:13 AM

Bright, artificial food dyes are the devil, but sadly, the majority of people don't think twice. I'm more saddened by that act than anything.

I hate the "I'm bored" phrase! DS started saying that one a couple of months ago too. Not sure where he learned that one. I'm thinking from TV, though I don't specifically remember which show might have been the culprit.

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

#71 of 132 Old 06-30-2010, 11:09 AM

We went to the science museum yesterday to see the human brain exhibit. My small girl had four little boys running after her! LOL!
#72 of 132 Old 07-04-2010, 11:56 AM

Hi! May I join in?

Thanks for sharing all the links and discussions! What a great find!

My kids are 4y6m DS & 1y7m DD. They're so awesome (if occasionally exasperating!) I love watching them learn. Something about watching those little faces light up! You can just see the connections! Just makes my Mama heart shine! <3

So, what they're up to now. DS is showing some of the reading readiness signs! He loves the letter magnets and makes long strings of letters for me to sound out. I'm also putting up the cat picture magnet with the letters c-a-t underneath & sounding them out. He does know a few words -- which is yes and which is no kinda thing -- but I think he's gonna be a whole word reader. So he may not read for a while, yet. As for writing, he's not interested. But he will construct letters out of blocks or string, so I know he is processing.

He begs me to do schoolwork everyday when the baby is asleep. Sometimes we do workbooks (I usually write his answers -- except for the handwriting workbook), often we read, talk, play ball, bake, gaarden, collect bugs (dead or alive!) or play the harder internet games (Splitter, or stuff on PBS kids Go where you need to read). We're printing out the little books from Starfall.com about once a week. We're learing some ASL and some Spanish.

Baby Girl loves ring around the rosie, pat-a-cake, and her big brother! She says "1,2,B!" whenever she sees a letter and says "7,8,7!" when she sees numbers!

We don't get out much -- only one car right now, and I work part-time. But we make it to the beach, library and to see family and friends now and then. Thankfully, the rains of Alex have past and we can get back out into the kiddie pool!

Oops! Baby's awake! Later!

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#73 of 132 Old 07-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Welcome rockportmama.

Yesterday I put some water in a clear measuring glass. My son and I noted what line the water was at. Then we put in a little rock to see what would happen. Then we put in a big rock and saw what happened. Then a ball that floated. (Then he put the big rock on top of the ball.) Once he made the connection about displacement, we talked about what would happen to the water if his baby sister took a bath, he took a bath, and Daddy took a bath.

Such fun.

He's also decided he likes tomatoes grown in our garden.

#74 of 132 Old 07-06-2010, 03:36 AM

Just subbing mostly.... finding lots of ideas and glad to have a place to chat with other moms doing similar things.

Becky
#75 of 132 Old 07-08-2010, 04:21 PM

so ds has finished the preschool learn to count math through hooked on phonics, and he finished up a kindergarten math workbook through hooked on phonics and the next set up is addition and subtraction and these workbooks look like he definitely needs to be proficient in writing, so i am wondering what is another good math workbook to use probably K level? He has mastered counting 1-20 and the k hop workbook was numbers 1-100 and he could use some more work on the larger numbers, specifically 50-100, but i don't want to get a workbook that is too below his level? any suggestions?

despite being not sure about continuing homeschooling beyond the pre-k level, i went ahead and ordered a huge Hooked on phonics set for grades K-2 because it was an awesome deal, and i plan to finish up Ds's pre-k HOP reading set by the end of the summer. I am going to start up the learn to print set after he finishes the HOP letter sounds work book and see how the learn to print goes.

So i am pretty much planning to have this fall be a trial run for homeschooling and I am looking at it as his Kindergarten year, not sure if i will document it or not, I may decide to so that i can get into practice of doing it and hoping it will help me decide by next spring if we will continue homeschooling him or not. I am just very indecisive about many things in life, so this is a big decision, dh is really cool with either choice at this point in elementary school.

I do enjoy Hooked phonics and ds does a lot too which is why i chose to continue with it, despite liking the free progressive phonics. But we will use that too on occasion. LOL as i type this my ds is hugging the HOP posters on the wall, kids are so funny!

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#76 of 132 Old 07-08-2010, 06:01 PM

mommaaimee I know it can be hard when others influence our children, that is alot of the reason we are considering homeschooling. I know ds gets some bad influence from tv, cousins and sometimes even dh, but it isn't a daily constant thing like public school/daycare is, kwim? My ds doesn't like the gym daycare much either, he goes max 5 hours a week, normally like 3 to 4, and i just wonder if he is like that for some daycare that is suppose to be fun, how hard is it going to be to convince him to go to public school 5 times a week?

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#77 of 132 Old 07-10-2010, 11:41 AM

Hi ladies

I haven't been posting much but we are still official preschool for a few more months. J started swimming lessons and is loving them! He already is swimming with his head up, doing a dead mans float, and swimming under water. We have had lots of playdates and park days. Both kids have been pretty into crafts lately so we have been doing a lot of those. Oh and lego of course!

I did decide on what to use for K too. He is academically ready for a lot of first grade work, but I decided to do K level instead. We will be doing McRuffy K math and LA. McRuffy is very hands on and fun, plus I think the K is a little bit advanced so it should work perfect! I don't want to push him ahead. I want him to feel smart and confident. Plus I want a laid back year.
#78 of 132 Old 07-10-2010, 02:07 PM

My son has been watching a lot of "how it's made" on youtube. He especially likes to watch the cooking ones. He's been asking to make donuts. Fortunately one of them has a recipe for baked donuts. They taste like sweet biscuits with chocolate glaze. We made them the other day and had a blast.

Right now he's coloring eggs. I got a couple extra packs of egg colors after Easter. Randomly he likes to color eggs. I limit him to one or two colors at a time to make the colors last longer. We have our own chickens and he colors the eggs uncooked so we can still use them for all our egg needs. (I hardly ever have need for hard-boiled eggs.)

#79 of 132 Old 07-12-2010, 03:03 PM

I'm a bit new here. Can I join in!? DS will be 3 this fall so we're going to start preschool. ...actually, we're dipping our toes into it now. I've picked up some Kumon books and he loves tracing and learning to color in the lines. I also give him plenty of blank paper b/c he love's drawing and then telling me a story...which I write at the bottom of the page. When we're shopping I have him count out the apples and oranges, etc that we're buying. He also loves to help cook/bake. This fall, I'm leaning toward using LOTW as a guideline so that I can have weekly goals. He knows colors, shapes and counts well. I want to work on recognizing numbers and letters. As soon as he gets up from nap, I'm taking him to get a library card and let him check out books for the first time.

~Danielle
Mama to Sean (11/1/07), Maddy (4/1/09) and "Jellybean" (due 1/3/12)
My blog: www.mamamusingsblog.blogspot.com
#80 of 132 Old 07-14-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaby View Post
Speaking of the different rates that kids develop, what is normal/typical in terms of writing skills at this age?
DD is almost 3.5. She writes a few letters, and she's written her name once with my help, but she doesn't have a whole lot of interest right now. My main learning interests for her are learning to swim, learning to use her scooter, and learning how to do buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post
He has mastered counting 1-20 and the k hop workbook was numbers 1-100 and he could use some more work on the larger numbers, specifically 50-100, but i don't want to get a workbook that is too below his level? any suggestions?
DD learned to count to 100 by playing Shoots and Ladders.
#81 of 132 Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 PM

Hi I'm Fajr =0) This will be my first year homeschooling my 5 yo . Any advice? BTW I have a four-month old so any tips on homeschooling while also tending to younger children would be super appreciated =0)
#82 of 132 Old 07-20-2010, 07:49 PM

Hi all! I am new to homeschooling this year and will be (and kind of already am) homeschooling my 8yo son this year. We are going to try a med-free (ADHD) year and he just can't be med-free and successful in a class full of 25-30 other little distractions so we're trying homeschooling. If all goes well, I may eventually end up homeschooling the rest (he has three younger siblings), but I really like the kids private Catholic Montessori school, so i'm happy with them staying there for now while I figure this thing out with my oldest. So far we've been doing some casual cave activities and reading and watching (he loves NOVA) and learning all about caves in preparation for our caving expedition this weekend. We're going to take the two hour "rustic" tour of Mystery Cave in *******, MN. And he's already been asking all about the Wabasha Street gangster caves in St. Paul so I think a little history prep and a visit there will be next on our agenda.

Follow the misadventures of my multi-generational, holistic-minded, attention-deficit, tempestuous family of 7 at motheringfromthemaelstrom.blogspot.com
#83 of 132 Old 07-22-2010, 02:20 PM

Can we talk about overscheduling? how many activities do you all have your three year olds in? i don't think we'd do any if she were in pre-K, but with a 700 sq apartment, no yard, and four people living here, I'm tempted to sign her up for classes that get her body moving - but we've never done classes previously, and I'm worried about overdoing it.
#84 of 132 Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Depending on the kid I might do one or two activities a day and make sure there's plenty of time for free play. Going to the park is always a good idea. We did storytime at a library with a park. After storytime the regulars would bring picnic lunches that we would all eat and the kids would play.

#85 of 132 Old 07-22-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
Depending on the kid I might do one or two activities a day and make sure there's plenty of time for free play. Going to the park is always a good idea. We did storytime at a library with a park. After storytime the regulars would bring picnic lunches that we would all eat and the kids would play.
jealous.

at 3 my older son could not handle any "ordered" activity -- ve did lib gorup with a lot, a lot, of help.

but walks are free. Park day with a local homeschool or LLL group.

I agree I'd HAVE to get my 3 yo out of 700 sq feet jsut to use his / their bodies ....but it doesn't have to be a class unless you think it is worthwhile and she can handle it.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#86 of 132 Old 07-22-2010, 05:17 PM

When my DD was 3 1/2 we did a half-hour swimming class twice a week and she went to a one hour class on Sundays at the church. I tried doing a once a week craft time (it was 1 1/2 hours, I think) as well, but that wasn't the right fit for her.

We also did a community playgroup - probably every other week for 2 hours.

Those were our "organzied" activities.

Tjej
#87 of 132 Old 07-23-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
jealous.

at 3 my older son could not handle any "ordered" activity -- ve did lib gorup with a lot, a lot, of help.

but walks are free. Park day with a local homeschool or LLL group.

I agree I'd HAVE to get my 3 yo out of 700 sq feet jsut to use his / their bodies ....but it doesn't have to be a class unless you think it is worthwhile and she can handle it.
Maybe I should clarify: park district for fall (August-end of December) is coming up. My daughter hated going out in the cold last year and would not do it. So she stayed inside. A lot. i'm trying to think of how to help her move her body more when it's cold and she might resist going out again. However, 1-2 classes a day would be WAY too much for us.
#88 of 132 Old 07-23-2010, 05:16 PM

I have two children ages 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 and we are trying the Abekka computer class as an supplement to all the other things we do. Have you all done anything like this ?
Have any of you used how to teach your child to read in a 100 easy lessons ? My oldest wants to read so bad. She can sound out all the letters and write most of them.
Philia
#89 of 132 Old 07-24-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
Can we talk about overscheduling? how many activities do you all have your three year olds in? i don't think we'd do any if she were in pre-K, but with a 700 sq apartment, no yard, and four people living here, I'm tempted to sign her up for classes that get her body moving - but we've never done classes previously, and I'm worried about overdoing it.
Some of the year DD was three she was overscheduled...imo. But I'm not her, none of the classes she did were because I chose them. She was um, a gentle way of putting it is obsessive about ballet and two classes a week (plus hours of dancing along to dvds or youtube) was barely enough to satisfy her. She also took a tumbling (gymnastics) class and tap for a while. So yep, all about moving the body. I would have been more than happy to stick with just one ballet class once a week but it's her life, her interest, her choice.
What does your DD want to do?
It's the middle of he school year here and term has just started. I think I have her convinced to stick with just one ballet class and a violin lesson a week plus an unschool group meet-up monthly. Here's hoping anyway

#90 of 132 Old 07-25-2010, 02:12 AM

I agree that overscheduling depends on the child. Some kids thrive on lots of structured classes/activities and others shy away from them. DS used to take 2-3 park classes per week with a regular playgroup when he was 2 and seemed to love it. Now, at 3, he prefers to play with his toys at home. Some days his version of "going out" is stepping outside to the yard and have me push him on the swing.

I think signing up for a couple of classes in the colder months is a good idea to have an excuse to get out of the house. I think at age 3, even having one fun thing to look forward to per day is enough. Class on Mon, Grocery on Tues, Short walk around the neighborhood or a fun craft project on Wed, Class on Thurs, Playing with friends on Friday, Breakfast with papa on Sat, etc.

Kids need time to be kids. We don't need to entertain them all the time. I think adults often forget how fascinating their world is to them and we sometimes feel that if we're not stimulated by an activity, that they must not be either. If she refuses to go out but needs some physical activity, put on some lively music and have a dance party, play laundry sorting relay races or stuffy toy basketball, try some yoga together on DVD, act out a story (complete with chase scenes & car crashes) & put it on video. Home can be fun too

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page