Penmanship for a 3.5yo - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-30-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3.5yo has become interested in writing her name, the name of family members, etc... I show her the "correct way" to write these things. She ends up with recognizable letters, but not made the "correct way." For example:
When making an uppercase A, she draws an H and then uses another line to attach the two tops of the H to make an A, if that makes any sense. It obviously looks like an A, but it uses more lines than convention dictates. I don't really want to do some penmanship curriculum or anything. I don't care if she learns to write now. I just worry about her developing bad habits that she will take with her when she's older. Should I just let her make her letters however she wants? Or should I encourage to make the letters correctly, and it will fix itself as she ages? (For what it's worth, I have horrible penmanship.)
#2 of 8 Old 07-30-2010, 01:42 PM

My DS was the same way and I did end up picking up HWTears Pre-K for him and we just did it when he wanted to. I worried about doing too much 'damage' by letting him just write without any 'instruction' of sorts. I didn't care one way or another about him writing at that age, but wanted to make sure that when he did, he was doing it properly for the most part. (starting the letters from the correct position, etc)

Gabriele familybed1.gif DS (11/05) - homeschool.gif computergeek2.gif
...it is nothing like school, and we are never at home...so why is it called homeschooling?

#3 of 8 Old 07-30-2010, 01:55 PM

I took the opposite approach, DD started writing before she turned 3.. Some letters and number she could do perfectly and others were... unrecognizable to me. We tried at first to show her how to write them correctly and she just grew frustrated. Finally we decided that the point was really to get her interested in it.. I picked up a couple of workbooks that had some line drawing (more learning to master the process between head and paper) and I let her have it, only giving her feedback when she asked it.

She's 4.5 now and while she still has some trouble with numbers, she can write all of her letters. My goal was to make it enjoyable rather than pushing her to do it "right".

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#4 of 8 Old 07-31-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nov05mama View Post
My DS was the same way and I did end up picking up HWTears Pre-K for him and we just did it when he wanted to. I worried about doing too much 'damage' by letting him just write without any 'instruction' of sorts. I didn't care one way or another about him writing at that age, but wanted to make sure that when he did, he was doing it properly for the most part. (starting the letters from the correct position, etc)
I don't know that I'd worry about that too much. In HWT they talk about it a bit. The gist of it being that sort of environmental writing isn't harmful. I believe they talk about it in the Pre-K teacher's guide.

OP - I'd also suggest HWOT Pre-K. It's cheap enough that you could get the student workbook and the teacher's guide. There are all sorts of other pieces that they sell...some of which you could make yourself and some of which you could probably skip altogether.
#5 of 8 Old 07-31-2010, 03:58 PM

My child started writing letters like that but now she writes them normally. I have no idea why. I mean, I always modeled the lines for her, but when she was first starting she definitely took some shortcuts / easy-cuts.

I only emphasized verbally what I was doing: up this way, down this way, and across the middle! Slowly she did it more and more typically.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#6 of 8 Old 07-31-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
I just worry about her developing bad habits that she will take with her when she's older. Should I just let her make her letters however she wants? Or should I encourage to make the letters correctly, and it will fix itself as she ages? (For what it's worth, I have horrible penmanship.)
Personally, I wouldn't worry about developing bad habits at 3.5. I would make sure she has alphabets to look at around and let her little brain will make the connections of how to make them correctly when it's ready!

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#7 of 8 Old 08-04-2010, 11:16 PM

My dd was the same way. We chose not to correct her unless she asked if it was correct. Otherwise we might say something like, that looks nice.

She is now 5 1/2 and has really nice handwriting for her age, imo. She knows all of her numbers, uppercase and I would say 70% of her lowercase.

We also never used those 3 lined papers, we will be doing HWT this year but I think not bugging her about it helped her really stay interested in "writing"
*mainly to practice writing on a line. I am just getting the workbook and extra paper.

now she does want them to be "correct"

Mom of 3.
#8 of 8 Old 08-05-2010, 12:19 PM
WCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockportmama View Post
Personally, I wouldn't worry about developing bad habits at 3.5. I would make sure she has alphabets to look at around and let her little brain will make the connections of how to make them correctly when it's ready!
ditto. My kids all tried writing at around 4 and it was done in their own style. IMO there is no 'correct' way, if they want to start their A at the top instead of the bottom, for ex. Or short-cut as your daughter is.

To me the point is to suport their attempts and trust in their bodies. Now at 7 and 10 their writing is fine. It's not curly or pretty, it's just block writing. I can understand their notes, letters, and to me that is the goal.

And if it comes up, ditto to writing numbers. All my kids wrote certain numbers and letters backwards (3, S, 4 9 . ..) and it's fine. I never corrected them. They see me writing cards, the grocery list, they see how it's 'supposed' to look. My correcting would just be shutting down their own attempts and pride in their own efforts.

Passionate posts = oodles of typos

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page