new-homeschooling while working - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-05-2010, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am considering homeschooling my two girls next year-they would be going into 5th and 8th. My husband and I both work full time and at this point, are unable to quit or alter our jobs. Anyone out there doing some kind of homeschooling that is similar? I'm trying to make curriculum decisions for things they can do self guided.

Thanks,

Jen
#2 of 5 Old 07-05-2010, 10:20 PM

I am only working 20 hrs/week right now, so not exactly the same. I have a 7th grader and we're doing a blend of online classes and stuff we design together. We have been homeschooling for over 6 years so far except for last year where she attended school half-time. I have always worked part-time, although previously with 2 jobs so it neared full-time. I feel pretty good about our curriculum decisions, although I know the reality never works out exactly as planned. I am lucky as I can bring dd to work with me regularly.

What sort of things are you looking for? I've chosen a couple things that will allow us to explore subjects as a family. We will be doing a music history course that is dvd based and we will watch together for 30 minutes in the evening once a week. Dd will do some additional work on her own the rest of the week. We will watch the Joy of Science from the teaching co. another couple times per week for 30 minutes an episode. They work well during dinner. LOL We are finishing up How Art Made the World from Netflix and it has been an enjoyable family activity. I am planning on doing some of our science experiments on the weekends with dh. She will be doing the bulk of her language arts and math online. We will get in some additional literature by listening to audio books while we commute.

Give us some ideas about what your girls like, their strengths and weaknesses, etc. and you will get more specific ideas of things to try. Do you have someone to watch the girls who can direct some of the school work? Can you IM, call, email, or skype from work with them? Will you have some evenings and weekends to do things together? Do they have some ideas of things they would like to explore next year? Are you looking for a complete online school for them to participate in?

It can work, but expect a lot of brainstorming and tweaking of plans as the year progresses!
#3 of 5 Old 07-06-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

I would love to know what online curriculums you have been using. At this point I am not looking for a full time online program, just some individual classes esp. in math and maybe language arts like grammar, spelling, vocabulary, etc. Maybe some advanced science for my older daughter like biology/chemistry.
I don't have anyone working with the girls for next year yet while I'm gone. I do have a few neighbors who homeschool that would be available for emergencies, to take them to special field trips, a weekly swim/gym, and occasional dog walks by the river. I may be able to get my mom/dad to commit to a day here and there.
Both of my girls have been going to arts integrated schools so they like to do project based learning or learning that culminates in some sort of presentation. They love doing things on the computer. Not so big on reading books. They both however are excited about becoming homeschooled so that is a plus. Both felt that public school was becoming dangerous (my daughter's friend drowned on the last day of school field trip) and many days were a waste of time.
My husband and I will be able to call frequently, text, and email throughout the day.
#4 of 5 Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM

Hi ,
I home-school as well ,My daughter is 8 yrs and my son is 3 1/2yrs. I dont work full time but ,I do work part time at the moment .My husband is recently disabled so I guess in away I do work full time .

I can tell you from experience the easiest way to go is using a "online" program . The one we use is very simple to navigate ,It also grades and record keeps which is a must for us .What I like is that my daughter can easily get on the computer and get started on her own ,Of course I must help my 3 yr old

There are ALOT of different programs out there aka~ Time4Learning,SOS,K-12 ect ... You just have to look into them and see which you feel works best,& try it!

Good Luck

Keri
Non-Vax~No-Circ~T4L-Homeschooler~co-sleep~EBF~"Crunchy" SAHM to DD &DS
#5 of 5 Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasjl View Post
My husband and I will be able to call frequently, text, and email throughout the day.
Wait, are you talking about leaving them home alone together all day long, every day... expecting them to stay inside and just do academic work on their own most days? At 13 and 10? I would have some real misgivings about that part, honestly... it doesn't sound like a fulfilling or enjoyable way for them to spend their time.

At those ages I could see having them home alone together for a few hours, but not fulltime. Maybe you could arrange things for them? Like, if your parents could commit to one day a week with them, and maybe you could hire an older homeschooled teen to hang out with them or take them places two afternoons a week, and maybe they could be with your neighbors two afternoons a week? I'd do something like that... to give their days some structure, too.

Do you have any flexibility in your work schedules? Even if one of you could go in early and one later, that might help... or any sort of flex time arrangement, so that one or both of you could work from home one or two days a week?

I would think that you could leave them some assignments to work on by themselves but you would also need to be spending time with them in the evenings, going over what they've been doing and helping plan for the next day with them...

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page