Fancy Nancy books, thoughts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I friend of mine was telling me her DD loves these and that it introduces new vocab I quickly glanced at the book in the store and wasn't to impressed on the content but liked the rich vocab. Any thoughts on these books, have you read them ?likes them? hate them?

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 10:44 PM

I only have the "Fancy Nancy's Fancy Words" book, but I like it. I enjoy the illustrations, which are very intricate with hidden jokes or meaning to hunt and find.

I don't know about the story books, but I think she's cute.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 PM

We LOVE them. They appeal to my DD and she really does use the words that she learns from the books. At 4yo, she will say things like, "I feel excluded" in the right context. While I don't consider them amazing literature, they are helping to instill a love of reading in my DD and teaching her wonderful vocabulary words. I think the messages in the books are fine, too. The parents are sensible, Nancy is polite and kind, etc.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 PM

I wanted to hate them, dd got the Fancy Vocab as a gift, but really it isn't bad. I like the illustrations- and it does introduce lots of new words- far worse out there.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter really liked them, FWIW. I'm picky, and I didn't find them harmful in any way. She transitioned nicely from Fancy Nancy into the Clementine books.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 06-29-2010, 11:26 PM

My DD (4) likes the one we've gotten from the library. DS (2) came up to me and said "Mama, you're exquisite!" (from the book). So I LOVE them!

Tjej
Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 PM

we've gotten them from the library in the past. i don't remember disliking them or anything. we also have a couple of the fancy nancy "step into reading" books, and they're funny.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 06-30-2010, 12:10 AM

My dd loves them. They are fun and they have great vocabulary in them. I like the illustrations myself!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post
My DD (4) likes the one we've gotten from the library. DS (2) came up to me and said "Mama, you're exquisite!" (from the book). So I LOVE them!

Tjej
awww how sweet!

I have been reluctant and haven't checked these out yet but dd has a Fancy Nancy puzzle which she just loves.
I'll be checking these out at the library next week.
Thanks!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ooh La La! Both DD and I Fancy Nancy! She is fantastically fancy and humerous.

Decluttering 500/2010
Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
Ooh La La! Both DD and I Fancy Nancy! She is fantastically fancy and humerous.
I was just reminding my DD (she is now 4.5) that when we first got the book and she was not-quite-3 she used to say "Ooh Wah Wah!" It was really cute
Old 06-30-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

ok you guys sold me, we just request a few from the library. My next questions is do you have a fav Fancy Nacy book.

WE just requested her vocab book, Bonjor Butteflies, and the tea party

Old 06-30-2010, 10:10 AM

I didn't think I'd like them, and I do. I think they have very gentle conflicts and kind-hearted kids. Our favorite is Explorer Extraordinaire.

Holli
Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 AM

We just have the original Fancy Nancy book, and my daughter loves it.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 AM

It's just a girl who likes to dress-up, among other things. In Explorer Extraordinaire it's all about their nature club and her interests in bugs and birds, etc. There are other ones about a planetarium, getting along with people, etc.

I have a super well-balanced daughter who is loves science, has no problems getting dirty, and yet she still enjoys wearing a tutu.

I think the books are a pretty good balance and model for girls, and I say this with the full admission that I was avoiding them because I thought they were all just frill and fluff. My mother gave her the first one, and we have enjoyed them.

She hasn't learned any vocabulary from them, but she has enjoyed reading books about a girl who uses "fancy" words like she already does. DD's vocabulary is one of her strengths.

Holli
Old 06-30-2010, 12:45 PM

Oo la la! We love Fancy Nancy around here too. Like a lot of you, I wanted not to like her but it's really hard becuase my DD is so very much like that! DD loves to run aorund in her musical dress chasing fireflies and toads.

And we recently took DD to a very fancy French restaurant. When she said, "Oo la la! Dinner was magnifique!," we got free dessert!

Jen

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:00 PM

We love those books at our house too! My daughters dressed up as "Fancy Nancy" and "Fancy Nancy's Little Sister" for Halloween last year.

I really like the books because Nancy is smart, whimsical and very creative. We have almost all of the books and the doll.

Married to my best friend!
Mother to 3 sweeties: Ds (8), Dd (5), Dd (3)
Old 06-30-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Wow i didn't realize she was that popular!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:48 PM

Our six year old daughter enjoys the Fancy Nancy books, but not above others - about the same as she enjoys other books. She "inherited" her older sister's dress-up clothes (which we are always adding to) and has fancy, glittery things in there. When she went through the typical "princess-stage," she got a variety of sparkly things as gifts from people to add to the box. I, too, was wary of the focus on the having to have the "girly" things in the Fancy Nancy series. For her, it just worked out as another phase or interest she went through. They recently had a Fancy Nancy Soiree/Tea Party at our local library. Anna had the opportunity to just max out on the glittery stuff and I thought she would! To our surprise she kept the accessories to a minimum and came up with her own style!

Now she is more into flowers and greenery and decorating the house and yard. She likes flowers on fabric, makes fake and real flower bouqets in vases and wants to buy more real flowers for the yard. Now and then, she still likes to fancy it up a bit with her dress-up clothes!

No "harm" done! But then we do expose her to quite a variety of books and experiences and she draws from all of them.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 PM

It's funny how we're always thinking about how things will influence our particular kids and the truth is we can't anticipate or control it!

I really like the couple of Fancy Nancy books we've read. I never thought of them as vocabulary builders, but I did enjoy the fancy words and the fact that they are defined in a totally appropriate (not teachy) way.

My dd loves dressing up and often wears fantastical outfits, but she's very rigid about them. This one is a fairy costume and cannot be used as a princess costume. This one is only a bird costume and can't be used as a feathery fairy, etc. So I thought Fancy Nancy might loosen her up and make her mix and match more.

I LOVE Nancy's style, and would love for dd to dress more like that. I love that Nancy uses real clothes/accessories instead of a Cinderella dress bought at Target. She's so creative!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 PM

While I discourage your typical disney princess stuff I think the Fancy Nancy books are cute and so does my four yo.

:
Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 PM

We enjoy Fancy Nancy!

DD (5) hasn't been influenced to wear boas or dress any differently than usual. She does retain the new vocabulary words.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:00 AM

My 6 year old DD loves Fancy Nancy. I love the vocab of the books.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:22 AM

Both of my kids love them. My almost three year old son said to me the other day (after I told him we were going to the splash park) "mama, I'm ecstatic!" Seriously...too cute.

-chelsea dust.gif

User Tag List