Did you name your homeschool? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hadn't thought about naming ours until I saw this...I like the reasons for naming it. It never dawned on me to consider transcripts, etc.

I am really toying with the Aristotle Academy. I've always loved Aristotle and the way he shook up learning and founded the Academy. And, it is a nice tribute to DS's OBSESSION with ancient Greece and science in general. Plus I just love this quote

All men by nature desire knowledge. ~Aristotle
#32 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 08:52 AM

I was just calling it the Crane Homeschool (Crane is our surname), but this thread got me wanting something more. Rios is my maiden name and it means rivers, so I was thinking Crane Rivers Academy.
#33 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 AM

I started a blog to file weekly "updates" of our homeschooling experience [mostly for me, and also to help me with my portfolio review, but also for my MIL], and so I wanted a cool name for it. We went with the Hearth Stone Home School. It's a variation of our street name, and I like the idea of a hearth, and the hearth stone as a foundation of the home, etc.
We also are redoing our home office to make it more HS friendly, and are now calling it the Office of Lifelong Learning.
#34 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 12:30 PM

Like many others, we used part of our street name, so The ___ ___ School. I liked the ring of it and the state requires something. We doubt we'll still be in this house in 12 years so it won't be obvious by then, which is the same reason we did not use our last name -- too obvious. My favorite is my friend's, which I can't remember now of course, but it has a Harry Potter theme. You wouldn't immediately think HP, but when she started to tell me how they went about trying to come up with one I quickly realized HP was behind it. So subtle book/movie/character themes might be an idea (Silver Lake Shores Academy ... Plum Creek School ... Walnut Grove Academy).

Susan, homeschooling mama to KS/6, A/5, K/3, ^i^, ^i^, & our new Valentine -- RG 02/14/10.
#35 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We named it just for fun. We're either Morning Song Homeschool or the Fr*** Family Academy for Recalcitrant Children, depending on how things are going.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#36 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 PM

We haven't even "really" started yet but when we do we'll be Good Harbor Academy.

It's the name of the church where our earliest ancestors to pioneer the area got married, and the entire reason people live here is because of that ... it's a good harbor! Of course we don't plan on moving, and it holds more significance because of community rebuilding after the recent hurricanes and such. Also DH and grandpa are boat captains and part of our schooling will be practical matters dealing with boats, fishing, knots, and such ... survival here! Not to mention we dream of living on a boat someday. Definitely a fitting name.

When DH is in a joking mood he says we should send DD1 to the Super Exclusive Learning Center for Amazingly Talented Children.

Me , DH , Emmy (5/08), and new baby Tilda (1/10)
#37 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 09:00 PM

Ours is Pride Ranch Academy. DS's favorite movie is The Lion King, which has Pride Rock. That's where the "pride" came from. We live in an area called ________ Ranch, so that's where the "ranch" came from. Even before we started HSing he'd always say we lived at Pride Ranch. And we added Academy because it sounds so uptight and serious, just like us

Mama to three  
#38 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 11:22 PM

We just named ours this year. It is not required here, but the kids thought it would be cool. After a very democratic process the name elected was Oakwoods Acadamy. School colours are bronze and gun metal green. Mascot is the steambird. Umm...yeah, they are silly little creatures. I like them though .

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
#39 of 42 Old 09-10-2010, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
We did nearly name it The Bene Gesserit Academy
Duuuude.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#40 of 42 Old 09-10-2010, 01:34 AM

This thread got me thinking, and I talked to my children about naming their homeschool (still 4 and 2). DD was pretty into "Rainbow Care Bear School" and DS wanted some sort of zooming academy name (I forget). Although, being 2, DS did jump onto the Care Bears theme and figured he belongs at "Too Loud Bear Academy" - which is so very apt for him, if you've ever tried to spend a quiet meal with him...

I think we'll wait on any official choices for a little while here.

Tjej
#41 of 42 Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post

We did nearly name it The Bene Gesserit Academy We didn't because we were worried about it looking goofy on the diplomas
I don't know about diplomas, but I might be disinclined to hire an employee from the Bene Gesserit Academy.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#42 of 42 Old 09-10-2010, 10:10 AM

We named ours - mostly to make getting teacher/educator programs and discounts easier. We don't have to use it often but it is useful.

Ours is River Park Academy - mostly because we are either at the river or the park.

Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page