Cursive - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-05-2010, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all-

I thought I'd post this question here, since you have all be so helpful to me in the past.

My dd was "hsed" for preK and attended a Catholic Kindy program. She has spent the last several years learning to print and working on forming the letters.

We have been very excited for her to get into a wonderfu montessori program here and finally after several years on the waitlist and enrolled for the fall. That's the good news. The bad news is that the school uses cursive writing exclusively. I'm not sure that dd has ever even SEEN cursive writing, let alone used it.

I spoke at length with her teacher about it and she and the other classroom teachers will be working with her and helping her along, and I've been informed that there is no pressure. But, dd is very sensitive and she will feel "behind" the other children. I know her. The teacher said we should try to work on her cursive at home this summer, which we, and frankly my dd, are happy to do.

Can anyone point me in the write direction for FUN materials that she might be able to do to help her learn cursive? Any insight is GREATLy appreciated.

THANKS!

Married to love of my life! Children 6, 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 4 months
#2 of 8 Old 07-06-2010, 08:16 AM

Your daughter may enjoy writing if you make a personalized worksheet . Unfortunately, in the cursive style, the letters are not connected, but if she's just beginning, she should start with just the letters anyway.

You may also find handwriting for kids useful.

We haven't started cursive yet, but my daughter is eager, so I'd be interested in suggestions or comments on mine as well.
#3 of 8 Old 07-06-2010, 03:56 PM
AAK

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
how about handwriting without tears
http://shopping.hwtears.com/category/cursive

Also, does the school require a specific cursive font?

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#4 of 8 Old 07-06-2010, 05:38 PM

I think it is interesting, because the schools here (public, we dont have any private) don't even TEACH cursive anymore! I learned it in 3rd grade, however my 22 yo sister said they never taught it to her...and they still dont teach it...sad...

Single mom to 2 boys
#5 of 8 Old 07-06-2010, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

I've heard that many schools don't have "time" anymore for cursive and yes, it is sad. It's a missed art, discipline, and opportunity for these kids.

From what I understand, cursive is taught first in a Montessori classroom, b/c Maria Montessori felt it was easier. You learn the lower case letters first (because you only use one capital letter in a sentence usually) and start w/ "c" and then d, g, p etc. because they start with the same c. They also really like to focus on those motor skills, and I guess, cursive is a good way to do this.

I'm excited, but concerned since, like I mentioned, dd has never even really seen/read cursive. And, it has taken her 2 years to learn to print really well. These other kids in 1st grade are writing volumes in their journals already...Here's to hoping that she likes writing this way and wants to practice this summer!

Married to love of my life! Children 6, 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 4 months
#6 of 8 Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 AM

Yeah if it can't be tested with a bubble sheet the schools are getting away from it
#7 of 8 Old 07-07-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpokey View Post
Yeah if it can't be tested with a bubble sheet the schools are getting away from it
This is so true!

We are going to use Handwriting without tears next year. I have heard great things about it for years.
#8 of 8 Old 07-07-2010, 06:41 PM
AAK

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Mommy View Post
From what I understand, cursive is taught first in a Montessori classroom, b/c Maria Montessori felt it was easier. You learn the lower case letters first (because you only use one capital letter in a sentence usually) and start w/ "c" and then d, g, p etc. because they start with the same c. They also really like to focus on those motor skills, and I guess, cursive is a good way to do this.
For some reason, I think HWT (handwriting without tears) also starts with the c. I was looking at their site for ourselves next year. They refer to it as "magic c" because for many letters, you make that first. But maybe that is with printing instead of cursive.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page