Need a book opinion.... anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest daughter is in love with the Swallows and Amazons series. We are sort of half-unschoolers, loosely Waldorf-inspired, and spend a lot of time emphasizing nature and the outdoors and the books are all about the good old fashioned adventures a group of children has in a beautiful natural setting. This daughter in particular is very nature- and outdoors-oriented and these books really "fit" her beautifully.

I just discovered that there is a book of photographs of the real places that Arthur Ransome describes in the books. I am conflicted, however, on whether or not to get it for her. I know she will LOVE it, but from an educational/imagination perspective I am wondering if it would be a wise decision to give it to her now, or if I should let her continue to imagine these places in her mind and not spoil her imagination. I gave her a similar book about the Little House series, but only after she had read the whole series. I don't let them watch movies made from books except in some cases until after they have read them for the same reason.

I am interested in hearing any/all perspectives and opinions on what might be a better choice in this matter. Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 08-27-2010, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just read about this book on amazon. What a great book. It says kids ages 9 to 12. Do you think that's accurate? My son is 4.5 and we're just starting our first chapter book (Little House in the Big Woods.) Do you think this is beyond him?

I was really disappointed the made Harry Potter into movies. Kids were reading and using their imaginations. Now they see it all in living color.

I'd lean towards holding off on giving your daughter the photographs. It's not like seeing the movie, but imagination is so important.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

I'd lean towards holding off on giving your daughter the photographs. It's not like seeing the movie, but imagination is so important.
i agree -- UNLESS your DD is in photography -- then i could see it -- but i'd hold off myself

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#4 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 10:55 AM

Do you have a link to the photography book? Our son loved the Swallows and Amazons series and we'd all enjoy seeing the book.

For any kid with a strong imagination I wouldn't worry about the book having some negative effect. If anything it might be a nice inspiration to see how someone else took something real and infused it with imagination. It took only one or two movie adaptations of books before our son declared the book is always better. So, I wouldn't assume that the power of the image is greater than the power of the child's imagination.
#5 of 6 Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

#6 of 6 Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
I just read about this book on amazon. What a great book. It says kids ages 9 to 12. Do you think that's accurate? My son is 4.5 and we're just starting our first chapter book (Little House in the Big Woods.) Do you think this is beyond him?
I think it might be, they are longer and the action is slower than the Little House books.

Thanks so much for replying. I am still leaning towards not giving it to her, or not until she has read a few more of the books. She is on Swallowdale right now which is #2. The complete list is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swallow...mazons_(series)

I just discovered that there are a whole bunch of fan websites too. I had no idea that this series even existed, I never read it or heard of it as a child but my dd is now keeping a journal on it and she is pouring over Sailing for Dummies and The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Boats and Ships, has taught herself how to tie knots and is declaring that she will own a sailboat when she grows up. Great self-directed unit study!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page