Please help me with a good name for my private school - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I decided Home based private school would be the best option for me and my son, but have no idea what to name my school.

What did the rest of you do? Any good ideas?

Thanks,
Steph
#2 of 9 Old 08-25-2010, 03:17 AM

My daughter's middle name is Venus. So we're the "Venus Academy".

I've maybe used the school name two or three times ever for something. In CA at least, it's not a big thing. So I say to use anything. Something fun, something random, something that means something to you. Cause it doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot. So make it something that at least you and your son can appreciate.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#3 of 9 Old 08-25-2010, 06:48 AM

There are coyotes in the woods nearby (we see them often!), and we live at the foot of a mountain. So we're Coyote Mountain Academy. The kids love it.

Julie Married to my sweetheart
Mama to DD (8) DS (7) & DS (1)

#4 of 9 Old 08-25-2010, 10:05 AM

First, I just let the children name the school. This was long ago when I first started homeschooling, 2003. They loved the movie Twister and named the school Twister Academy. A couple years later, I decided to make the "lower school" Twister Academy and come up with a new name for the "upper school." I looked for names that were significant. We lived on Ellis Drive, had an Oak Tree, there was a lake at the end of the street, and so on. We considered Ellis Academy, Oakhill, Lakehill, we also thought of philosophers and such, such as Da Vinci and Socrates. In the end, we moved around this time and ended up on Lamplighter Drive so we named the upper school, Lamplighter Academy. I preferred Lamplighter School, but there is a Lamplighter School in the city and THSC said they would not print a diploma for us if we had the same exact name as another school in the state.

I hope this helps! I know of someone who used an acronym EWOK academy they were for Evangelical Warriors Of the Kingdom.
#5 of 9 Old 08-25-2010, 10:06 AM

How about Dorsey Day School if Dorsey is your last name?
#6 of 9 Old 08-25-2010, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I do frequently see people that use either their street name or last name as the base of their school name. You could play around with that. I just made ours up & called it "rootsong home school". When I was in CA & had to name my private school, I called us "evergreen school" for awhile, then got bored of that & called us "sage seasons academy". lol

There was a long thread recently on the well trained mind forums asking about school names. There were a lot of neat ones there, from the fun & funny to the more serious.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#7 of 9 Old 08-25-2010, 07:43 PM

Think of things that are important to you and your family. Look up synonyms for those words, combine them together, etc. Do some freeform writing about your plans, hopes and dreams for the school, and see what kinds of words you use. Grab synonyms for those words. Enjoy!!
#8 of 9 Old 08-27-2010, 03:46 AM

I guess the, "My kids are going to turn out better than yours Academy" sounds bad right?

Just kidding.

When we lived in CA we filled out our form with our last name "_______ Academy". Yes not very interesting.

Resistance is futile Matey
#9 of 9 Old 08-27-2010, 06:26 PM

Ours is Family First Primary School because a main reason we are home schooling is so we can put family first.

Leigh

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page