s/o what are YOU reading right now - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i love reading what everyone is doing with their kids. i'd love to share a thread of what you all are reading personally as well. i'm always looking for ways to nurture myself and learn too. so what are you reading? i'm currently reading the sedona method by hale dwoskin & i've got a jack canfield book next on my list. so what's on your list??

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#2 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 12:06 PM

I Jack Canfield. Lately I've been gobbling up books on time management in preparation for incorporating some new things into an already stuffed life. I just finished The Other 8 Hours and Eat that Frog. I also read a book this week called Consuming Kids about the negative effects of marketing to children. It's an interesting read, but I don't think it went enough into how to talk to children about how media is affecting him. I guess I'm on my own there. And I've got a book of Neil Gaiman short stories for my own entertainment.
#3 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 12:23 PM

oops double post
#4 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 12:33 PM

I got "What your Kindergartener Should Know" from the library based on a recent recommendation here. It's terrific!!! In the literature section, honestly I was enthralled reading the fables and stories myself, and motivated to bring more such tales into our regular routine.

I'm unschoolish but have to admit, the book is motivating me to be a little more disciplined about the curriculum. Not that I've done anything about it yet, but it did convince me to have a good plan. But I still want to be child-led and follow DD's interests. I think I can plan better and still be child-led.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#5 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 12:41 PM

I'm reading The Death and Life of the Great American School System by Diane Ravitch. It is an awesome read, but unfortunately it's due back at the library, so I'll have to put my name back on hold to finish it.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#6 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 12:45 PM

I am reading a pile of horse training and care books trying to remember everything I may have forgotten. I haven't ridden in over a decade, but I was a competitive rider as a kid and spent most of my spare time working and playing on my best friend's farm. The stress of homeschooling and having recently moved made me put my foot down and tell dh that I am going to start riding again, a minimum of twice a month (with no babysitters in a new state we have to juggle our schedules) and eventually I'm hoping to lease or even buy a horse and teach my own kids to ride. I also waste lots of time reading horse for sale ads and for Eid ul-Fitr coming up I told my mom the only gift I wanted were subscriptions to horse magazines.

Probably a little different from what y'all are reading but the fact that I'm reading anything at all lately is a miracle, and I CAN. NOT. WAIT. to start riding again. Riding was always my "thing" and remembering that I'm an expert in something other than homeschooling stuff and getting back into my one and only hobby feels AWESOME.
#7 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've got a huge pile of books to read to screen for DD, but recently I've read:

Wishing For Tomorrow - A Sequel to The Little Princess
a bunch of crock pot cookbooks
The Well Trained Mind
and a bunch of theology books

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#8 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 01:25 PM

I've always got about a dozen books on my nightstand - mostly research on homeschool stuff, lol!!!

But my most recent favorite reads, that have stuck with me so much and I'll probably read again soon are:

- Enslaved by Ducks,
- and the follow-up book Fowl Weather

They were written by Bob Tarte, about his life going from animal-free to many animals, and the adventures he has. Now I am not a big animal lover (we don't even have pets at the moment) but I LOVE these books. They were like comfort food for me, and I just really love his writing style. I laughed out loud so many times (unusual for me with books). I would love it if someone could read them and tell me they loved them also - they're very easy/quick reading!
#9 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM

I read my Bible. And I'm currently reading Misdiagnosis And Dual Diagnoses Of Gifted Children And Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, And Other Disorders by James T Webb.
#10 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyw View Post
I would love it if someone could read them and tell me they loved them also - they're very easy/quick reading!
I'll take you up on that - just ordered Enslaved by Ducks via interlibrary loan.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#11 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
I'll take you up on that - just ordered Enslaved by Ducks via interlibrary loan.
Yay! I can't wait to hear what you think
#12 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 04:53 PM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I just finished "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". It was a great read. Now, I am reading a book about how the brain learns. Not as relaxing, but very informative.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#13 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm reading Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzales. Very interesting.
#14 of 14 Old 09-02-2010, 08:17 AM

Currently reading The Translator by Daoud HAri, who has been a translator for the investigators in the Darfur region during the Sudan genocide.

Just finished One More Day by Mitch Albom (good book, but liked his Five People You Meet in Heaven better)

Voices in Time by Hugh McLennan (very good work of fiction with an interesting perspective on WWII history, Canadian history during the FLQ crisis and also his insightful vision of the future as written from 1980)

Previous to that was The Pact by Jodi Piccoult. Very light but okay for reading while on the stationary bike at the gym, which is the only place I get to read more than a magazine article at a time (in my bathroom!). Not necessarliy something I would recommend although serveral peple I ran into in the change room who saw that I was reading it said they love her books and were very excited about it. Different tastes make the worls go round I suppose. I definitely needed to get into something more substantial than that after I finshed it though.

Finding our way together. me, dh, and 2 boys 12/03 and 10/06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page