oak meadow or enki? what are the differences? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm now trying to decide which of these i should get, i've also looked at christopherus curriculum, but from the websites the enki and oak meadow looked a bit more like what i'm looking for.
can anyone explain the difference between these two as i can't decide what to get. thanks,

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 07:39 AM

These are two totally different approaches. Enki is a lifestyle approach and combines many different learning styles. Oak meadow is more traditional with a waldorf flair. I personally love Enki and I think that however you purchase it (in a package with support or separate with no support)that you get much more for your money. I would suggest going to the enki experience yahoo group and attending one of their pre purchase calls. It really depends on your child's needs.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

blessedmum thanks so much for your post. i will check out that yahoo group. i'm interested in waldorf ideas, but not completely sure its right for my dd. i'm still trying to work out what her needs are, i do know that she gets bored and frustrated easily!
can you explain a bit about how enki and oak meadow meet different needs as that might help me a bit to know which would be best for dd, its difficult to find this out from looking at the websites. thanks.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:54 PM

If she gets bored easily i would tend to lean towards enki. Oak meadow is a one size fits all kind of program. It has a daily schedule and prescribed reading I think that after k/1 they use main stream saxon math(I could be wrong about this).
Enki is more about rhythm in your life and choosing stories/activities to fit your child. It combines montessori waldorf and other approaches. It is very multicultural and uses an immersion theory ie stories are told through the eyes of the person you are learning about not told about the person(you can read more about this on the web site). Enki gives you binders for each subject filled with stories/ activities-my favorite is the movement circle time. You then choose which ones best fit your child at any given time. If you buy as a package-which I did not- you get monthly consult calls with Beth who wrote/ compiled the curriculum. Many people find this helpful especially if you are new to HS or have special needs.
If you want something all laid out though; oak meadow has the schedule to follow, but is more traditional/classical approach.
I don't know if I answered any of your concerns. If you have particular concerns I can try to answer or I would do one of the pre purchase calls. They are pretty good at figuring if it would be a good fit for you. Beth is really insightful.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

blessedmum, thanks that really is helpful to have your opinion of them. i'm still not sure which one to go with because i don't quite know what my dd would prefer as she seems to need structure but it has to be the right structure or she looses it! i will contact them direct to find out more. i just don't want to get one and then regret not getting the other one!! thanks again!

User Tag List