Resources for Prehistory? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2010, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are doing SOTW 1 this year; but I am looking for some good resources for before dinosaurs. I want to do 4-6 weeks on Prehistory. You can find a unbelievable amount of info on dinosaurs and early man but I am having trouble finding stuff for my DS(8) that is before that.

This seems amazing to me. We are using the Usbourne Internet Linked Encyclopedia and SOTW. The UILE has about 100 pages on it with some links but I am coming up dry with actual hands-on reasources.

Anyone else have this problem? It's such a huge span of time I am just amazed at how little info I can find!

Thanks! Vanessa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 09:35 PM

charliesplayhouse.com has some cool products, though a tad pricey imo. I've thought about buying the cards with are $19, but really can't right now. I've already spent way to much money lately on school stuff. I'm also doing UILE and SOTW 1 this year. I will be watching this thread for more resources. I lucked into a few fun looking games for super cheap at the thrift store.

Walking With Prehistoric Beasts (this has some cards with prehistoric beasts and info on them)
Dinosaurs Extinct (this has some pretty cool dino cards that flip open to reveal the skeleton of the dino)
How big were they? a dinosaur matching game (each dino is pictured beside and everyday object to compare size and is in two pieces to put together like a puzzle)

blogging.jpg

Old 08-17-2010, 12:16 AM

I have a list of a bunch of books/videos about this - we ended up spending the whole first semester on this b/c it fascinated us so much. My dd was 7 last year, so a lot of it might work for your son. If you PM me, I'll email you the excel spreadsheet I have, and just look under prehistory thematic unit.

gardening : SAHM to ballerina (6/15/02) and son (5/18/05) still for my husband. Independent Childbirth Educator
Old 08-17-2010, 01:59 AM

We spent an entire summer going from the Big Bang to early humans and mapped out detailed lessons with fun activities. I did fizzle off on the detail once we hit dinosaurs and hominids, mostly because I didn't want to scare off my non-secular/creationist blog readers. I should finish the rest someday. You can find what I've got if you google "homeschool prehistory lessons".

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotnetdiva View Post
We spent an entire summer going from the Big Bang to early humans and mapped out detailed lessons with fun activities. I did fizzle off on the detail once we hit dinosaurs and hominids, mostly because I didn't want to scare off my non-secular/creationist blog readers. I should finish the rest someday. You can find what I've got if you google "homeschool prehistory lessons".
I wish you would! I LOVE reading your blog because it's exactly the sort of course of teaching I want to take. Seriously, I take notes when I read your blog. There are so many blogs out there that cater to the creationist homeschoolers, I really value reading about your experiences and what you do. It's really, really hard to find information about really good science programs and I have really been enjoying reading about the projects you've been doing.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
Old 08-17-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
I wish you would! I LOVE reading your blog because it's exactly the sort of course of teaching I want to take. Seriously, I take notes when I read your blog. There are so many blogs out there that cater to the creationist homeschoolers, I really value reading about your experiences and what you do. It's really, really hard to find information about really good science programs and I have really been enjoying reading about the projects you've been doing.

User Tag List