Any moms homeschooling AND working a job? how do you do it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-08-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like what are your working hours? And when do you fit in the homeschooling hours?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#2 of 13 Old 07-08-2010, 11:57 AM

This month is a little crazy, and we still need to find a sitter for one evening but we've managed to not overlap at all. The key for us is that we both are in charge of ds learning and living. Hopefully this set up is temporary while Dh's acupuncture practice picks up. But for now we both work two part time jobs.

Mon: I work 7am-11am, DH 1pm-8pm

Tues: DH 7am- 8pm

Wed: Me 7am-11am, DH 3pm-11pm

Thurs: DH 3pm- 11pm

Friday: Me 4pm-11pm Dh 7am -7pm

Sat: Me 4pm- 11pm, Dh 6am-3pm

Sun: Me 5pm- 8pm , DH 6am - 3pm

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#3 of 13 Old 07-08-2010, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm a birth doula. Dh is an energy efficient lighting auditor. He works from 8am-5pm. My hours are completely random.

I try to schedule my prenatal and postpartum visits with clients for times that dh is home to watch the kids. Births obviously can't be predicted. We have a pretty long list of babysitters that we use when my work overlaps with dh's.

Our homeschooling is mostly facilitated by me (or the babysitter when I leave a list). Most of it is done while dh is at work. We generally do about an hour in the morning and an hour or two in the afternoon.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 13 Old 07-09-2010, 10:00 AM

We are planning on homeschooling for the first time next year also and DH and I both work 1st shift full time. Our children are older and can be home alone. Theyb are 14 and 10. I am planning on making them a list of things they need to get done and then they can pick the order. When they are done then they have free time. We have a few stay at home neighbors who will be available to them and check in. I have several homeschooling friends who will drop in, take them on field trips or day homeschool classes, or hang out with them through out the weekDH and I can call, email, text etc. to make sure they are up and working. We are planning on using some online classes like maybe Teaching Books or Thinkwell Math, Rosetta Stone, etc. for some core classes so that they can be self guided. When I get home around 2:45 then we will go over what they did and do some teaching for the next day.
I'm looking for any good online classes that have been good.
#5 of 13 Old 07-09-2010, 09:04 PM

I have my own business that I operate from 7:30am-5:30pm and then I have things I have to do after hours. Luckily my business is in my home (I run a dayhome).
Our "formal" education takes place during our daily quiet time. I get about 15 minutes with ds (who is 6) to teach him reading and printing. Then in the evening at bedtime which is usually around 10-11pm we read lots of books together and then do another 10-15 minute session of him reading and printing.
The rest of it is just life. I don't know how I'm going to manage anything else. My facilitator had better be creative in making it look good on paper! lol.
#6 of 13 Old 07-10-2010, 11:41 PM

My dh and I team tag. During the school year, I leave the house at noon and get home at about 8:30 or 9:00 PM on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Those are my slow weeks. During my busy weeks, I'm gone from noon - midnight, Monday - Friday.

Dh works from home on the days that I'm working. He helps the kids finish whatever schoolwork is left over from the morning. He gets his "out and about" work done on the days that I'm home.

When I have to leave at noon, we're pretty good at getting schoolwork done in a timely fashion. When I'm home all day, it seems to stretch out forever!

We have one evening where our work overlaps every week. We had a babysitter, but she found a job with more hours. Lately, our kids have just been going to that meeting with dh. It has worked pretty well, and it saves us some money.
#7 of 13 Old 07-11-2010, 12:34 AM

I work fulltime on 2nd shift (2pm-10pm M-F), DH works at the same place on 1st shift (6am-2pm M-F). We trade off the kids in the parking lot.

I tend to do most of the schooling, and get as much done in the mornings as possible, and leave their workbook-type stuff to do with DH.

#8 of 13 Old 07-11-2010, 11:57 AM

I work 4 days a week 8-5 and am home the other 3 days. DH works full time M-F. I do the "official" homeschooling.

My 3 days off are packed and we try and do a small lesson after work 3 out of 4 of those days. She's in Kindergarten in the Fall. It's definitely a juggle and I will hopefully be working p/t come 1st grade (right now I am the insurance carrier.)

I recently switched jobs and am a lot happier at the new one so that helps in the energy factor after work. We also school year round which gives us more flexibility, I feel.

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
#9 of 13 Old 07-11-2010, 11:20 PM

I am a single working hs ing mom.

We have done work + hs many ways, and some work better than others, but they all work for us.

I've found the one thing that does *not* work for us is me working FT with a lunch break less than one hour. Cannot do it. I at the bare minimum need to come home and check in on lunch.

In general, if I work days, I give lessons in the evenings and they do homework during the day. My oldest ds is almost 17, so being at home is not a concern; when we had sitters/ relatives, they acted as proctors or supervisors to keep my DC on task, but not to instruct. Most of our learning is LIFE learning (see Home Grown Kids and Relaxed Record Keeping for great ideas).

We LOVE LOVE LOVE our lives, and we're reaping great rewards.

PM if you'd like more details.

blessings
#10 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 01:52 PM

Well, we will be.

I do corporate writing, and I'll be working probably 2 hours before the kids get up and then another 2 hours whenever we fit it in during the day. Other than that, I'm working on selling my art, but my sneaky plan is to have the kids help me so that it teaches them about business while I'm getting work done.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#11 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 07:19 PM

ive always worked jobs part time and they are jobs my children can hang out at. The library, running a kids art studio, a preschool with extra rooms they can do their work in and the farmers market. So far it has worked great for us.
#12 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 11:30 PM

This past year my husband owned his own buisness so I helped him out when my parents could watch the kids or on weekends so we homeschooled M-Th 8:00-11:30. This year my husband has a new job and I am going to be a preschool director. Luckly, I will be able to take the kids with me. My youngest is pre-school age so he can join in. My oldest will be in second grade. He will be doing work he can do on his own during the hours I am there. 8:00-11:30. We will do intensive schooling after lunch.
#13 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 11:38 PM

I work 5am to 9am and one weekend day when need be. It doesn't interfere with homeschool time this way, but I do get tired earlier! I also help with DHs business 1 day/week and we have a sitter at that time. She'll set DD up with some of the programs we're doing like Rosetta and Headsprout, and she does art and ballet as well so I feel that works in terms of learning as well.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page