Math curriculum for visual/spatial-challenged child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-12-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will most likely be homeschooling dd for kindergarten this year. This past year we did Singapore Math EarlyBird, and it went ok. But I think we can do better. DD has strabismus and problems with visual processing. Much of the Singapore book involved looking at colorful images with numbers and busy pictures to solve the problems. I think it's too taxing on her visual system, and she is starting to get frustrated with math. Right now, she can count to 100's by 1's, 2's, and 10's, and can do addition and subtraction up to 10 (uses her fingers). In general, she is a quick learner, a fluent reader, great memory, very physical (moves a lot) and very auditory--she follows spoken directions well, loves to be read too, etc. Can any of you recommend a math program that might work for such a kid? If any of you have kids who sound like my dd, I'd appreciate suggestions for other subjects too, if you have them.

Thanks in advance,
naismama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-12-2010, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My ds also has visual processing issues. He really likes Singapore math but it is colorful in the lower levels. When you move up in the levels, there's a lot less going on visually, so he does better with them now. MUS is a good one but ds found it boring. We're trying Right Start Math next.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 6 Old 07-12-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Kittywitty--thanks. I had thought about RightStart, but I am not sure about the whole abacus thing? With Singapore, it's not that it is colorful, perse, but that you have to process and understand what is going on in the pictures in order to solve the problems (e.g., birds flying toward or away from a fence for addition and subtraction). I do not know much about MUS (Math U See?)
#4 of 6 Old 07-12-2010, 11:38 PM

McRuffy Color math uses a lot of manipulatives and is pretty fun. We used it for first this year and plan on sticking with it for second.
#5 of 6 Old 07-13-2010, 12:03 AM

It sounds like MEP might be a good fit. We just started Year 1 with my DD and it's great. There's ONE worksheet page per lesson and lots of other activities - physical movement, songs, etc.

Not to mention it is FREE - really, you just need to print out a few things - the student pages of course and a few posters and things... You might check out the MEP Yahoo group if you decide to go with the program as the ladies there are VERY helpful. http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/proje...ry/default.htm
#6 of 6 Old 07-14-2010, 04:45 AM

If you like Singapore's conceptual approach, you might like Math Mammoth, which was written by a Finnish math teacher, but quite similar to the Asian approach to math instruction. The worksheets are rather hokey compared to Singapore's lovely illustrated pages, but my ds actually likes math now that we switched to MM. He also has vision processing issues and tolerates the MM layout much better than the Singapore pages. If you feel that there is too much practice within a problem set, simply assign every other problem (or whatever).

Kelly

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page