Parents as Teachers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-09-2002, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure where to post this, but since I am asking about smaller babies, I thought this might be the area.

ANYWAY,

Have any of you participated in the "Parents as Teachers" group? It sounds pretty good to me. So I was curious what you thought about it.

They are suppose to call me back. I guess "sessions" start in the fall, but they are going to try to sign us up. ALexander is 10 months now. I am hoping this will give him some playtime with other children, and some adult time with other parents for me.

I am also hoping they can give us good ideas for learning and teaching. I have read that children that use them score higher than children that do not use them (though I am NOT a believer in such surveys).

Any input welcome.
#2 of 16 Old 05-09-2002, 09:50 PM

Hey, I'm not familiar with Parents as Teachers. Is there a website I can go to learn more. Sounds interesting...

Hope someone out there knows more.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#3 of 16 Old 05-10-2002, 10:30 AM

I have a friend that works for Parents as Teaches in Oregon. From what I understand she doesn't do the group she does in home visits. She goes to peoples houses regularly (once a month?) and teaches them about the stage that their child is in developmentaly and teaches them some games/activites to play. I am going to send her an e-mail and see if she will come post.
#4 of 16 Old 05-10-2002, 10:47 AM

I love my Parents As Teachers educator and my boys love her visits. She comes once a month and brings an age appropriate activity and book and interacts with the boys. She also leaves info on your child's development (socially, emotionally, intellectually, gross and fine motor skills) and does the Denver screening at 6 mos. and then at every year birthday). She visits until your child is age 3, and yes, they have group sessions once every month and sometimes parent oriented info meetings. The program is for every family in a given school district but they really like to try and reach at-risk and low income families who might not possibly have the education or the resources available to them otherwise.
#5 of 16 Old 05-10-2002, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

it sounds great!
i'd love to have someone evaluate his development. as far as i am concerned he is 'gifted', but i'd like some other input :-)

monthly visits and the playgroup both sound nice.

im pretty excited! im glad there were not any Horror Stories from you all, but i wanted to double check.
#6 of 16 Old 05-10-2002, 11:09 AM

I used to be a PAT trainer in South Dakota, and I really liked the curriculum. Someone stole my books and hand-outs (so they must've liked the curriculum too :P), and I'd love to have those activity sheets again.
I thought it was a decent curriculum. I, too, was trained to do homevisits.
-W
#7 of 16 Old 05-10-2002, 02:41 PM

i don't know any thing about them, but here is the web site
http://www.patnc.org/
#8 of 16 Old 05-13-2002, 12:30 AM

I have my first at home visit on Wednesday..I'll let you know about it. I saw a copy of the training book and they are all about--facilitating your own parenting style and not telling you you're doing wrong, bc you as a mother know best. BUT....I did see a part about how babies need to teach themselves to fall asleep. The evening programs look neat like baby boogy (music)
#9 of 16 Old 05-16-2002, 12:21 AM

Hi,
Hope no one minds--I'm just going to slide this over to the Early Childhood Education board!
#10 of 16 Old 05-16-2002, 12:42 AM

We had our home visit today and it went great. Our Parent educator showed us some really neat little toys she made. One was a coke bottle (medium sized) with sparkly confetti and liquid with food coloring in it with the top glued on. Another a freezer sized zip lock bag with yellow hair gel and little foam shapes in it- you can put anything in it. and another zip lock bag on top of it. She also was very cool with the idea that he sleeps with us. We don't have our next visit until Aug. but there is a summer program for babies at the preschool. He was so excited and happy to see this lady...that's one of the reasons I did this bc he likes people a lot!
#11 of 16 Old 05-17-2002, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

they were all like

"we are too full for homevisits"

"you are welcome to come to our playgroup"

i AM going to the playgroup and I AM going to MAKE them put us on the waiting list.

i looked into paying for some sort of early childhood education, but the only one I found for young babies is $45 per DAY
#12 of 16 Old 05-17-2002, 02:17 AM

I think a lot of it depends on the school district you are in and this one is supposed to be good, but we are moving once we find an area we like here...wait until fall bc the program is ending anyway. we have a program here in the summer but the price is pretty ridiculouse and I AM NOT paying that. Moss is only 5 mths. but I do want to find him some little friends bc we are new here and sometimes we go a while without interaction...except for library, grocery store, zoo etc.,..
#13 of 16 Old 05-18-2002, 11:14 PM

I have two boys in the PAT program in our town. We love or teacher and have loved the playgroups and the home visits. Our teacher has also been tolerant and respectful of our parenting choices (my husband has also attended home visits and playgroup). I could not recommend it more, but I am sure that, to some degree, it depends on the teacher. My 3-year-old loves his teacher so much, he requests that we sing about her sometimes! The Denver testing has also been very informative and encouraging to us. As already mentioned, the national wesite, with area specific information, can be found with keywords Parents as Teachers National Center. Good luck in finding a wonderful group near you. Mommy-participation groups are so fun because you get to observe your little miracles in action.
#14 of 16 Old 07-19-2002, 10:03 PM

If you just want a fun, safe, organised place to play and meet moms, and money is not a big deal~ we love Gymboree classes.
edited to add, I really reccomend this book, it is so wonderful and I think it would be helpful,
'Living Joyfully With Children' by Win Sweet, Bill Sweet
#15 of 16 Old 07-20-2002, 11:52 PM

You know the chicago public schools has a nice pre-k site also for more info. If I rember right it is in spanish and english and had some good resources.
http://www.virtualpre-k.org/
#16 of 16 Old 07-30-2002, 10:53 PM

FWIW, I, too had PAT in my home and plan to have her back this fall when they start up again. My ds, 2 1/2 and I also attend the open play sessions. I plan to homeschool and the PAT person knows this. She is very nice and respectful of this. (no stupid comments, in other words)
I thought she was great and will ask for the same teacher. As I can't say that they'd all be as good as she is.
She provides age-appropriate information and ideas on dealing with common problems as well as developmental milestones and appropriate play ideas. Great for someone planning to homeschool. I keep all of the handouts in a notebook.
It's free, you really have nothing to lose. I was reluctant at first but have been very happy. If you don't like it after the first visit, request another teacher, or just forget it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page