Has anyone here balance homeschooling with going to school for you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-19-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to stress out just a little. I signed up to take 12hours of online courses from our local college. PLUS I am homeschooling 7 children AND teaching three other kids with mine for science, one day a week.

I need tips and advice on balancing it all and keeping focused.

Anyone?

Caefi
#2 of 12 Old 08-19-2010, 05:49 PM

I'm doing it right now. Managers of Their Homes is the only thing saving me. I have a fairly structured schedule for our days, with me hsing 2 (3 when my dcb is here too), keeping 2 preschoolers occupied, and a FT college courseload on top of my h working 12-16hr shifts and my work as the head of student activities for our hs group. Basically, how it works is I do my classwork before they are up in the mornings (I get up at 5am for this purpose) and after my h is home from work at night. During the day we do lessons, mornings are our combined subjects and dd1 does her individual stuff before breakfast normally and dd2 does hers after lunch.

I learned real fast that to pull all this off I need to have a schedule and stick to it. I know not everyone does well with the structure that a schedule dictates, but honestly I have to do it or I will self-destruct. My family will fall apart and nobody will have a clue of what is going on if I don't have a schedule in place that is consistent. If the idea of a schedule makes you want to vomit, try just listing a set wakeup time for yourself and then an order for your day. I literally only have specific times set for meals and my wakeup and am fairly flexible within the schedule I have set, the times on it are just general timeframes usually and it allows me time to get the activity done and do the transition done when and how I need to. Also, I taught my kids real fast that if mommy says she's got to do some of her schoolwork, that is an automatic signal to go find something to play in their bedroom because momma needs to focus (usually I only do this for writing a paper)

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#3 of 12 Old 08-19-2010, 06:15 PM

Goodness, Woman! I consider myself pretty balanced, but no way on earth would I be able to pull that off.

I think you may just have to resign yourself to the fact that you are probably not going to be very balanced while you are in school and hsing that many kids.

I'd go into survival mode and just focus on making sure I get plenty of sleep and healthy food each day to manage that schedule. Everything else (exercising, visiting friends, personal time/activities, outside obligations) would be put on hold.

Good luck!
#4 of 12 Old 08-19-2010, 08:43 PM

Wow. I was going to chip in with some advice because I go to school full time, work some, and also home school my daughter. But 7 + 3 kids? Schedules don't work well for me. But making sure that I'm always on task and not goofing off (on mdc especially ) help me get it all done. I never get enough sleep either, but I make sure to get as much as possible. Being sleep deprived on top of everything would just make me nuts. I also take and keep little notes and calendars everywhere (a more organized person might use their phone or something to keep track of everything).

Sorry I don't have much advice. I'm totally impressed with your multitasking skills though.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#5 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
Sorry I don't have much advice. I'm totally impressed with your multitasking skills though.
cute!!lol I haven't managed it yet!!!

I have used MOTH before and have gleaned much from the book. So far, I've made and excel sheet of who has to be where, when and who is studying what, when, and such.

I just don't know when *I* will study.

Caefi
#6 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 AM

I'm in your boat sort of too. I'm hs'ing 3 kids and taking evening classes. Basically, my schooling and study time will have to be at night and the kids schooling time will have to be during the day. My garden has been neglected and the kids are learning to pick up after themselves. I am absolutely savoring this three week break between semesters and trying to get any painting, organizing, gardening, and especially kids lesson planning done before I start back for the fall. It is stressful and also very expensive.

This too shall pass!

hang.gif  

#7 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 02:20 PM

I've never heard of MOTH, but maybe I should check it out. I work full time, college part time, have side businesses (concert photographer, a couple websites, record label with boyfriend), and a ton of other projects, and HS my four year old. Everyone has said I'm nuts for doing it and occasionally I wonder if they're right, but I'm determined to do it all -- and do it well -- even if I'm my only supporter. No advice here, as I'm in a similar boat, but lots of and for taking on so much!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#8 of 12 Old 08-23-2010, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was stopping in to wallow in pity as I'm trying to do this as well... however after reading hsing 7 +3 ~ I've decided to take my happy butt on my way With just 2 & a part-time job, school threw me into the deep end a little. I've eliminated any activities that aren't necessary and relinquished control to my hubby of somethings that were "mine" but I'm certain you've probably already done all of that just to successfully hs 7! Good luck!

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#9 of 12 Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 PM

I am starting a course next month which is online, and I plan to study at night. Currently, ds#1 and ds#2 are homeschooling (ds#3 thinks school work involves eating paper and throwing cars lol). DP works 6am-2pm on weekdays so he is open to helping out if needed in the afternoons.

DS#1 2005 DS#2 2006 DS#3 2008
TTC#4 since September 2009
#10 of 12 Old 08-24-2010, 02:05 PM

I work 15-50 hours a week depending on the season and homeschool my 7 children. It is possible but not always easy.

#1 for us: we school year round. It makes it possible to spread out curriculum and work harder when I have time off.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#11 of 12 Old 08-25-2010, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
I work 15-50 hours a week depending on the season and homeschool my 7 children. It is possible but not always easy.

#1 for us: we school year round. It makes it possible to spread out curriculum and work harder when I have time off.
thank you, angelbee. I'm working 15hrs. I thought I would have time to study there, but it's turning out that I don't. The last two nights the college's website was down and I couldn't study at home either! lol Today went much better though. I think we're going to find a good fit.... maybe... i hope! lol

Caefi
#12 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just started a new routine this week and it's going ok... I'm getting up at 5 and studying until 7 when the littles typically start to want breakfast. I say it's only going ok bc I don't find my brain is really ready to hit the ground running first thing... BUT it is quiet and the only interruption is my hubby. So I hope the sleep fog will learn to clear w/ practice.

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page