Used Curriculum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read a lot about people using used curriculum to save money, but how does that work? Isn't a big part of curriculum workbooks and things like that which will have been written in by the child? pardon me if I'm missing something. I'm brand new to exploring homeschooling as an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

True it wouldn't work for workbook based curricula, but it does work for literature based or textbook based curricula. Even with workbook based curricula you often have non-consumable components. IE with Singapore Math I resale the homeschool guides and the textbooks but file the workbooks with the rest of DD's completed work.
#3 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 04:44 PM

As a pp said there are always non-consumables even if you do a lot of workbook based material. We do a lot of literature based subjects so it is usually fairly easy to find the books used. Also, usually there are the teacher manuals- instructor guide-lesson plans that are reusable.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#4 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Also it is feasible to use a separate sheet of paper or a dedicated notebook for some workbooks, allowing for resale. And some workbooks, for example Writing With Ease, are perfectly reusable if the buyer intends to use separate paper, even if the student pages are missing or filled in because it includes the teaching pages and student work as well.

blogging.jpg

#5 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've also found that it's fairly common for people to use the first 5 pages or so of a workbook, decide it isn't for them, and leave the rest pristine. So it's used, but by no means used up.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#6 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 PM

you can still find workbooks totally used. i find them at amazon and homeschoolclassifieds. now, i'm not always successful, but *usually*, i have great luck finding anything i want used. more popular items can sometimes be more difficult to locate though. for example, we own "all about spelling" & i could not find it used to save my life. as it's popularity wears off though, or after it's been around for a while, it will be available used as well (like all things )

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#7 of 9 Old 03-25-2012, 12:48 AM

You can find used curriculum on Homeschool Forum (http://homeschoolforum.org). They have a board where people are selling Waldorf, Classical, Charlotte Mason...everything. Just an FYI.

Kelly, mom to Goose (DD 16) and Sweet Pea (DD10)

Waldorf Homeschool Forum

Special Needs World

#8 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 PM

ass others said, manuals and books are of course reusable... besides what others mentioned many people will use plastic sheets or separate pieces of paper making workbooks reusable. Any manipulative's (such as pattern blocks , rods, sandpaper letters etc... ) are all reusable. 

I would have to say about 90% of my homeschool materials were all bought or given to me used. 

there are several websites for selling homeschool materials, amazon frequently has good deals, getting friendly with other local HSers will sometimes let stuff fall into your lap, thrift stores, garage sales, and sometimes the dump all provide fantastic stuff once you train your eye and know what to look for.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#9 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 PM

Google homeschool classifieds as well

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page