Did you name your homeschool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If so, why? It kind of occured to me yesterday that it would be cool to do it but when my husband asked why, I couldn't really answer him.

Also, I can't think of anything other than [LASTNAME] Academy or similar. Is your homeschool name something other than your family name? You don't have to post it here (though feel free!) but it would be interesting if you said "we named it after our hometown that we moved away from" or "it's a special word in the language of our ethnic roots" or whatever. I figure whatever it is shouldn't be too cutesy, since hopefully the name will last for a while and inspire pride.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#2 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM

yes i did.

Scribing Life Academy

I use it -- silly maybe -- when i subscribe to things, or request magazines, or sign up on line (history.com for example says it is open to homeschoolers but still requires a school name). I wanted a name i liked, and one that i would use consistantly any time one was asked for or an option.

I like it good enough reason for me

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#3 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I am going to guess that the tradition of naming them came from the times when homeschooling wasn't totally legal in some states and parents may have told others that their children were in private schools.

We are currently enrolled through an umbrella school, so ds's school id has their name on it as his school.

We did name our "school" a long time ago when the kids were little. The name is taken from some scriptures that we believe talk about educating our children. It is on a sign hanging on their door, but I've never really used it for anything.

#4 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We're Catholic, so our school is St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Academy.

We wanted a saint's name, and that was one of the few that aren't already being used in our large city.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#5 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
I am going to guess that the tradition of naming them came from the times when homeschooling wasn't totally legal in some states and parents may have told others that their children were in private schools.

We are currently enrolled through an umbrella school, so ds's school id has their name on it as his school.

We did name our "school" a long time ago when the kids were little. The name is taken from some scriptures that we believe talk about educating our children. It is on a sign hanging on their door, but I've never really used it for anything.
come on !! what is it??

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#6 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 11:31 AM

Before my kids were old enough to register as hs'er with the state, I just put "homeschool" in those online forms.

My state requires a name. We chose [our town name] Hearth School.

We like how it made us feel.
#7 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 01:05 PM

We're in the process of brainstorming. I want something warm feeling but that will also follow us well into the older years.

I like the idea of having a name when you're filling out forms for discounts or subscribing to things. Plus, I'm hoping it will give DD a pat answer to questions as she gets older.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#8 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 02:30 PM

Jen's House of Chaos?

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#9 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
Jen's House of Chaos?
Love it!

I had never thought about it much since our state doesn't require a school name. Plus we unschool so we don't really differentiate between regular life and "school" stuff. I kind of like the idea though. If DD likes the idea, we might come up with something.

Maybe something to do with science since that's really our thing here.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#10 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower View Post
Love it!

I had never thought about it much since our state doesn't require a school name. Plus we unschool so we don't really differentiate between regular life and "school" stuff. I kind of like the idea though. If DD likes the idea, we might come up with something.

Maybe something to do with science since that's really our thing here.
Starflower's House of Science Chaos??

You could go REALLY nuts with Chaos Theory and everything!

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#11 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 PM

ours is The [our last name] School

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#12 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 03:45 PM

Our state requires it.
We named ours after the creek that runs behind our house.
#13 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 10:00 PM

There was a big post about this on diaperswappers awhile back. Someone suggested re-thinking putting your last name in name of the school, because it doesn't look very professional when the child writes it on an application later in life. I suppose you could give the school a new name when the children are in middle school and high school, though.

To answer the OP, DH and I are in the process of deciding on a name, mission statement, and Bible verse that correlates with our goals for educating our children. The first thing I am going to do with the name is get ID cards made through the HS Buyers Co-op that will hopefully allow us to get discounts at places like Borders!
#14 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 PM

I was homeschooled for a while, and ours was South Shore Academy. Our neighborhood was called South Shore Harbor, so it made sense. I think it might have been a state requirement, but I really don't know. I just thought it was fun.
#15 of 42 Old 09-02-2010, 11:01 PM

California requires you to file as a private school.

Hubby is a Canadian (and therefore so are the kids) so we are the "Maple Leaf Academy".
#16 of 42 Old 09-03-2010, 12:26 AM

We aren't required to use a name, but our street name-Academy sounds great so we chose that.
#17 of 42 Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 AM

We call our homeschool: Sunflower Lane Academy

Because our last name is Lane and I love sunflowers and usually have them blooming all summer long.

Mama Gina

flower.gif hippie.gif knit.gifhomeschool.gif  h20homebirth.gif  namaste.gif
Noah 14bikenew.gif, Emma 12 flowerkitty.gif, and Andrew 8 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#18 of 42 Old 09-03-2010, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I started using our last name ______ Homeschool because we got Borders & B&N discount cards like 5 yrs back and we needed a name for them.

It's lame though, and I've never liked it. I just haven't come up with a decent enough name. I want it to be fun, but not so out there that it looks goofy when their older (on their diplomas.)

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#19 of 42 Old 09-03-2010, 08:05 PM

ours is Herbert Zelazny School of Math and Science

We did nearly name it The Bene Gesserit Academy We didn't because we were worried about it looking goofy on the diplomas

Not all those who wander are lost 
#20 of 42 Old 09-03-2010, 11:19 PM

We named ours after the street we lived on when we started homeshooling. Sunrise Academy. We didn't have to, only wanted it. Later I learned that there are some forms and things like the reading incentive programs that you use your homeschool's name for. We briefly lived in a state that you had to have a name, and continued with the same one.

We are now moving to where we hope to live until we retire and I'm thinking of a name change. That would be Cedar Academy if we used the same criteria. I'm thinking of a combo though, maybe Sunrise Cedar or Cedar Sunrise ? lol I dunno just playing with ideas. anyway...

there's how we came up with the name for our homeschool. I purposely left "homeschool" out of the name, though many others leave it in.

Caefi
#21 of 42 Old 09-04-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
ours is Herbert Zelazny School of Math and Science

We did nearly name it The Bene Gesserit Academy We didn't because we were worried about it looking goofy on the diplomas
I wanna go to the Bene Gesserit Academy!

Fear IS the mind killer. But if you have a son, he'd have to be the Kwisatz Haderach to get the really deep training, wouldn't he?
The girls could do everything but you might have to delve a lot deeper in politics than most homeschoolers too...

Did I just out myself as the biggest geek in here?

#22 of 42 Old 09-04-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post
Our state requires it.
We took a similar approach. We live at the confluence of 3 creeks. Our homeschool is The Confluence School. My DH is an artist/musician. I do birthwork and yoga, and we are homesteading on a sustainable farm. We are also a location for the first biodiesel operation in the area that was started by a dear friend. We give tours of our place to colleges and folks who are interested. (Princeton was here this year!) We have a vision of offering retreats and workshops here at some point in a variety of subjects.
So, we are a school per se. And as the adults working from our location go out and about to spread the word, we refer to our home as The Confluence. It's easier and it is a running together of individual interests. I thought it a nice fit for our schooling to be a part of it too. I'm not sure that the state requires a name. I think they might. I haven't had to file anything yet. We are just in K. But, we named it for fun.

Oh, and part of me is hoping for another family to eventually establish here too with children in similar age range. Right now, we are the only married couple working on any Confluence projects. I'd love to team homeschool with another family and have our name. Dreaming... There are only 3 cabins occupied in our space.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#23 of 42 Old 09-06-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
We took a similar approach. We live at the confluence of 3 creeks. Our homeschool is The Confluence School. My DH is an artist/musician. I do birthwork and yoga, and we are homesteading on a sustainable farm. We are also a location for the first biodiesel operation in the area that was started by a dear friend. We give tours of our place to colleges and folks who are interested. (Princeton was here this year!) We have a vision of offering retreats and workshops here at some point in a variety of subjects.
So, we are a school per se. And as the adults working from our location go out and about to spread the word, we refer to our home as The Confluence. It's easier and it is a running together of individual interests. I thought it a nice fit for our schooling to be a part of it too. I'm not sure that the state requires a name. I think they might. I haven't had to file anything yet. We are just in K. But, we named it for fun.

Oh, and part of me is hoping for another family to eventually establish here too with children in similar age range. Right now, we are the only married couple working on any Confluence projects. I'd love to team homeschool with another family and have our name. Dreaming... There are only 3 cabins occupied in our space.
:j oy

#24 of 42 Old 09-06-2010, 11:23 PM

Our state requires we name our homeschool. I wanted something that would look decent on future college apps. I also didn't want to use our last name, as we are a blended family and have more than one last name. I wanted it to have something to do with discovery and intelect. We had a lot of fun making up names. The state required that the name be less than a certain number of characters, so that limited us a little. In the end we chose, The Academy of Cognitive Discovery!
#25 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 11:55 PM

Jennifer, you're SO not
eastkygal, what a neat presentation! Sounds lovely.

We're T.H.E. Academy, which stands for (Our Last Name begins with T) Home Education. We're in TX, which considers homeschools private schools, so I thought a name was appropriate; plus, it helps like other moms have mentioned on magazine subscriptions and such.

I make student and educator ID cards for me and the kids with a medical release on the back in case we're separated, and we have a membership card to our homeschool group that all gets laminated together that we take on field trips and anytime the kids might get separated from me since our city has a school-hour curfew.

We also have a homeschool crest that we use on, oh... everything we can
http://thisadventurelife.wordpress.c...eschool-crest/

~h

~h tea6.gif
wife to shamrocksmile.gifShamrocks (8-8-99)
slightly crunchy homeschooling AP mama to biggrinbounce.gifLittleBoyBlue(2001) & goldfish.gifPeaGreen(2003)
angel.gifmissing our babe (6/2009)
fly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gif novaxnocirc.gif  mdcblog5.gif
#26 of 42 Old 09-08-2010, 06:09 PM

The Saint Jude Homeschool. He's the Patron Saint of Lost Causes...and we need all the help we can get here.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#27 of 42 Old 09-08-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Cool ideas! I am trying to think of meaningful words to use. I like the word "mindful" but I'm not sure if that fits well into a school name. I don't want to chose a local word (local mountain or other feature) because we're planning on moving. I love The Confluence a lot. Sometimes I've thought about being a Normal School, which sounds funny, but it's a school of teachers - and I like that idea because homeschooling makes the whole family into teachers (me, DH and DD). Plus there's the little dig about the normalcy of homeschooling there.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#28 of 42 Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
Cool ideas! I am trying to think of meaningful words to use. I like the word "mindful" but I'm not sure if that fits well into a school name. I don't want to chose a local word (local mountain or other feature) because we're planning on moving. I love The Confluence a lot. Sometimes I've thought about being a Normal School, which sounds funny, but it's a school of teachers - and I like that idea because homeschooling makes the whole family into teachers (me, DH and DD). Plus there's the little dig about the normalcy of homeschooling there.
The Normal School of Mindful Creativity and Academics

I had to add creativity... My DH is an artist and it is a huge part of our schooling here. You could also add your last name before Normal in the title.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#29 of 42 Old 09-08-2010, 10:21 PM

yes, we named it. it is required with our association. our name is "hidden creek homeschool" (we have a creek hidden in our backyard). as my kids get older, we may change it to an "academy" of sorts, but right now i don't need transcripts, so we like our name just fine.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#30 of 42 Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post
Our state requires it.
same here, lol

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page