Read alouds... What are you reading right now? What's on your list for the year? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2010, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just like the title says I’d love to hear what you’re all reading aloud with your kiddos right now and what’s on your “to read” list for year, if you’ve got one.

We started The Adventures of Tom Sawyer Monday night, which is our first read aloud of the "official” school year. I'm thinking we'll read either The Twits or Hatchet after that.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We're working our way through The Complete Works of Beatrix Potter and I"m very tempted to scrap it and go for the Thornton Burgess books instead.

I know they are supposed to be related, but Burgess just flows to read aloud, and Potter doesn't to me. Plus Burgess actually shows social skills, not just animals behaving badly and learning their lesson.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:00 AM

Mine loves to have any book she thinks as "mommy books" read to her during meal times and when she is doing arts and crafts. Im about to start Little Princess with her and after that read Secret Garden. That should take us to January unless she gets hooked on one and wants to hear more of it.
New year Im thinking of starting the Little House books since I just got the whole set. Ive read her Little House in the Big Woods again and she liked parts of it and got bored during parts so Im not sure if I will or wait for a while.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 09-01-2010, 08:10 AM

I had this grand idea of reading all the Harry Potter books to my kiddos, have almost finished the first one and found it quite hard to read aloud. Part of me thinks I should just let them read them themselves when they are a bit older...plus the SIZE of those books.

We just went through a lot of the Roald Dahl books, which they loved and they are so easy to read aloud..

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
Old 09-01-2010, 09:52 AM

Charlotte's Web
Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm reading Sunwing (the second in a series by Kenneth Oppel) to 7.5 year old DD. We have the third Mysterious Benedict Society book waiting for us to read next. I was reading the Dragonling series to 4.5 year old DS - we were on the second one - but last night he said he wanted to switch to the next Moomin book, so we started The Exploits of Moominpappa. I'm also reading The Graveyard Book to both kids.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:12 AM

Mine are still small enough that we read tons of one-sitting books. All of us choose at the library, and I'm trying to go through the Ambleside Year 0 list.

We've also started The Complete Works of Beatrix Potter. This is the second time we've tried it, and something about it just doesn't catch on with them. When I pull it out, they ask if they can go do something else.

I may try Charlotte's Web. I think they'd enjoy that. DS wants books about boys, which is tough to find. I'm thinking of Hatchet, but I need to re-read it myself first. I wanted to read Taste of Blackberries to them, but I talked to DS first because the point is that the main character's best friend dies. DS said no, that he didn't want to read anything like that.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 AM

My dad does a lot of the read-alouds in our house. Right now he's reading the second book in the Swallows and Amazons series.

I'm reading Brer Rabbit tales to them.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Right now we're reading Black Ships Before Troy (children's version of the Iliad). We take turns reading it outloud.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:14 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Right now we are reading Frindle and Ramona the Pest. Next in line is My Father's Dragon.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 09-01-2010, 12:28 PM

We've already finished My Father's Dragon.

We're currently reading Little House in the Big Woods and The Door in the Wall. At bedtime Daddy is reading one of the Harry Potter books to them.

Next up is Mr. Popper's Penguins. After that I don't know. Literature is one thing I don't plan too far in advance for.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 09-01-2010, 12:44 PM

Right now, we are reading through:

-Bible devotionals/stories
-Peak With Books book list
-Sonlight P3/4
-the 20 books we get from the library (every 2 weeks - and the 20 is my set limit for my big girl)
-Magic School Bus books, various science readers, math story books
-whatever the girls pull out of the book basket (I recently bought some new Berenstain Bear books)

And we read chapter books at bed time...currently Stuart Little and I have some Magic School Bus chapter books on order. and we just finished the 3 Ralph S Mouse books.

I think that's it.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:53 PM

we're starting dr. doolittle today.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 09-01-2010, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We picked up The Hundred Cupboards thinking it sounded fun, but the kids are kind of "meh" about the whole thing, so I need to pick something new I think. I like it though. Anyway, it's hard because my kids' ages have such a span. Hmmm.... Pippi Longstocking maybe?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 09-01-2010, 12:58 PM

Parables from Nature

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:59 PM

I am reading the night fairy right now to my 4 yr old but she is resistant and wants simple stories that are short and sweet

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 PM

Voyage of the Arctic Tern. Highly recommend!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:53 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Just finished Finn Family Moomintroll (for the third time, this time for the youngest's benefit). Currently halfway through Mockingjay. Next up is The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate.

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 09-01-2010, 02:50 PM

The Oddysey (Geraldine McCaughrean's version)

Not sure what's next

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 PM

Well, I haven't been doing as many read alouds, but we've been listening to all sorts of free audio books! My dad and daughter are taking turns reading The Odyssey (Fagles translation). They previously read The Iliad, History by Herodotus, and a few others.

We finished listening to The Secret Garden, Pride and Prejudice, and Jane Eyre this summer while driving. We're currently listening to The Count of Monte Cristo and we're about 1/6th of the way in. Last spring was His Dark Materials trilogy by Pullman.

We want to do Flatland by Abbott and Ender's Game soon. She hasn't read A Wrinkle in Time yet, another to add to the list!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:01 AM

Chronicles of Narnia

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 AM

My DD is three.

We're currently reading The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook and Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. I already read Where the Mountain Meets the Moon through and just loved it, so had to read it to DD.

I'm not sure what we'll read next. Maybe The Magician's Elephant or Pippi Longstocking.

Any other suggestions that are preschooler friendly but still nice novels?

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Old 09-02-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
Next up is The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate.
I just read this a bit ago. FABULOUS!!! I so loved it!

How old are your kiddos? I wanted to read it to my DD but I think it might be a bit over her head...

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Old 09-02-2010, 02:22 AM

So cliche, but we're doing Little House in the Big Woods. The last one we read was Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's Farm. Next up probably another Carolyn Heywood Betsy book. Those are pretty easy to read. My kids totally don't care and don't really pay much attention, but I think the routine of reading a chapter after dinner is important.

Obviously, we read about a zillion picture books a day, too. DD is obsessed with all my old Bernstein Bears books. If she had her way I would do nothing all day every day but read to her. Great in theory, but it gets old in practice...

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 AM

Right now Homer Price. We've read it before, but it's a favorite here. Next will be Centerburg Tales.

~Karen, mom to a super 10 year old and a sweet little guy (12-15-08)
Old 09-02-2010, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We've offically scratched Beatrix Potter - I couldn't stand it anymore.

Treating ourselves to an Audiobook of The Secret Garden which my barely 4yo is LOVING and asking for more!

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:43 AM

We've been on a Beverly Cleary roll lately: read all the Mouse and the Motorcycle books and now on to Henry Huggins titles to be read in the order they were written. Since I have 2 boys, I'll introduce the Ramona books, but not force them if they're not that interested.

We're contemplating what to do within the Forest of Reading program. This year DS2 (almost 4 yo) will officially be reading the Blue Spruce books (picture books for 4-7 yo), so DS1 (6.5 yo) will have to decide whether to stick with those or move up to the Silver Birch level. That will likely determine how much time we have for various other readings.

Finding our way together. me, dh, and 2 boys 12/03 and 10/06
Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM

Right now DD7 and I are reading The Egypt Game (love that book!). After that, I'm not sure. I put together a huge number of books for our "book jar," and we pick from there for readalouds and, now that she's older, her "schoolish" self-reading.

ETA: Oh, I just realized that next will be The House With a Clock in Its Walls, by John Bellairs. We'd started it, but we don't like to read more than one book at a time together, so we put it aside. Love that book too! It's so weird to be reading my childhood favorites with my own kids

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Old 10-28-2010, 10:02 PM

bump -- bump -- bump

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 10-29-2010, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm reading Darkwing by Kenneth Oppel to 7 1/2 year old DD. It's a companion to the Silverwing trilogy, which we just finished (different characters and setting, but sort of related.) I'm reading Ramona and Her Mother to DS (almost 5), and DD is listening to that one, too.

User Tag List