Has any one homeschooled a child that is not yours? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a nephew that is 14 today actually. he has some learning disabilities and the school is just not doing him justice. My sister and I (and him) have talked about this a lot. It seems that I am the only one that can explain things in ways that he understands. We are thinking about having me homeschool him. would you? I am planning on homeschooling my kinds but my oldest is 3 so.... I don't really know where to begin. Any ideas? encouragement? tell me I am nuts to do this if I am.

Big Momma
#2 of 3 Old 08-08-2010, 10:58 AM

I've never homeschooled someone else's kids (or my own actually.. she doesn't even talk yet hehe) but I think it would be really really awesome of you to help out and homeschool your nephew ♥
#3 of 3 Old 08-08-2010, 12:38 PM

I think it is important to realize that what you will be doing is tutoring, and that the laws in some states are very different, and that you should at least know what they are- wheather you chose to follow them or not.

You also should look into what happens if you homeschool part of high school and then want to re-enroll him. In many states/districts they will not count high school credits taken at home, so no matter how much he has completed he will start as a new freshman if he goes back to school.

All that out of the way

My 14yo sis lives with us and I homeschool her. We have dad fill out the paperwork like he is homeschooling her, but I do it.

Would you be doing 8th grade? If so that would at least give you a year to test it out.

Can his family do any of the work or would this all be on you? You will also need to have clear talks about who pays, what hours, who makes sure work gets done, ect.

I am sure you can do it, but make sure it is going to work for everyone first.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page