PHOTOS!! Homeschool Area, Organization Ideas -- Add Yours!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-25-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a small but open area that's pretty versatile, I think. I'm trying to sort out just how I want to organize it.

Here is the space.
The two cabinets in the corner are full of my sewing/crafting supplies. They COULD be refitted to do homeschool, but then I'd have to rehome my things, anyway. And, they're not ideally suited to the task. The clock can go, too, so we start fresh. The walls are 4' and 6', but we can overlap the window some and maybe the door a little, too, since it's the far door that is used.

The school desk was mine when I was little, and was given to me by my grandmother's friend. It was hers in the 1920s in Maine. When I grew up, I gave it back to her for her granddaughter. She gave it back to me last year for my son.

The crap piled on the desk is the school/craft stuff that currently needs to be organized into the space, but of course, there will be a lot more than what's there now, since we're just starting Kindergarten.

The low, round, black table is our "play table" and used for clay, playdough, etc. It's laminate countertop material, so it's really useful, if kinda ugly.

I'm thinking about a rug to delineate the space and make it more cozy and appealing. We live on a farm (woohoo, dirt) and have a hairy dog and a spider problem (yea, texas! ) so not a fuzzy rug, just a flat-ish one.

I have an Ikea budget, a Mexican/southwestern home and a desire to get it done today, LOL.

Show me your spaces! I don't care HOW messy they are. I would love to see. And, any ideas, links, etc...they are more than appreciated.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#2 of 25 Old 07-25-2010, 08:58 PM

This is our built in shelving system, and TV nook. Toys and bug houses are stored on the bottom, and more toys are down there now (quiet toys to keep the littles occupied while I school the older two).

Here is our computer nook and bookcase I have headphones so one of the olders can play on starfall or another approved site as I school another older. The book case shelves our curriculum and educational books. I have an easel and keyboard down here, too.

Here is our schooling area. The TV on the side has left the room and a small child sized desk with two drawers will be down the wall a bit as a coloring area. My dad made it for me as a kid, I'm so happy to hand it down to my kids :-)

I don'th ave a picture of the magnetic board, which houses are Leapfrog letters/numbers and a bunch of homemade magnetic letters/words/blends so my olders can play around with making words and sentences on the magnetic board.

This is a room in my basement. Eventually we want to repaint the room and fix it up a little, but for now it works wonderfully as our school room. :-)

If for some reason you can't see the pictures, let me know and I'll add them to my blog. Or you can add me (Sarah Kostyu) as a friend on facebook. Just tell me I know you from mdc :-)
#3 of 25 Old 07-26-2010, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

It's telling me that your links are currently unavailable, or expired or.... If you could put them on a blog, that would be awesome. I'm not a big facebooker. I REALLY look forward to seeing them! Thank you!

#4 of 25 Old 07-26-2010, 02:56 PM

I am in the process of re-doing our dining room/school room but I don't have a camera I so want to post pictures though so I'll see if I can get creative....I LOVE threads like this!!!

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#5 of 25 Old 07-26-2010, 03:47 PM

We have a somewhat school area in our dining room. I still have a few things i want to change/add, but you can check out what it looks like now on my blog.

http://rrahomeschool.blogspot.com/
#6 of 25 Old 07-26-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE View Post
I'm not a big facebooker.
Yeah, me neither. I deleted my account entirely, and it's telling me to log in to see those photos.
#7 of 25 Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM

I've been thinking about this a lot myself lately. This is our first year and I'm struggling with how to best set up our schooling area. We just moved into our first home, a 1770 colonial, and I'm still getting things organized. We are lucky enough to have a whole room to devote to homeschool I am just a bit disappointed that it doesn't have much wall space... so no hanging maps, charts or bulletin boards. I have a blackboard/whiteboard easel and a HUGE built in cabinet for crafting stuff, which is cool... but we're still struggling with book and materials organization.

I hope more people post photos... I'm excited to see them!!

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#8 of 25 Old 07-27-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Here's an update to what it looks like today. I bought a 4x4 cubes Expedit bookcase from Ikea yesterday. I've set up lots of our school books and crafts on it and it still has tons of empty space. DS's desk is empty now. I bought the rug for 50% in Ikea's AS-IS section and bought the chairs for the play table and the reading chair at Ikea, too.
I'll take some more photos as it progresses, but I'm out of money for now and have company coming next week for a week, then travel with the kids for a few weeks, so it'll be a little while.

I want to add a wire with clips for hanging artwork and stuff, hang this organizerI bought on the side of the bookcase, add a couple of magnetic strips with containers.

My updates:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94...07_27_2813.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94...07_27_2811.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94...07_27_2810.jpg

#9 of 25 Old 07-27-2010, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It looks good! I love your home, it looks very cozy. And amazing floors!

I will take pics of mine sometime. I have a few avalanches of stuff I'm trying to sell before I take pics.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#10 of 25 Old 07-28-2010, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our front room is our school/craft room. Opposite a large window and the front door (which has a parquet foyer space that gets used for block building and puzzles--everyone comes and goes through the garage), the room ends with an open walk-way. Facing the room from the window, the left-hand wall has space for posters (this year, a big US map, smaller world map, numbers 1-100 poster, place value poster, and solar system poster), then a cheap 5-shelf bookcase and a 5X5 cubby bookshelf from Ikea. The bookcase is a new addition, I moved some of the books out of the cubbies to make more room for craft items and toys.

Under the window, which is to the right of the front door, is my computer desk and sewing table. I have 1 chair that sits between them. Along the right-hand wall, next is a china hutch we use as the family altar and to store more books (mostly religion, folklore and mythology books), then the sectional sofa which takes up the rest of that wall and sticks out into the middle of the room just this side of the walk-through that goes between the kitchen and the bedroom hallway. At the end of the sectional that sticks out facing the cubbies is DD's toy kitchen, which needs a major overhaul (decluttering and possibly repair).

DD's ikea easel sits in the middle of the room, drifting around as needed, and right now there is a mess of bins and boxes all over the place.

On the back wall right now we have a couple of banners and a print hanging, while above the sectional on the right-hand wall are family portraits and one of those historical genealogy shields based on last names. I think our timeline and a dry erase board are going to get hung under the family portraits. I also want to hang DD's SCA award scroll in here as soon as I get it framed.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#11 of 25 Old 07-28-2010, 01:07 PM
J2

Here is our "Learning Room". We LOVE it! http://intotheirhearts.blogspot.com/...g-room_17.html
#12 of 25 Old 07-28-2010, 02:06 PM

Would you like the nice, clean and pretty version or the way it looks now?

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#13 of 25 Old 07-28-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2 View Post
Here is our "Learning Room". We LOVE it! http://intotheirhearts.blogspot.com/...g-room_17.html
I LOVE IT! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT! Please come to my house!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#14 of 25 Old 07-28-2010, 02:41 PM
J2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I LOVE IT! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT! Please come to my house!
I totally copy my ideas from another mom. I link to her blog in my blog post. I think she is an MDC mom as well!
#15 of 25 Old 07-28-2010, 04:41 PM

Here's ours. I kinda went overboard turning our entire house into a homeschool house. I'm in the process of creating a simple artist nook and writing center.

http://satorismiles.com/homeschool-room-photos/

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#16 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
i love your space! very well done!! btw, one of the blogs you follow - my husband was just on a mission trip with her husband, lol. it's a small world!

i love all of the pix here actually. it is so much fun to look at them!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#17 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE View Post
Just a little tip.In my experience those clips tend to "scrunch"art work.But clothes pins work well.I even have some mini decorative ones from Ikea.

#18 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 AM

Here's our area. I wish I could put posters & maps on the walls, DH doesn't want them up though.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...y/f574f986.jpg

#19 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I want to know more about the magnetic wall. DD would loooooooooooove a magnetic wall. Did you just put a big piece of metal against it? How did you do it?

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#20 of 25 Old 07-31-2010, 01:26 AM

Ok I got a couple pictures up on my blog instead of using the facebook links try this: http://www.motherhoodnaturally.com/closelyspaced/?p=459
#21 of 25 Old 07-31-2010, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Just a little tip.In my experience those clips tend to "scrunch"art work.But clothes pins work well.I even have some mini decorative ones from Ikea.
I have a lot of catching up to do on this thread! So much awesome info/pics!

Thanks, rere, for the tip. That's really good to know! Maybe I'll just make my own system. We have cable and pretty caps and stuff.

#22 of 25 Old 07-31-2010, 03:32 PM

I've always used fishing line tied around little nails and wooden clothespins (the kind with the spring) and let the kids decorate them, glue shells on, etc. then we hang artwork and whatnot on them :-)
#23 of 25 Old 07-31-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyclaire View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot myself lately. This is our first year and I'm struggling with how to best set up our schooling area. We just moved into our first home, a 1770 colonial, and I'm still getting things organized. We are lucky enough to have a whole room to devote to homeschool I am just a bit disappointed that it doesn't have much wall space... so no hanging maps, charts or bulletin boards. I have a blackboard/whiteboard easel and a HUGE built in cabinet for crafting stuff, which is cool... but we're still struggling with book and materials organization.

I hope more people post photos... I'm excited to see them!!
sort of off topic, but i am so jealous of your colonial! my aunt and uncle lived in one in mass, and i remember going there for christmas a few times. most of it was original, and i remember that the doorknobs were placed super low. her property had ruins of old houses on it, too so it was fun to explore. ok, my trip down memory lane is over with- lol!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#24 of 25 Old 07-31-2010, 08:16 PM

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#25 of 25 Old 08-01-2010, 01:37 AM

We did the magnetic wall thing too! I used magnetic paint, and used a few heavy layers.

I just got the Ikea wire and clippies. At the store, the clips didn't seem to scrunch the sample art too bad, I think we can get away with them. We also have colorful mini clothespins I got at Michaels.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page