Mothering Forum banner

Anyone in Pittsburgh?

431 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  griciai 
#1 ·
We're moving to Pittsburgh next summer, and hope to begin HS'ing in about 2 yrs. As far as I understand, the HS laws are fairly strict in PA in general...

Are there any school districts to avoid moving to?

TIA!

#2 ·
We live in Pittsburgh in the Hampton school district, which is in the North Hills area. My dd is only 4.5 so I don't have experience dealing with the Dept. of Ed just yet but I have met a lot of homeschoolers in this area. The good thing about PA is that you don't report until age 8, and even then I've heard it isn't THAT big of a deal. The North Hills area has a lot to offer--we live right by a colonial living history museum and down the road from a nature reserve. The library system for Allegheny county is wonderful because you can just reserve books online and then pick them up at your local branch. We live about 15 mins from the Pittsburgh zoo and PPG Aquarium (they are located in the same complex) and 20 mins from downtown P'burgh, which has the Carnegie Science center, Natural history museum, Children's Museum, Aviary, and Botanical Conservatory. It's really a great place, has very steady home values, and a great school district (not that this matters to us, but it does mean that people here greatly value education). Other areas that I've heard that are good are Mars, Moon, and Ingomar. We currently live in an apartment community in Hampton that is great for kids--it has apartments as well as townhouses for rent, a heated pool, small playground, lots of eateries nearby, lots of nature, close to Hampton park and the nature reserve, etc. We've only lived here for 2 years so I apologize for not being more help! Best wishes on your move!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.