Tennessee Homeschoolers HELP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh and I are dreaming about moving to TN from Michigan. It's just perfect for us and our family except...

I just read the homeschooling laws ?!?!?

Please share with me the reality of homeschooling in TN?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 01:11 PM

I'm new to homeschooling as this will be our first year. I have no other experience, so I'm wondering specifically which policies you are most concerned about? I know nothing different!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:23 PM

There are numerous options for how to register as a homeschooler. To be an "official" homeschooler, you register with the school district and follow all kinds of rules and regulations. Most people register with a "church related school" instead. Not all of these umbrellas are specifically or restrictively Christian; some require a statement of faith, others don't; some require regular testing, others don't. We've been quite happy with HomeLife Academy, which is Christian but doesn't require a statement of faith.

There's lots of info at http://www.tnhomeed.com/HSLaw.html - including links to the DOE site and a "non-lawyer" version of the laws, and lists of the various umbrella schools.

Good luck!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarai18 View Post
There are numerous options for how to register as a homeschooler. To be an "official" homeschooler, you register with the school district and follow all kinds of rules and regulations. Most people register with a "church related school" instead. Not all of these umbrellas are specifically or restrictively Christian; some require a statement of faith, others don't; some require regular testing, others don't. We've been quite happy with HomeLife Academy, which is Christian but doesn't require a statement of faith.

There's lots of info at http://www.tnhomeed.com/HSLaw.html - including links to the DOE site and a "non-lawyer" version of the laws, and lists of the various umbrella schools.

Good luck!
Thank you! We are Christian, so a statement of faith is no big for us. This is exactly what I was hoping. When I read the laws I thought perhaps most people go the church related school route but I was very unclear as to how involved/possible that was to do. Sounds like it's common and easy, which is wonderful! Thanks again. We've SO had our heart set on moving to TN and not being able to hs, in the fashion we choose, would have been a deal breaker.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:25 PM

You're welcome! Depending on where you live, some of the CRS/umbrella schools have optional classes, sports, and other activities. We haven't gone that route - HomeLife is 3-4 hours drive from home, so we just do all our reporting, etc. online. Our girls take a few classes at the community college during high school instead, plus music, dance, community theatre, etc. for their arts and electives.

As for testing, HomeLife doesn't require it at all, so we just do the PSAT/ACT/SAT in high school. Some other CRSs require testing every year or two, and some also have extra courses required for graduation (beyond State requirements) and want more say in your choice of curriculum. There's really quite a broad range; I think the TN Home Ed site might have a listing of different CRSs and how they operate.

User Tag List