Any CA-based high school home schoolers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2010, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a tutor that's working with a high schooler - his parents want me to home school him for his senior year, and they were very excited about some flexibility in his curriculum. He's very interested in martial arts, for example, and we were going to do a History of Martial Arts course, studying from Ancient Japanese samurai all the way through modern MMA and the historical and cultural implications and significance.

But we've hit a snag in trying to get him enrolled somewhere. The private schools online have pre-prepared curricula, and the public charters they were hoping to do for $ reasons are even worse - because of No Child Left Behind, it's impossible to do anything except standardized online courses with certified teachers, which are just torture for this kid with severe ADD.

What do you guys do? Are your high schoolers enrolled in an online program? Has anyone filed a private school affidavit instead and just established their own private school, and if so, do you have any experience on how that translates to colleges? His parents are NOT crunchy in any way, and as excited as they are to see their unmotivated son starting to care about his courses, they're very hesitant to do anything too outside the mainstream - like a GED, or worries about truancy, or making sure he goes to a traditional 4-year college in 2011. I am a tutor with 12 years experience, but not CA-credentialed, so I am not allowed to teach him under that exemption...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2010, 02:34 AM

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in, but I'm fairly certain the laws only allow for non-credentialed people to teach their OWN children.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
Old 06-16-2010, 02:39 AM

Have you looked into non-online homeschool charters? I know the one my kids are enrolled in (in elementary level) has a high school program that isn't on line and that is still taught by parents (or the kids studying on their own). They do have to meet certain requirements in order to earn a diploma, but I'm not really sure about what they are.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:05 AM

I taught my daughter as a private school (R-4 filed every october with the state). As a private school student, I can supply her with her own diploma. No charter school or other school needed. You are required to keep a log of the child's work, or a portfolio.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursday2 View Post
What do you guys do? Are your high schoolers enrolled in an online program? Has anyone filed a private school affidavit instead and just established their own private school, and if so, do you have any experience on how that translates to colleges? His parents are NOT crunchy in any way, and as excited as they are to see their unmotivated son starting to care about his courses, they're very hesitant to do anything too outside the mainstream - like a GED, or worries about truancy, or making sure he goes to a traditional 4-year college in 2011. I am a tutor with 12 years experience, but not CA-credentialed, so I am not allowed to teach him under that exemption...
We were on our own entirely, and my son had no problem being accepted by small liberal arts colleges that interested him - the homeschooled grads I've known got into colleges without any sort of program, but most of them went to community colleges a bit during their teens to take classes they were interested in and to establish some grades .

It sounds to me as if his best route is going to be nontraditional, but that doesn't mean it has to seem that offbeat to his. They can't have it all - they're going to need to be flexible, and they apparently already see some progress, so I'd point that out. You would be the employee of the private school they can establish with the affidavit - no problem - your tutoring won't qualify as a legal option in itself, because that requires a credential, but working as a teacher under their private school is perfectly legal. I'd go to the email list of the HomeSchool Assn. of California and ask the question, because it has over 3,000 members, and many of them have already graduated kids. In the meantime, read up on the private school laws on this page - it's very simple.

I just posted a lot of good links in another thread having to do with college - go here and take a look: college. Their idea of him entering a 4 year college right away might be unrealistic, but some classes at a community college could help with his application to a 4 year college the following semester or following year. - Lillian

User Tag List