what does each grade need to learn? website needed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to find a website that will break down what each grades needs to learn for that year...
Can anyone help?

Keri
Non-Vax~No-Circ~T4L-Homeschooler~co-sleep~EBF~"Crunchy" SAHM to DD &DS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 03:52 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
There's no "need" about it. Seven-year-olds are not hard-wired to be best suited to learn about plant growth and the solar system or to identify a rhombus. There's no reason they can't learn those things at 5 or 15 instead.

If you would like to know what schools in your area commonly teach in particular grades, that information is often available on-line through your school district or by referencing state or provincial education standards. Some people like the World Book scope and sequence, which I gather is a sort of general average of US public school curriculums. I just read through the 1st grade list and except in the skill-oriented areas (math and language arts) it bears very little similarity to what is taught in our local public school. And it bears almost no similarity to what my 7-year-old has learned this year.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 06:47 PM

i don't use it (although i do love it!), but the core knowledge sequence is free for download now. it may be something worth looking at...

http://books.coreknowledge.org/home.php?cat=314

hth

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#4 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you

I just wanted a guide ...I live in a state that requires end of year evaluations..so lang. and math need to be at grade level kwim
BTW my dd is 2nd grade....

Keri
#5 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

mooninmama ...can i ask what in math and lang did your kids learn?

Keri
#6 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerimommyof2 View Post
mooninmama ...can i ask what in math and lang did your kids learn?
Well, my 7yo is officially "in" 1st grade according to our umbrella school, but she learned a lot of those typical 1st grade skills years ago, so that accounts for a lot of the difference. We also don't do a lot of curriculum, just what she asks for.

For language arts she dabbled a bit in the Getty-Dubay Italic handwriting, the first cursive book. She read a kazillion novels, listened to a bunch read aloud, wrote a bit in her blog, did most of the introductory Editor-in-Chief workbook from Critical Thinking Press.

For math she worked through the Hands On Equations program (introductory algebra) and did Singapore Math 3A through 4B. Multi-digit multiplication and division, operations with fractions and decimals, lots of multi-step word problems, area and perimeter of simple and complex right-angle figures.

Miranda

#7 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

wow!
my dd of course has done tons of readers ...
but as far as math..
she learned clocks,measuring,add & sub up to triple digits
she has done some fractions ,money

thou i havnt completed her whole 2nd yr yet for our online program..
this last yr has been rough (dh was in a accident ) and i havnt been doing like i should iwill admit

i school year round so i know she can catch up.... but i am a bit worried because her evaluation is coming up and i dont think she is 2nd grade level quite yet

Keri
#8 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerimommyof2 View Post
i school year round so i know she can catch up.... but i am a bit worried because her evaluation is coming up and i dont think she is 2nd grade level quite yet
I hope you realize something that every teacher knows: children in public school are not all "at grade level." My friend, a K-1-2 teacher, tells me that 15-20% of kids in the primary grades are a grade level or more "behind" in math or literacy. Another 15-20% will be "ahead." That's just how kids are. And that's true despite the fact that they're getting structured daily instruction with the prescribed curriculum at the prescribed level in school.

In a homeschooling situation there is likely to be even more variability and anyone who works doing homeschooling evaluations is going to know that. Your dd does not need to be "at grade level" to be considered a successful homeschooler. Generally evaluators are looking for "progress commensurate with age and ability." Meaning they'd like to see evidence that progress is occurring, and that the parent has an understanding of areas where "lags" exist.

There's nothing wrong with saying "Jenny has made progress in her math in this area and this area. This other skill has come slowly, and sometimes it has been a little frustrating, so we chose to set it aside for a while during the time we had a lot of family stress. We're getting back to it now and I'm confident that with some consistent work she will make good progress."

I hope you're not worrying needlessly over this. I am quite sure that there is nothing in your state's legislation that says a child needs to be at grade level or else move to an alternate educational approach. If that were so, a bunch of kids would have to leave public school every year, LOL!

Miranda

#9 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 10:47 PM

You school district probably has their curriculum online, and they'll say what they expect every child in the grade to have mastered. Honestly, you'll probably be a little surprised at it being less than you thought.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#10 of 10 Old 06-19-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the supportive words
I guess i am just feel a bit guilty for letting her schooling slide this yr because of family stress.....
anyways thank you all for the help ..much appriciated

Keri

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page