Online Math or Math DVDs/CdRoms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have some recommendations for 3d-6th grade math programs online, on dvd or on cd-rom?

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#2 of 7 Old 07-26-2010, 10:49 PM

Its not really a program on its own but we love ixl.com for practice. It goes up to a 6th grade level (7th and 8th grades are being released this September).

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#3 of 7 Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 AM

For Saxxon Math you can get the Dive CD's. I like it, because my son can pause the lecture while he takes down his notes, then he can continue. They are little bit religious, but if you don't mind that, they are a good tool.
#4 of 7 Old 07-29-2010, 06:09 AM

There are some nice programs (grades 3-10), on www.tenmarks.com that I have been using with my son with great results… Summer and year long programs, state mapped, and with nice, structured curriculums. What we liked is the assessment – If you don’t want to pick a step up or foundation program yourself, just have your kid tested on various concepts based on state and grade, and they’ll set up a personalized curriculum just for you. And they keep us involved through recommendations and stuff, and their programs cover all my son needs.

What my son likes is that it takes a limited amount of time – short worksheets, and he learns at his own time, and his own pace, as he masters one concept before moving to the next. He learns on his own too – I’m no math expert, and their hints and video lessons, practice, tests really help build his confidence.

Hope this helps you out !
#5 of 7 Old 07-29-2010, 12:38 PM

#6 of 7 Old 07-29-2010, 05:53 PM

http://www.whizz.us/

We do the UK version because we are in Europe. The kids love it and can go at their own pace. Also gives lots of feedback for parents which I like.
#7 of 7 Old 07-29-2010, 06:20 PM

I really like the teaching textbooks, but dang they are pricey!!

We currently use IXL, and it's only $13 for all 3. I'm starting the 2 wk free trial at whizz to see if they like it better.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page