What are good math curricula for pre-K? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-15-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son, who is almost 4.5 will be starting homeschool in September. I'm looking for a math curriculum that I will be able to use when he's in Kindergarten but that I can use every once in a while this school year as well. I'd prefer something that has little workbook style activities and lots of manipulatives. I'm heard that Right Start and Math U See are good programs. Anyone familiar with these or have any other recommendations?

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#2 of 11 Old 08-15-2010, 08:37 PM

Sinapore math might be a good fit. The earlybird program has colorful workbooks that can engage a pre-k (we only did a little at a time as ds was interested.) And they tie in to the full Singapore program for elementary and upper grades.

The earlybird books don't come with manipulatives, but at the bottom of each page is an activity that is suggested to do with the children.
#3 of 11 Old 08-15-2010, 11:28 PM

We used Saxon K for our first year of home school and really liked it. My 5 yo and 3 yo both looked forward to math time-lots of manipulative play. I was initially taken aback by the "script" the teacher's guide provides for the lessons, but it was actually very helpful and flowed nicely. We are getting ready to start Saxon 1 tomorrow!
#4 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 09:04 AM

We also did a lot of math games and play. Skipbo, Uno, card games, Yhatzee, Pass the Pigs (great for addition), Chutes and Ladders, etc. And, my oldest loves the Kumon math workbooks. Once he got through the first few workbooks, we picked up Saxon and all of the manipulatives off Ebay.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#5 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 02:48 PM

RightStart all the way If you do a search here you will find lots of great reviews. We are starting this soon (my DD is 4.5) and I am so excited. The more I read through the curriculum, the more I am convinced that it is one of the best ways to teach math. (Just my opinion, though )
#6 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin0713 View Post
RightStart all the way If you do a search here you will find lots of great reviews. We are starting this soon (my DD is 4.5) and I am so excited. The more I read through the curriculum, the more I am convinced that it is one of the best ways to teach math. (Just my opinion, though )
Does it use manipulatives or it is more workbookish?

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#7 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 PM

Manipulatives, a lot of games, some worksheets. I don't think the worksheets are used until later though, not at the beginning levels (not positive about that.)
http://www.alabacus.com/
#8 of 11 Old 08-17-2010, 01:01 AM

I can't recommend RightStart highly enough.

If it is too costly for your budget, I would then suggest MEP Math Reception year, it's free and it looks great!

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#9 of 11 Old 08-21-2010, 09:22 PM

We do not use workbooks for our math and my 6 year old is doing multiplication and division because it is FUN! I purchased from Lakeshore Learning - Number Activity Mats ($20.00 aprox.). Each number has its own circle mat (1-20), with cute picture objects to count. 1 - 1 cake, 2 - 2 ice cream cones, etc.. We simply line them up the floor and they (6 & 8 year olds) hop from number to number and call the number out loud. Then we do simple adding and subtracting all while jumping from number to number. When we needed to go higher than 20 I went to a store and purchased a yoga floor mat ($10.00), cut out our own circles, and wrote the numbers on with markers. We made up all sorts of games with those number mats! Counting by 2's, 4's, 5's, etc; mixing the numbers in a big mess "swamp" and the kids have to find the next number and jump to it without falling in the "water".
#10 of 11 Old 08-21-2010, 09:31 PM

I really really REALLY wanted to go with RightStart, but it was just too much right now...so we are using Singapore Math and also plan to supplement with MEP if needed (it's a great free resource!)

Gabriele familybed1.gif DS (11/05) - homeschool.gif computergeek2.gif
...it is nothing like school, and we are never at home...so why is it called homeschooling?

#11 of 11 Old 08-22-2010, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We love "Hands on Standards" which is entirely manipulatives based and not horribly aggressive. It starts at Pre-K level.

My son is now 6yo and we use Saxon, but I reinforce with Hands on Standards.

Oh... and CHEAP! The link is to Amazon, but if you can find a local teacher store or Lakeshore Learning, they might have it cheaper!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page