Read alouds... What are you reading right now? What's on your list for the year? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 10-29-2010, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're about halfway through 'Little House in Brookfield.' My kids, especially my 6yo, fell in love with the Little House series and when we finished, we had to find more!

I'm not sure what we'll read next.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#32 of 58 Old 10-29-2010, 12:15 AM

We are reading:The Long Winter and Voyage of the Dawn Treader
I am reading Winnie the Pooh, mainly with my 4 year old
Beatrix Potter to anyone that wants to listen
Lots of Margaret Wise Brown to the toddler who love Big Red Barn

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#33 of 58 Old 10-29-2010, 03:06 AM

Walk the World's Rim. We have been reading that book for a while.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#34 of 58 Old 10-29-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
Right now DD7 and I are reading The Egypt Game (love that book!). After that, I'm not sure. I put together a huge number of books for our "book jar," and we pick from there for readalouds and, now that she's older, her "schoolish" self-reading.

ETA: Oh, I just realized that next will be The House With a Clock in Its Walls, by John Bellairs. We'd started it, but we don't like to read more than one book at a time together, so we put it aside. Love that book too! It's so weird to be reading my childhood favorites with my own kids

LOVE LOVE LOVE Zilpa Keatley Snyder!!!! DS loved Egypt Game and Gyspy Game too. I can't wait until he is a little older and will understand the Green SKy triology - Those are my favorites!

We are currently reading a Halloween Magic Tree House book, various Magic School Bus books, Usborne World History, Usborne Ancient History (his current fave), and whatever other random books he pulls off the bookcase during the day. We read ALOT here.

Next, Another Magic tree house book to go with our history...along with the rest. Plus I think we will try a Roald Dahl book - love him!! - maybe BFG. Or james and the giant peach. Or perhaps start teh Chronicles of Narnia. Or the Hobbit. After we learn a bit more grammar, we are going to re-read Phantom Tollbooth (my fave kids' novel ever!)
#35 of 58 Old 10-29-2010, 04:27 AM

I'm definitely going to get The Egypt Game, it looks good and my DS is so into Egyptian mythology (we need to read The Red Pyramid soon too).

We are currently reading the fourth book in the Guardians of Ga'hoole series (The Siege), we plan to see the movie this weekend.

We just finished listening to The Phantom Tollbooth on CD and are now listening to a Dragon Slayers Academy book.

Books on deck include: The Mysterious Benedict Society, book 4 in the Sisters Grimm series and The Family Under the Bridge.

On audio we have some story collections. DS really enjoyed listening to American Tall Tales and Six Greek Myths Retold so we'll try a Jim Weiss collection next.
#36 of 58 Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 AM

I don't remember what chapter books I put in my old post but we are going through The Magic School Bus chapter books. And also Pony Pals.
#37 of 58 Old 10-29-2010, 10:26 AM

The Princess and the Goblin, The Voyages of Marco Polo, Michelangelo, The Heroes and others, as part of Ambleside Online Year 3. Love 'em all.
#38 of 58 Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 AM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post
Right now we are reading Frindle and Ramona the Pest. Next in line is My Father's Dragon.

Amy
Well, we still haven't read "My Father's Dragon". Instead, we read "A Mouse Called Wolf" by Dick King-Smith which we all really enjoyed. We also read "Chocolate Fever", and the novelization of a Barbie movie

Yeah, somehow we had the Barbie book and we were going through our collection to reorganize and my four year old saw it. Funny, because she doesn't realize it is a barbie book (she doesn't play with them) but she loved the cover of girls in fancy dresses. And, fwiw, while I still wouldn't "recommend" the book, it wasn't all that bad. And, while I am a person who actually likes Junie B (bad grammar and all), I was really tired of my four year old bringing another one of those out!

I think she can follow the Junie B books better than some of the other chapter books. She "gets" it. But, I was quite please that she completely understood our other books this month too. Yeah!

Oh, I picked up a collection of princess stories (general princess stories) from the library. They were all short stories, unconventional princesses, and a bit of fun. I liked introducing my kids to the world of short stories. Until now, a short storie was aka picture book.
Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#39 of 58 Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 PM

Ooh, I love reading aloud! As a family read-aloud, we're on Harry Potter #5.

The last parts of our homeschool day (besides music and art) involve reading aloud. I usually read first from a book of stories, things like bible stories, adaptations of Shakespeare, mythology, something like that. Right now, we're working through American Folk: Classic Tales Retold, by Charles Sullivan. After that, I read a chapter or two of some classic work of literature- we're about halfway through Gulliver's Travels, which I really dislike (but will finish). Other recent selections have included The War of the Worlds (which ds liked but I did not) and Watership Down (which we both liked, but wasn't something I would've read on my own, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to read it out loud ). Not sure what we'll do next.

After that, ds reads a chapter or two out loud of a book I choose for him (although I will take his suggestions under consideration). Right now, he's on Fudge-A-Mania, the third (out of four, I believe) of Judy Blume's Fudge books. He'll read the fourth, he LOVES these books, and then I'll probably steer him to another author, to make sure he's getting a good variety.
#40 of 58 Old 10-29-2010, 03:34 PM

Our 7.5 yo is just now interested in listening to short chapter books. We are reading our way through the Moongobble series of five books by Bruce Coville. He listens to 2-3 chapters per night. I am so excited to finally have him interested in a chapter book series.

I have purchased the Tales from the Odyssey books by Mary Pope Osborne. I am hoping that he may be willing to listen to those sometime soon.

We recently watched the movie A Wrinkle in Time together. I don't know if he is ready to listen to that book yet, but I may give it a try.

I have the entire Chronicles of Narnia series with full color illustrations. I read the first book to him but really he wasn't very interested. If he gets more interested I want to read the series to him.

I also have both of the George books by Lucy and Stephen Hawking. I would love to read those to him.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#41 of 58 Old 10-29-2010, 04:26 PM

Current chapter boook Read-Aloud is Poppy by Avi we are about half-way through with it. Next up I don't know, maybe Narnia. I have made a list of chapter books I want to get through with this year and a very, very large list of picture books but we read dozen and dozens of those a week, too many to list. Currently we are working our way through the rest of the FIAR booklist along w/ Caldecott honor books list.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#42 of 58 Old 10-29-2010, 06:10 PM

We are working through The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter for the second time. We all love them. We're also working through Aesop's Tales, D'Aulaires Greek Myths, Fifty Famous Stories Retold, and Arnold Lobel's Mother Goose. I'm trying to hit all age groups here. We are also slowly reading through Archimedes and the Door of Science. Next up are more Greek and Roman myths, a couple biographies (Aristotle and Copernicus), and The Complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#43 of 58 Old 10-29-2010, 08:40 PM

Right now we're reading Wind in the Willows and Five Children & It. Next up will be Pagoo, Seabird, and Brighty of the Grand Canyon.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan

DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school

DS(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

#44 of 58 Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 PM

We just started reading Harry Potter Book 1! I've been waiting years for one of my kids to become interested and it finally happened!

Dee, mama to Robin , Wren , Finch and baby Lark born 12/27!
#45 of 58 Old 10-30-2010, 01:20 PM

Subbing!
books!
A book my varied ages (11, 9, 5) liked recently was "The City of Ember." "The Mouse and his Motorcycle" , "Henry and Ribsy", and "Gentle Ben" were also hits with all three.
#46 of 58 Old 10-30-2010, 07:35 PM

My daughter (4) and I are taking turns reading Stuart Little out loud. I think we'll do Charlotte's Web next.
#47 of 58 Old 10-31-2010, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Right now, dh is reading the kids C.S. Lewis' The Last Battle at bedtime.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#48 of 58 Old 11-01-2010, 01:40 AM

We are totally hooked on any Newbery Award winning books. They have brought us all over the world and to so many time periods. Absolutely fantastic writing.
#49 of 58 Old 11-01-2010, 10:23 PM

Just finished Redwall. Now we're lightening things up and have moved to Ginger Pye.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#50 of 58 Old 11-02-2010, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We are reading the Invention of Hugo Cabret - my 4 and almost 7 year old are enthralled by it, it is really good

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#51 of 58 Old 11-03-2010, 02:13 PM

My husband is reading the second in the Mysterious Benedict Society to my boys ( 5 and 7)
I am reading the new Rick Riordan book, the Lost Hero, to them.
They are both wicked good.
#52 of 58 Old 11-03-2010, 02:39 PM

DH is reading Narnia to DD (5) at bedtime - I don't know what book they're on.
I'm reading The Wind in the Willows to DS (9) at bedtime.
I'm reading Twig to both of them during the day. It's a really cute story.

Mama to three  
#53 of 58 Old 11-03-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
We've offically scratched Beatrix Potter - I couldn't stand it anymore.

Treating ourselves to an Audiobook of The Secret Garden which my barely 4yo is LOVING and asking for more!
Dd and I really disliked the Beatrix Potter series when she was little, but we kept it on the shelf. Then, for some reason at about 6yo, she decided that she really liked it and we read through the collection several times *shrug* maybe it will be more enjoyable when your lo is a little older.

We are also reading the Little House series this year. Last year we did the first three Harry Potter books aloud, but after that the content gets a little more scary and plus I just got kinda burnt out on reading them out loud.

Right now we are bouncing around between the Reader's Digest _World's Greatest Fairy Tales_ Collection (fabulous, btw!), Stories of King Arthur, and On the Banks of Plum Creek. Also lots of poetry, and dd keeps asking for Grammar Land funny, she goes on and on about how much she loves Grammar Land

I don't really plan our RAs out, but did purchase several of the ____(Iliad, Odyssey, etc.) for Boys and Girls series, some Robin Hood tales, a couple of living history books, and lately I've been thinking about the Burgess Bird or other books because we did start it, dd loved the characters, and then we petered out on it, but she has periodically brought it up since then.

Love this thread! Great ideas here, keep 'em coming!

Happy and in love with my family!
#54 of 58 Old 11-06-2010, 02:27 AM

We just read Catwings by Ursula K. Le Guin tonight. It's only four(fast!)chapters so it's short & sweet. Apparently, it's a series of four books. We're going to read the next one, Catwings Return, tomorrow night.

If you, or your kiddos, like cats and/or fantasy, give these a try!!!

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#55 of 58 Old 11-06-2010, 10:15 AM
kwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post
Right now we are bouncing around between the Reader's Digest _World's Greatest Fairy Tales_ Collection (fabulous, btw!), Stories of King Arthur, and On the Banks of Plum Creek. Also lots of poetry, and dd keeps asking for Grammar Land funny, she goes on and on about how much she loves Grammar Land
I am thinking of giving ds Grammar Land for Christmas . He goes on adn on about it too and wants to re read it (i thought it was a pain to read off the computer!). We read it last year!

I love these kinds of threads
#56 of 58 Old 11-07-2010, 01:42 AM

Reading Black Beauty and LOVING it!
#57 of 58 Old 11-07-2010, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We're now reading The Borrowers and Ramona Forever.
#58 of 58 Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 AM

Marc is reading The BFG to them at bedtime. I'm reading The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page