Teach Your Child to Read - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2010, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who has used 'Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons'? I'm going to order the book and just wanted to hear from others who have used it. Did it work? What do you need to use with it? What grade/age was your child when you used it? Any reviews, advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 09:29 PM

There are lots of threads on this on Mothering.

We used it for about 2 months when dd1 was around 3.5. She knew the letters and the sounds by 18 months (from Starfall.com) and by this age she was pushing to learn to read.

She soared through 65 lessons before she got bored and we dropped it. As much as she liked learning to read she wouldn't do it herself (read aloud) until just after she turned 4. Then one day she started reading signs and fliers so I bought her some early readers and she's been reading on her own ever since.

We did not follow the script or do the writing part of the lessons. You don't need anything else other than the book.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:29 PM

Well, I found the presentation strange with all the strange markings. People say it doesn't teach phonics correctly either, something about how it breaks the syllables (can't remember exactly). It also doesn't go far enough. It's a popular book and the first one I purchased, but there are better options out there.

In my opinion, you're much better off with Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching reading or Phonics Pathways.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
Old 06-26-2010, 06:16 PM

I started using this book when my son was about 2 1/2 (because he showed an interest in letters, sounds, rhyming...reading in general) and we got through about 20 lessons, and did really well until we hit the double letter sounds (th sound specifically) So we put it on hold for a while and just focused on the sounds he knew already. He is 3 1/2 now, and ready to get back into using the book, and i have to say....using this book he read his first sentence before he was 3. I like how the book is all you need, no flashcards, nothing but your child sitting on your lap, pointing to letters, and learning to make the sounds. I liked to do the lessons when my littlest went to bed at night, then my son and i would spend 10 minutes in bed snuggling, doing our 'lesson' of the day, and then bedtime (it was the only time that worked for us with also having a newborn). So I have to say I really like the book.. (but also have never checked out the other ones that are out there)....
Old 06-26-2010, 08:34 PM

I do not recommend Ring Around The Phonics for children under 4 because most children under 4 years of age do not play games for more than a few seconds. However as a tutor, it is now the only thing I use to teach children to read.

It is three years of reading and phonics curriculum disguised as a game...books and everything. Children beg to play it which makes it fun for me too. It is especially good for hands on learners.

P.S. It can also be used to teach spelling, basic Spanish, and ABCs.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:42 PM

Oops, read the title wrong. Ignore my response

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 06-27-2010, 11:12 PM

I used this for my daughter when she was 6. We did not do the handwriting and strayed from the script a lot.
My son who will be 5 next week wanted to learn to read a few months ago and specifically asked me to take out "that reading book" for him (we get ours from the library)
I did not teach all 100 lessons to either child but both kids learned it quickly. Dd was old enough to move into reading on her own . DS can read beginning books like Dick and Jane .
I found this method very helpful.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :

User Tag List