Starting "late" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-02-2010, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't post much but have lurked for about a year and have read so much good information.
We have tossed around the idea of homeschooling for just over a year and after another AWFUL year at my kids public school and getting turned down at three private schools, I'm wondering if this is a sign and that we are supposed to homeschool our kids.... As much as I am nervous about it, if that is what we are supposed to do I will go with it.
The problem is that my kids are supposed to be going into grade 4 and grade 6 and are not overly enthusiastic about the idea. We have mentioned it in passing before.
Has anyone started this late? How did you tell your kids? What were the responses?
#2 of 6 Old 07-03-2010, 12:38 AM

One of my friends is taking all of her kids out of school at 6th grade b/c she doesn't want to send them to middle school and hs for social reasons. However, that was always the plan in their house so the kids were on board with it.

What are your kids' main concerns? Did the last year at their school feel awful to them as well? Perhaps if you can address their concerns and show them all of the cool stuff you will be able to do at home, they will be more enthusiastic. I don't know if I'd force a child to be hsed if s/he was totally opposed, but I've found that, with my younger dd, I've had more headway re her schooling options when they were presented to her as options and not mandatory. She feels better about things when we talk them through and she feels part of the decision.
#3 of 6 Old 07-03-2010, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I don't think they see as the year as awful because of the friend aspect of school for them. My DS is not nearly as concerned and is pretty easy going but my DD thinks she will never see her friends. I have tried to explain to her that she can totally still see them as they all live in the neighbourhood and I know the families etc.... I think they are concerned based on the unknown of homeschooling. I am quite certain that if they tried it out they would find it is really cool and fun and that we can really focus on things that interest them etc....
With that being said, if they totally hated it at the end of the year I would for sure consider putting them back into traditional school.
#4 of 6 Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinzee View Post
Thanks for the response. I don't think they see as the year as awful because of the friend aspect of school for them. My DS is not nearly as concerned and is pretty easy going but my DD thinks she will never see her friends. I have tried to explain to her that she can totally still see them as they all live in the neighbourhood and I know the families etc.... I think they are concerned based on the unknown of homeschooling. I am quite certain that if they tried it out they would find it is really cool and fun and that we can really focus on things that interest them etc....
With that being said, if they totally hated it at the end of the year I would for sure consider putting them back into traditional school.
have you considered putting on the table an agreement like "you can go to youth group every Tuesday night and we will be going to homeschool group every other Thursday morning ...." no so much an agreeent to "get her to do it" but a open schdule to show her how and when she will still have contact with her freinds.

also is there a "class" or subject either or both of them would like that could ease the transition. either as a first unit study or as something that homeschooling there would be time for that there was not time for before. even something non-academic. my nephew is now back in teh schools, but he did home school for years. he wanted, last year, to do a baseketball club -- but him mom and dad felt it was too far driving adn too late a night on a school night esp with homework...the brillant child said "if we homeschooled again would it be possible" LOL -- is there something like that THAT either of you kids might find enticeing ? not a bribe but just a facts "hey with out homework each night we'll finally have time for ......"

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#5 of 6 Old 07-08-2010, 11:04 AM

I agree with Momma Aimee. We make the decision every year to hs or public school and this year was a tough decision. The public school here is nice - better than most we've visited. We toured it and went to a few homeschool meetings to help The Kid make his decision, and then drew up lists of pros and cons. For each con we tried to find ways to address them and come up with solutions so that he had a more accurate picture of how the year would go in either decision.
#6 of 6 Old 07-08-2010, 11:06 AM

I pulled out my dd after 6th grade. She was totally against it and was very upset. But, it was the right decision. Her school was not challenging her enough. Although she was in the gifted program, once she got to middle school it seemed that the teachers did not do much different for them.

Our first year was a little rough, but once she found out she can still have a social life things got better. She does not want to go back. In fact, just the other day I was talking about her going part time( we can do that where we are) and taking an art class at the local high school, she was not open to the idea!

Good luck. Know that you know best for your children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page