New to this, homeschooling from Preschool until... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a very bright and interested in learning 2 year old son with whom I have a great and trusting relationship.

I am starting the process of legally homeschooling from now (preschool-ish) until as long as it is working for both of us. One of the requirements is that I turn in a curriculum.

I am living in a british territory in the caribbean, but am an American.

I am wondering how specific would you be with this curriculum?

I have been reading the forum and getting a feel for all of this. It is sinking in what a huge committment this is- I will be learning so much along with my son- it's exciting.

The school also requires I send them my qualifications- I do have a Bachelor of Science degree in the field architectural engineering technology, hopefully they won't give me any trouble with that as I know there are teachers in the local school who only have a high school diploma.

In your opinion, do I need to have a broad overview NOW of my curriculum from now until end of high school? I'm thinking for now I will plan on resubmitting my curriculum each year until I have a broader maybe 2-3 year at a time perspective on what I will be teaching.

And one more thing- would you include things in your curriculum that are outside the 'norm' that you know you will be teaching? For us, it's yoga and I focus on Values Parenting similar to the B'hai.

Thanks for any input.

I just came across this website...
http://www.learningtreasures.com/des...ool_curric.htm
If I follow her guide I'm thinking I will have a good start for the upcoming year at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If your son is only 2, why are you starting the process now? Do they have legal requirements for kids under 5? If not, I wouldn't waste my time doing this until you absolutely have to.

In our state we have no reporting requirements. We are unschoolers so won't be using a curriculum. However, I do want to see how my kids are doing compared to where our society thinks kids should be. So I bought some learning guides. They were developed for unschoolers who live in states with reporting requirements. Perhaps these would help you. They don't start until kindergarten.

http://www.fun-books.com/books/livin...ing_guides.htm

From the website:
These guides are put together by Nancy Plent, founder of the Unschoolers Network in New Jersey and a long-time homeschooler. She reviewed the scope and sequence charts and curriculum guides of dozens of schools in various states, then combined the highest standards of elements from each to create these guides. Why purchase these curriculum guides? 1) They may help you to fulfill your state's legal requirement to provide an educational plan 2) They allow you to see some of the highest standards for schools at various grade levels, just in case you are curious about what the schools expect or are anxious about what you are doing 3) They provide record-keeping space that can help organize a portfolio.

Besides providing a checklist under each subject, Nancy offers suggestions on how to translate real-life experience into curricula goals. She also lists resources from a variety of companies. Each guide covers two or more grade levels. The first four are in comb binding, while the high school guide is in a 3-ring binder.

I don't know that I would include subjects that are out of the norm. Why give them ammunition against you. Let them see that you are doing what they want you to do.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:16 AM

I think you should look for a home school group where you live, or includes families dealing with the same laws, and ask them.

Here in the state of Georgia, some school districts ask for information that we are not legally required to provide, so many of us use reporting forms provided by a statewide advocacy group, which are in strict compliance with the laws.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpokey View Post
I think you should look for a home school group where you live, or includes families dealing with the same laws, and ask them.

Here in the state of Georgia, some school districts ask for information that we are not legally required to provide, so many of us use reporting forms provided by a statewide advocacy group, which are in strict compliance with the laws.
I'll be the only one on this small island homeschooling, the current population is around 250. There may be some people homeschooling on the main island. The ferry runs from here to there only 3 days a week. Not sure how i would find anyone on the main island homeschooling- newspaper ad?

As for why am I starting now- they allow children in the preschool in Sep as long as they will be 3 by Feb and are pottytrained (my son meets both those requirements). I don't know the age that children have to legally be 'schooled'. I will ask that next time I call dept of Education. Even if it isn't until age 5, I don't mind getting the ball rolling now and having 'records' of his education for when the legal age comes around.

Maybe I am giving myself more work then necessary...

thanks again.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:28 PM

Look for a Google or a yahoo group

Look for a home school enrichment program on the main island and call them about networking

Visit the main island during the day on a school day. Look for school aged children in the library, gymnastics center, ice rink, etc. Non tourist locations.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:19 PM

I can't really see any point in reporting if your kid isn't legally required to be in school. It's not like universities are going to want proof of a 2 year old's education.

Here in Ontario the mandatory school age is 7. There's no reporting required at all here but if there were, you wouldn't do it until then.

I'm going with "more work than necessary".

User Tag List