Fall Kindergarten Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Things are going fairly well here.  We flew through the HWOT Pre-K workbook and are about 3/4 of the way through the Kindergarten one.  Today was mostly spent building with legos...I think 6 hours worth by the time it was all said and done.  We're loving just about everything...except for phonics.  I'm tempted to just let that one lie until next year...but that still leaves me with needing to find something that will work that's also specifically secular.  Has anyone tried ETC online?

Gym class and the classes ds takes at the local nature center area also a big hit, but I'm feeling a little bit on the outside.  Our local group, though specifically inclusive in practice isn't.  The social circles all seem to revolve around the Christian co-ops in town which means we're definitely not part of the "in" group.  *sigh*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 06:15 AM

Bump! I like reading this thread does anyone have anything to share? DD hasn't done anything curriculum based for a week or so apart from asking to do reading eggs today but there's still lots of learning happening wink1.gif

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
Old 11-16-2010, 10:20 AM

Honestly, we have not done much.

We did do "Purple Monday" last week which included a purple bath (food coloring) together (little three), some made up Waldorf stories about numbers in which I then had them count magic seeds to put in their silver chests. (Popcorn seeds and metal cupcake tins. :lol )

Then we reviewed vowel sounds (based on poem from OPGTR) and finger painted in purple pudding on a cookie sheet.  Then we washed up. :) 

So funny because all day my dd3 was telling people how she did school in the purple pond, that she was a fairy and she used her magic pencil finger to draw letters. :D  And they were all like, "SURE you did!!!" :lol

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 11-16-2010, 03:50 PM

That sounds awesome! What is optgr? I love that she was telling them all about fairy school smile.gif

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
Old 11-16-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmama2 View Post

That sounds awesome! What is optgr? I love that she was telling them all about fairy school smile.gif

It was so cute! :throb

OPGTR: Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading :)  It is "Classical Education"y but we are using it loosely and they love it.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:08 PM

We gave ETC Online a try recently and discovered that it fit the bill perfectly.  ETC's workbooks, OPTGR, and AlphaPhonics all failed to interest ds whereas now he's excited and asks to "do school on the computer."  Go figure.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:56 PM

Hi everyone! I don't think I've posted to this thread before. Right now, we are doing TOPGTR & lots of Bob Books for language arts. I'm going to add Explode the Code to that. Math is pretty simple. A lot of games (love the book Family Math) and some Kumon workbooks. biggrinbounce.gif I'm thinking of doing Singapore Math but what we're doing seems to be working well, so...maybe not. Science is helping older sibs with experiments and lots of outdoor time.

Dee, mama to Robin , Wren , Finch and baby Lark born 12/27!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:05 AM

Bumping again. DD's reading confidence is taking off. She's had a decent sight word vocab and been decoding cvc words for almost two years now but she is a perfectionist and since she can't read with adult fluency has until recently stubbornly believed she can't read. Today we headed off to the library and she pulled an early reader off the shelf and read it aloud. I mean LOUD lol, loud enough for the librarian and some other patrons to hear. For a perfectionist who doesn't even like to read in front of us (she'll sit with a book and read it to herself but stop if she thinks we know what she is doing) this is huge jammin.gif Tonight after mr. 17 months went to sleep we pulled out the cuisenaire rods and played "differences" from moominmama's pre-Miquon book. She really enjoyed it so of course now I'm wracked with guilt that I can't meet her educational needs enough when he is awake. Sigh. Her favourite thing of late is the electronics kit we picked up from a local homeschool market day for four dollars thumb.gif she would use that thing all day if she could, but again. Toddler unfriendly!

Old 11-23-2010, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Bumping again. DD's reading confidence is taking off. She's had a decent sight word vocab and been decoding cvc words for almost two years now but she is a perfectionist and since she can't read with adult fluency has until recently stubbornly believed she can't read. Today we headed off to the library and she pulled an early reader off the shelf and read it aloud. I mean LOUD lol, loud enough for the librarian and some other patrons to hear. For a perfectionist who doesn't even like to read in front of us (she'll sit with a book and read it to herself but stop if she thinks we know what she is doing) this is huge jammin.gif Tonight after mr. 17 months went to sleep we pulled out the cuisenaire rods and played "differences" from moominmama's pre-Miquon book. She really enjoyed it so of course now I'm wracked with guilt that I can't meet her educational needs enough when he is awake. Sigh. Her favourite thing of late is the electronics kit we picked up from a local homeschool market day for four dollars thumb.gif she would use that thing all day if she could, but again. Toddler unfriendly!

Old 11-23-2010, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I've tried to type a reply 4 times and it keeps screwing up! I commented to Greenmama2 and it didn't do my quotes correctly or my comment....

I'll try later, perhaps.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Do you have a link to that rod book?  I can not seem to find it.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:07 PM

http://nurturedbylove.blogspot.com/2008/12/cuisenaire-discovery-book.html

Old 11-24-2010, 06:17 AM

So after all my guilt last night about not doing enough with DD we seemed to find a good rhythm today. After breakfast we stayed at the table for some Singapore maths and then she wrote in her "field journal" (something she took from the latest Tinkerbell movie lol) and asked to do an experiment from Starting Point Science. We managed violin between breakfast & lunch too as well as me making moussaka and playing "vet" to lots ot stuffed animals. DS is always at his most easy going in the morning I need to remember that and stop trying to get housework done then and "do stuff" instead. He went to sleep directly after dinner so we pulled the electricity kit out then and did two experiments thumb.gif

Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:

So after all my guilt last night about not doing enough with DD we seemed to find a good rhythm today. After breakfast we stayed at the table for some Singapore maths and then she wrote in her "field journal" (something she took from the latest Tinkerbell movie lol) and asked to do an experiment from Starting Point Science. We managed violin between breakfast & lunch too as well as me making moussaka and playing "vet" to lots ot stuffed animals. DS is always at his most easy going in the morning I need to remember that and stop trying to get housework done then and "do stuff" instead. He went to sleep directly after dinner so we pulled the electricity kit out then and did two experiments thumb.gif

Thanks for the rod link. :)

My dd4 wants to set up a field guide now too! lol

Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

We started some school back up this week after a nice lazy Thanksgiving week!!

My big girl read enough books for both her Pizza Hut BOOK IT! goal and her Applebees Bookworm Club goal!! (We don't over lap programs when she reads a book - she gets to choose which program the book applies to). So we had some Pizza Hut yesterday for lunch!

Anyone making any curriculun changes in January? We are going to drop all the "filler" extras we do and start an American History study with Sonlight materials and hands on projects that I'm gathering together.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post

We started some school back up this week after a nice lazy Thanksgiving week!!

My big girl read enough books for both her Pizza Hut BOOK IT! goal and her Applebees Bookworm Club goal!! (We don't over lap programs when she reads a book - she gets to choose which program the book applies to). So we had some Pizza Hut yesterday for lunch!

Anyone making any curriculun changes in January? We are going to drop all the "filler" extras we do and start an American History study with Sonlight materials and hands on projects that I'm gathering together.

What's the applebee's program? I've never heard of it before. My little one is signed up for Book-it, but our local pizza hut sucks so we haven't been doing it.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Bummer your Pizza Hut is terrible. Ours remembered us from last month! LOL!

This is the Applebees Club:

http://tlcneighborhood.com/page.php?id=1

I just emailed the gal and told her that I home schooled and she sent me the cards. Read 10 books and get a free kid's meal.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:51 PM

So, I've only posted once, but I had to come back to say we are having a great year now that we are in the swing of things.  I love our curriculum.  It reallys eases in to academics slowly building on skills.  We are using Rod and Staff.  It fits into my teaching philosophy very well, and DD1 enjoys her work.  I love their Little Jewel Books.  They are awesome for getting in Social Studies and Science with character issues all tied in.  They are really well written and wonderfully illustrated. 

Anyway, I'm wondering about letters.  I bought DD Leap Frog Letter Factory and she seems to be well ahead of me on recognizing her letters and knowing their sounds.  We started letter K this week.  I wasn't going to start academics until age 6 or 7, but DD1 asked to learn her letters and to read, so I decided to go ahead and start kindy.  Should I speed up our work with letters.  Like instead of doing one letter a week do two?  What do you think?  Or should we still move at the pace we are with the letters?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

User Tag List