Good states vs bad states? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My husband wants us to relocate, and I would like to also. BUT, I am scared of situations like Dorsey's. I have heard of Californina and Pennsylvania and Georgia being that way. I am wondering, what states do you have personal knowledge of them being good vs bad for homeschooling and parents rights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's terrible that Dorsey is going through what she is, but I wouldn't make any big decisions based on it, because the vast majority of homeschoolers never have trouble with CPS. Homeschooling is legal, and CPS is generally very busy with real abusers.

If I were going to move, I would investigate homeschool groups in the areas we were considering, much in the way a schooling family might investigate schools.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:48 PM

I am from California --- I have heard lots of interesting homeschooling stories, would never move there and try to homeschool. Oh wait, I would never move back for a gazillion other reasons first!

I dont know about GA, but I saw a fun foreclosure story of the SWAT team 'assisting' the people out of their house, so wouldnt put it past them with CPS. However, people seem to really mind their beeswax here, KWIM?

I, personally, would check out Oregon, Colorado.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:18 PM

I homeschool in Pennsylvania. While it's considered one of the harder states to homeschool in, there's a difference between "hard" and "legalistic". I spent about 30 minutes creating my NOI papers, then made minor adjustments for the new year. Portfolio took about an hour. Evaluation took an hour. Testing is 3x's before high school.

It's stupid, but it's easy.

None of my irl hs friends (and we span 4 or 5 districts, reporting to our individual zoned districts) has had any trouble from any government entity.

I'm from NJ, and would love to go back. No notification, no nothing. I'm less familiar with irl homeschoolers over there, so I can't speak to any harassment issues.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 PM

I live in Indiana and homeschool, it's one of the easiest states to HS in. The only records I have to keep are attendance records, and legally that's all anyone can ask to see. It's very rare that hsers have issues here.

*eta*

Just to clarify, I am required to keep attendance records, but I'm not required to hand them in every year or anything. The superintendent can ask to see them, so I keep them just in case (I just mark a cumulative tally on our daily lesson plans). That's all the school district can ask to see, and I've never known anyone who was asked to show them.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:58 PM

Texas and Arizona are awesome. Texas requires nothing, no notification, no record keeping. Arizona requires notification only once, when you start homeschooling. Nothing on a yearly basis. I did HS in CA at one point, and was involved in the local HS community there, we had cases where HSing parents were harassed by the school districts, truant officers and even the police.

I think you are smart to check this out. I would never live in NY due to their vax exemption problems and HSing laws for example.

Figure out what you are willing to tolerate and what your ideal is.

You might find this map helpful but you must read the details of the states you are interested, because low regulation means a variety of things.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp
Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 PM

Idaho is very hands-off homeschool wise. They're one of the states that has fewer big-brother/nanny type laws. Hs'ers can go do their thing, no notification to anybody.

But. If, say, your 14yo wants to get more into chemistry, you can enroll your homeschooled child in up to two classes a semester/year without having to enroll them full time into public school. Handy for that added peace of mind that your kid won't blow up your house. Hs'ed kids can also join the sports teams if I remember right - a friend has a 17yo and was talking about that the other day. Been like that for a good 15 years I believe. But general living/harassment of homeschoolers I'm sure varies by community, so with that you do need to take caution.

But honestly, my family is/was more concerned with having a paying job than the specific state to live in. Are some states preferable? Of course. But if there's no job to support us, well, there you go. I can get creative as need be, I can suck it up and deal.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 08-28-2010, 07:47 PM

Arkansas is pretty non-invasive. You do have to fill out a form and turn it in to the school district each year - on the form you have to list your planned curriculum. However, no one is allowed to ask you about it or do any follow up checking - no attendance reporting, for instance, so I don't even know why that is required. There is mandatory testing here from 3rd grade up, but you can do it yourself if you pay for the test (we have done this - you don't submit the results anywhere, so, again ?why?), or the state provides testing centers where your child can take it for free.

The NW part of the state has a lot of homeschooling support groups, coops, and programs. It is pretty much homeschool heaven. The SW part, where I live, not so much LOL.

But our neighbors in TX! As someone mentioned above - they are free as a bird!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutiekitties View Post
I am from California --- I have heard lots of interesting homeschooling stories, would never move there and try to homeschool. Oh wait, I would never move back for a gazillion other reasons first!

I dont know about GA, but I saw a fun foreclosure story of the SWAT team 'assisting' the people out of their house, so wouldnt put it past them with CPS. However, people seem to really mind their beeswax here, KWIM?

I, personally, would check out Oregon, Colorado.
We're homeschoolers in CA and find it very easy with lots of support. The state education system offers lots to homeschoolers, and there are many charter schools to choose from that support homeschoolers and offer curriculum, enrichment classes, record-keeping, etc.

You also have the choice to homeschool privately and only have to notify the district each year that you are homeschooling by filing online. That's it: no required testing (unless you choose to hs through a charter school), no portfolio or other documentation.

That said, we're relocating to OR and find the required testing every few years (to be paid for by the parents) a bit cumbersome....and there aren't any charter school programs that serve homeschoolers to utilize if you choose. We're really excited about the move though for lots of other reasons (nature, for one) and an excellent parks and rec dept.

So, every area has something. In CA, our public schools are pretty bad, so many people homeschool or choose alternative/private programs for that reason, so there is a lot of support. We just love homeschooling though and would do it regardless of where we live
Old 08-28-2010, 09:13 PM

Hm... I live in Mississippi, and according to our neighbors (and the HSLDA site) we are only required to give some notification, and that's it! Easy peasy.

EDIT-- Now, as far as living here, there IS a Toyota plant coming to Tupelo. Sometimes it's hard finding good work around here that isn't low paying. Well... to some people it is. It depends on what you're willing to do. If you're ok with some physical labor you can make it. Closer to Memphis is also good because there's lots of jobs there, it seems... once again, depending on what you want to do.

Nikki, Wife to Rob (5 yrs)and mother to Julia (3 yrs)
Old 08-28-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansmama View Post
We're homeschoolers in CA and find it very easy with lots of support. The state education system offers lots to homeschoolers, and there are many charter schools to choose from that support homeschoolers and offer curriculum, enrichment classes, record-keeping, etc.
I didn't say it wasnt easy. I said I heard a lot of interesting stories (over a 25 yr period). I am glad you are having a fantastic time, but this thread isn't about it being easy or hard, it is about being a target. Lisa doesn't want to end up like Dorsey.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:19 PM

i lived in sacramento right before we moved here (in SC but near the charlotte NC area). my best friend still lives there and unschools with ease. i also have a good friend in atlanta (where i'm originally from & grew up) and she homeschools with no issues whatsoever. we are currently in SC & our laws seem strict to an onlooker, but it's really very easy here. our homeschool group is in charlotte (just 45 minutes away), and although i'm not familiar with NC laws, most of the people i know IRL live there & are unschoolers. they have no issues whatsoever. there are over 10,000 homeschoolers in the charlotte area alone. hth.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 08-28-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I would never live in NY due to their vax exemption problems and HSing laws for example.
I thought that before we moved here, but I haven't had any trouble with getting a vax exemption for my 4yo to get speech services through the school district or with us homeschooling the older kids. NY's laws make it sound harder than it really is.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 08-28-2010, 11:56 PM

I'm in CA and have had many false CPS reports that have lead to major CPS harassment (especially over home schooling). Yeah the workers in my county have a real bee in their bonnets over me home schooling...no matter how legal and "easy" it is.

I don't know that you can really label states (especially ones as big as CA) as either good or bad. In my experience it various so much from city to city, county to county, and especially worker to worker.

I have been put through hell and back from CPS in the county that I live in (Ventura). I have been told by numerous lawyers that if I just lived five minutes away in the next county (L.A.), that I would have never had any of this grief. But my county is small and boring, so they have less to do. In the other county, there are real problems and abuse for them to deal with instead of harassing me for what seems like fun to them.

I don't speak about my cps experiences here because inevitably someone will come along and say that "I must be hiding something" and that cps "doesn't really do" what they did to me for "no reason". Which is not true. CPS can and does make big mistakes with who they label as "potentially abusive". I know because it happened to me (note my kids have never been removed though, I've just been threatened with it many times). I don't know how often it happens. But if it happened to me, I'm sure it happens to others.

So while I understand the fear and the reason to start a thread like this, I just don't think it will work. When it comes to wrongful CPS involvement, so much of it is random and bad luck I think.

Instead of trying to locate the "safest" state or city (which I don't think exists). Find a state with good home schooling laws. Don't abuse or neglect your kids (duh). Stay away from toxic friends or family who might make CPS calls out of spite. Stay away from any drama that can lead to CPS interference. Know what to do (and what NOT to do) should CPS ever drop by your home. And then just live your life normally. Because I don't think this is something that happens everyday to people when it shouldn't.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Old 08-29-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
I thought that before we moved here, but I haven't had any trouble with getting a vax exemption for my 4yo to get speech services through the school district or with us homeschooling the older kids. NY's laws make it sound harder than it really is.
I've read many threads in the vax forum from parents being harassed when trying to use their religious exemption in NY. In fact I'd say it's the state most often posted about with regard to vax exemption problems here.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:41 AM

I live in Kentucky and it's very simple. You just have to send a letter of intent to the board of education at the beginning of the school year. There are quite a few homeschooling groups and co-ops in my area.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 08-29-2010, 03:30 AM

I live in Kansas and it's pretty simple. Just register as a "private school" and you are done.

Leigh

Old 08-29-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutiekitties View Post
I didn't say it wasnt easy. I said I heard a lot of interesting stories (over a 25 yr period). I am glad you are having a fantastic time, but this thread isn't about it being easy or hard, it is about being a target. Lisa doesn't want to end up like Dorsey.
Gotcha. I just didn't want the op to think CA is a tough place to hs, as it's pretty easy for most/all hsers I know- including us.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:27 PM
AJP

Quote:
Gotcha. I just didn't want the op to think CA is a tough place to hs, as it's pretty easy for most/all hsers I know- including us.
I agree. We're starting our 6th year of HSing in CA, it's easy, no one we know has been targeted because of HSing, it's not that unusual as an educational choice here and there is a lot of support available in many areas in addition to the state-wide (secular and non-gov't) support groups like HSC and CHN.

There is no secret ingredient.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem0406 View Post
Arkansas is pretty non-invasive.
I'm glad Arkansas is a pretty easy state to homeschool. We just do our paperwork by the 15th of August every year and I make sure they test in March/April. I just wish they had more group things around where we live as well.

I'm a single, self-employed, homeschooling mom of 2 great kids. Girl 9/95 and Boy 3/99.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't think Vermont is a state where you have to worry about homeschooling making you a target for harassment. There seem to be a lot of homeschoolers, and people don't seem to think it's a weird choice - at least, I haven't run across anyone who seems to think it's weird or who has talked about it disapprovingly.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:56 PM

I'd say any state where there is as little interference as possible.

We've lived in both Texas and Arizona (we are there now). In Texas we did not have to report. Here in AZ, we report...and that's it. Which is good.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I'd say any state where there is as little interference as possible.

We've lived in both Texas and Arizona (we are there now). In Texas we did not have to report. Here in AZ, we report...and that's it. Which is good.
This was my earlier point: CA also only requires that you report once per year, which to me seems pretty hands-off compared to states where you are required to provide test scores and/or course of study and/or work samples.

That's great that TX interferes even less, though.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly1976 View Post
I'm glad Arkansas is a pretty easy state to homeschool. We just do our paperwork by the 15th of August every year and I make sure they test in March/April. I just wish they had more group things around where we live as well.

We turn in our paperwork each year. We do have an active community in Central Arkansas. Several, in fact. Our homeschool group is a testing site for the annual mandated testing for 3rd-12th grades. It is a private site and only members of the group can test there. The state has several open testing sites around the state each year.

I love that I do not have to report anything except the fact we homeschool.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:43 PM

I have never had any problems when I homeschooled in Ohio.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:01 PM

I can't speak for now, as I haven't lived in CA for almost 15 years now, but back when I HS;d there the problem was that while HSers where using the R4 affidavit to register as a private school, it was not designed for that purpose and it wasn't explicitely spelled out in law that HSers could use it. So people did, but depending on your local school district some accepted it and some refused to accept it and considered the kids truant, reported people to CPS ect.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
in missouri its super easy. i have never had to file any paperwork or anything
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:31 PM

I was just talking about this with a friend. She's from AZ and said they only have to file a letter of intent the FIRST year they HS...only once! And they just had a HS at the Capital day this spring hosted by the governor where the school super THANKED them for saving the state so much money each year! they seem to have some very pro HS legislators as well...I know one of them actually HS's! (or did) The bigger cities have very large, vibrant HS communities as well...sounds like a great place, if you can take the heat, lol.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 08-31-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
We're homeschoolers in CA. . .
You also have the choice to homeschool privately and only have to notify the district each year that you are homeschooling by filing online. That's it: no required testing (unless you choose to hs through a charter school), no portfolio or other documentation.
Just FYI, that online affidavit is you declaring yourself a private school to the state. It's not notifying your district of anything. In fact, if your child was previously enrolled in a PS, you are supposed to notify the school/district yourself to let them know that your child is no longer enrolled at that school, and that they are now enrolled in your private school, and request any records they might have.

Another CA homeschooler chiming in. I'm only 3 weeks in, but I haven't heard a peep from the local school district. When I informed them last year that he was going to be HSed this year, they didn't bat an eye and just said they'd fill out a withdrawal form for him. I'm not even sure that our county has a truancy officer at this point anyway, LOL. The neighboring county can't afford one anymore.

I live in an area where there are quite a few HSers, have several HS friends and acquaintances and nobody that I know of has had an issue. I don't mean to claim that *nobody* has had any trouble in CA--just remember that you hear a lot more about the bad cases than the good ones, KWIM?

http://californiahomeschool.net/howT...CHNJTF2010.pdf
This is a good overview of the ways you can HS in CA. HTH

ETA: I also have a good friend who HS in Montana and says the laws there are great. They just submit a statement of intent and they're pretty much left alone.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids

User Tag List