Is there a "best place" to buy stuff - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 08-11-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm almost ready to start ordering curricula and stuff. Just wondering if there is a "best place" to order, or if I should go straight to the source, or....? I'd rather avoid the hassle of ordering used for now.

If it matters I'm looking at things like SOTW, AAS, ETC, and Singapore Math....

Thanks!
#2 of 21 Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 PM

I buy a lot of stuff from Rainbow Resource Center.
#3 of 21 Old 08-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I buy almost everything from Amazon.com - sometimes it costs a bit more but I can use giftcards to help cover costs.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#4 of 21 Old 08-11-2010, 09:19 PM

I get a lot of my books from Amazon too b/c I have a prime membership and everything from Amazon ships in 2 days free. Yay

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#5 of 21 Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Used stuff through diaperswappers or yahoo groups. Otherwise Amazon or Rainbow Resources.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#6 of 21 Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 PM

Another one here who shops through Amazon and Rainbow Resource for sure! I don't think I've bought from anywhere else. Oh wait, Discount School Supply is where we get most of our art supplies! I order in bulk several times a year for those. That's about it. (And the library)

I am looking for a place with good science kits if anyone has a source.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#7 of 21 Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 PM

Amazon, Rainbow Resource, Discount School Supply, and I get some stuff (if I can find it) from PaperBackSwap. I am also extremely fortunate to have a Homeschool Store here locally that sells new materials as well as consignment materials!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
I haven't ordered from here before, so I have no personal knowledge of the site, but I have it bookmarked for future reference b/c it looks awesome:
http://www.hometrainingtools.com/

Gabriele familybed1.gif DS (11/05) - homeschool.gif computergeek2.gif
...it is nothing like school, and we are never at home...so why is it called homeschooling?

#8 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Wow, I'm so unoriginal. I buy nearly everything through Amazon & Rainbow Resource.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#9 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 03:35 AM

Yup, Rainbow Resource and Amazon.
Or used homeschool supply groups on yahoo or whatever (seems there's a dozen out there for each curriculum!).

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#10 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
www.allbookstores.com They survey tons of bookstores/used bookstores and find the cheapest books for you.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#11 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely check out Amazon since I have Prime, and the others you've suggested. See who has everything for the best price!
#12 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 09:32 AM

Christianbookstore.com had the best prices I've found and shipping is reasonable. I bought some singapore books from there.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#13 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 AM

if i don't want to buy used, then I price shop for the lowest cost including s&h. i've ordered directly from the curriculum website, from amazon, rainbow resource, and i also like christian book. if your just looking for simplicity though, rainbow resource is very fair and reasonable with shipping, plus they carry just about everything - so it can be a one stop shop in your order. hth.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#14 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
if i don't want to buy used, then I price shop for the lowest cost including s&h. i've ordered directly from the curriculum website, from amazon, rainbow resource, and i also like christian book. if your just looking for simplicity though, rainbow resource is very fair and reasonable with shipping, plus they carry just about everything - so it can be a one stop shop in your order. hth.
It does, thanks.

So far RR has everything I want and is mostly cheaper, whereas Amazon only has SOTW and ETC. I have prime, but it would be easier to just place the one order, so I'm likely to go that way. I'll check out Christianbook forist though..... And peek at the curriculum websites to compare.... So many choices!!!
#15 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
Another one here who shops through Amazon and Rainbow Resource for sure! I don't think I've bought from anywhere else. Oh wait, Discount School Supply is where we get most of our art supplies! I order in bulk several times a year for those. That's about it. (And the library)

has anyone looked at it -- is DDS a better place for art than Rainbow?

I long to estable a simple routine to my homeschooling -- to my LIFE -- where i just have say 2 or 3 places i go for everything ....

Amazon.com / rainbow and Discount School Supply seems to cover it all ....just wondering ..

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#16 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post
Christianbookstore.com had the best prices I've found and shipping is reasonable. I bought some singapore books from there.
Love, love, lov Christianbooks.com
#17 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 04:43 PM

Another person who orders virtually everything from amazon, rainbow resource, and discount school supply here!

I use amazon primarily for books to read (story books, easy reader, etc.) as well as general homeschooling books for myself. It's also great for random little things throughout the year, like pencil grips, and for things like cap erasers that I just don't feel like driving 45 minutes away to an office supply store to pick up. I have a prime membership so everything is free and quick shipping.

I use rainbow resource for all kinds of things but I can't stand paying for shipping so I usually only get up to the $150 free shipping minimum once a year. They have wonderful customer service and pack things very well, the only time I had even the slightest problem they did everything possible to fix it.

I use discount school supply for craft supplies. I get fine art materials locally or through rainbow resource but discount school supply is great for crafty stuff. I've gotten amazing deals on beads, popsicle sticks (a box of 1500!), tempera paint, felt, foam sheets, and so on. Decent quality and inexpensive enough for the kids to make crafts every day.

The only other significant orders I place each year are through math u see (their books have to be purchased through them) and through seton (a Catholic curriculum company).
#18 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
www.allbookstores.com They survey tons of bookstores/used bookstores and find the cheapest books for you.
i've never seen this. thank you!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#19 of 21 Old 08-13-2010, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
i've never seen this. thank you!
I used to spend forever going from website to website trying to find the cheapest used books, but with www.allbookstores.com I don't have to do that any more.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#20 of 21 Old 08-13-2010, 02:35 AM

I have to admit Im so unoriginal, I use amazon.com for 99% of my shopping outside of day to day things. Living overseas in one of the few places I know most of the stuff I want will ship over here. I even found a rocker/ottomen that ships over here and saves me 70.00 from the only rocker they have at the furniture store on base. I ended up paying for Prime for 2 day shipping (which ends up being about a week but regular shipping takes almost a month sometimes longer) but I don't regret it. I know Ive made up for it in saving on shipping.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#21 of 21 Old 08-13-2010, 02:52 AM

I'd also take a look all through the FUN-Books website! Lots of great resources, many of which don't turn up other places. They don't try to carry everything, or even all the most popular items - the family carefully chooses "this catalog of books, games and other materials to help you in your efforts to produce life-long learners"

FUN- Books

Lillian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page