Homeschool Conventions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone! I am new to HSing but I have heard there are HS conventions out there? Is that true? If so, what do they entail? I am sure it is mostly different curriculum companies pitching their product? How do you find them?

Thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 07-19-2010, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Contact your local homeschooling groups and organizations. The convention I used to go to was held in the spring. There were seminars on various topics as well as booths for various curriculum vendors, children's books, science kits, etc. This is what came up when I googled "homeschool conventions": http://www.google.com/search?q=homes...ient=firefox-a

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#3 of 13 Old 07-19-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I do not belong to any groups yet since my kids are so young but maybe I can look them up and just pose the question. I did do a google search for that term and got a lot of junk websites so I figured before I filtered through all of them that I would ask here in case there were maybe a few "big" ones that someone could give me a name or website to.
#4 of 13 Old 07-19-2010, 01:39 PM

I just posted about one a day or so ago: What a conference can be!. There are some that are heavy on curriculum vendors and such, but there are also some very inspiring ones, such as the one I posted about, that are much more focused on the the much more important issues.

Here's a list:
2010 Homeschool Calendar of Events, Conferences and Conventions, Workshops and Seminars, and Homeschool Days. - but don't count on any one source to list them all, just because things fall through the cracks with all the things going on. I know that the person who put this list together, for instance, is going to the one I posted about, but she doesn't have it listed yet. You might also try posting a thread here with a title such as "Conferences in Idaho?" or wherever you live.
Lillian

#5 of 13 Old 07-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Where do you live? It's a long shot, but the Chicago Homeschool Expo is coming up Aug 6 and it's only $30. They have some great speakers lined up.

HS conferences can be a great way to learn about hsing and a dangerous way to learn about hsing They can be overwhelming and easy to get "lured" into buying LOTS of materials you don't need or will even work well for you.

I think conferences are wonderful, but you have to attend with very specific goals and a list of what to buy and try not to stray from the list LOL

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#6 of 13 Old 07-19-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33 View Post
HS conferences can be a great way to learn about hsing and a dangerous way to learn about hsing They can be overwhelming and easy to get "lured" into buying LOTS of materials you don't need or will even work well for you.
Absolutely! And they can offer way too much "This is how you're supposed to do it" advice.

- Lillian
#7 of 13 Old 07-19-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am sure that is true! I am not too worried though because I have a master's degree in education and years of teaching experience under my belt. I just want to check one out for the sake of it!
#8 of 13 Old 07-19-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin View Post
Yes, I am sure that is true! I am not too worried though because I have a master's degree in education and years of teaching experience under my belt. I just want to check one out for the sake of it!
Ah! What state are you in? How far are you willing to travel? Lillian
#9 of 13 Old 07-19-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in DE. I don't really want to travel as my kids are too little. But I would drive a couple hours for one in Philly or DC/Baltimore.
#10 of 13 Old 07-19-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33 View Post
Where do you live? It's a long shot, but the Chicago Homeschool Expo is coming up Aug 6 and it's only $30. They have some great speakers lined up.

I think conferences are wonderful, but you have to attend with very specific goals and a list of what to buy and try not to stray from the list LOL
Oooh! Thanks for posting this! I'm in SE WI and last time I checked it looked like I had missed everything for this area! I'm new to HS (or at least I hope to be... see my multiple threads about convincing DH) and have never been to a conference before, hopefully I can make it to this one! THanks!!
#11 of 13 Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin View Post
I'm in DE. I don't really want to travel as my kids are too little. But I would drive a couple hours for one in Philly or DC/Baltimore.
You'd do well to wait for something that might come up next spring or early summer - and a good one could come up again in Boston at some point. In the meantime, here's a whole page of homeschooling resources in Delaware.

And here are some videos from last year's HomeSchool Assn. of California Conference - Homeschooling?!

Linda Dobson put together a book especially for those who couldn't make it to a conference, and it has input from over 30 seasoned homeschoolers on 88 common questions: The Homeschooling Book of Answers.

Here's a thread that might be helpful: How many of you were teachers?

Lillian
#12 of 13 Old 07-19-2010, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maryland used to have a good one. I'm not sure if they still do it.

Virginia's one has been great when I've gone.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#13 of 13 Old 07-21-2010, 12:38 AM

i'm in PA...this year I had to pick between CHAP (held in Harrisburg PA every year) and the MidWest Homeschool Convention (held in Ohio each year...but will be held in 4 different places next year). I went to the Midwest this year (my first convention ever) and I LOVED it.......so neat to see so many different people who all have one major thing in common....and I loved browsing the exhibit hall and looking before buying.....I had heard some really wonderful talks from really great speakers.....it was all very inspiring and encouraging.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page