Create your own spiral math program? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2010, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We bought Singapore and Miquon. Singapore is not working "as is" for my oldest. I need to figure out how to make math work for her and I want to start by using a spiral program. We aren't going to buy anything though. So, I need to make my own. Can someone walk me through what I need to do?

Leigh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 01:43 AM

If you're not set on making your own curriculum, there is a spiral math curriculum available online for free.
http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

It's used in British schools, and I think it's a good quality program for the stage you're at (it's not clear to me that it covers as much in the high school years as I'd prefer, but that doesn't matter for you now).
Old 08-25-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldamomma View Post
If you're not set on making your own curriculum, there is a spiral math curriculum available online for free.
http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

It's used in British schools, and I think it's a good quality program for the stage you're at (it's not clear to me that it covers as much in the high school years as I'd prefer, but that doesn't matter for you now).
Wow, what an amazing resource! Thanks so much for posting about that!

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
Old 08-25-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that looks great! Thanks!

I'm still open to ideas on how to make what I already bought work. I hate to waste it.

I also found this and this. The first is to help a student behind in math (DD1 is doing 2nd grade math and is in the 5th grade) and the second is how to help a stuggling student. Both will help me a lot.
She got "scared" of math in the second grade. That's when we pulled her. Before that she enjoyed it and was wanting to move faster than the teacher would allow. We are still recovering. I was hoping the math we bought would be a good match, but it hasn't shown to be. She made it out of the first grade book we got (go back to really easy to calm her down) but has totally stalled out in the second grade. Just throws a fit about how "boring" it is and cries over having to do it sometimes. (not always) I don't think she is truely bored though. She can't do it well.
Anyway, I'm looking at how to catch her up and help her realize she CAN do this. I think going with a spiral program will help.

Thanks so much for the help so far!

Leigh

Old 08-27-2010, 05:02 PM

There's another free spiral math curriculum here: CSMP

Me , DH , Emmy (5/08), and new baby Tilda (1/10)

User Tag List