7th grade curriculum and schedule. Where do I start?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-05-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have decided to have a go at homeschooling my daughter with is starting 7th grade. I do not know where to start. I have a few books on homeschooling but still feel confused on what books. I am not looking for a religious based educational approach. Where is a good place to look for books and could I get some of your suggestions for types of schedules?? I am not looking for a full school day type of schedule either but she does need structure. Any and all advise is welcome!! Thanks! Melody

Wife to a super sexy hubby , mom to Christian 12/94 , Autumn 10/97 (HB), Will 07/00 (HB), Ocean 06/09 (birth center) and Zion 11/13 (HB) co-sleeper. no-vac, no-circ, babywearer, 8.5 years accu BF...and counting.
#2 of 4 Old 08-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you talked to her about what she's interested in learning? At that age, she can be pretty involved with planning her learning.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 4 Old 08-05-2010, 05:55 PM

I'm a big fan of the Well-Trained Mind. It's overwhelming, but I think it's one of those resources where you can take what you like and leave the rest. Even if you don't go for the whole Classical package, it might offer some inspiration.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#4 of 4 Old 08-05-2010, 06:20 PM

For yourself, I would read "The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child" by Linda Dobson, and/or "Homeschooling the Teen Years" by Cafi Cohen.

The first year is very much trial and error, getting used to the idea of homeschooling, and finding your own personal styles. Give her plenty of time to de-school and involve her in choosing what she wants to do and learn.

read.gif mama to 2 dust.gifhomeschool.giftreehugger.gifsaynovax.gifRainbow.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page