What's your favorite PK/K math curric? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2010, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We do a lot of craft/unit-based play at my house. My oldest (4) is asking for more "school-ly things", so I'm actually leaning towards the idea of starting her with a few curriculums. She's learning to read with 100EZ Lessons. I've heard good things about HWOT so we're going to pick that up to compliment EZ lessons. Because she will still do unit-based activities with her brother I'm not worried about science or social studies or what have you. She can count to 16, can identify numbers to 12.

I'm actually leaning towards combining her and her brother (3 next month, who shows a genuine aptitude for math--can count to 12, recognize numbers, etc).

So what's your favorite math curriculum at this age?

Wife to The Husband, Mom to Abby (05.06), Emmett (10.07), Eleanor (07.09) and due with Hyrum Xane (05.11)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right Start by far.

DD is 3.5yo... getting closer to 4 now... and precocious in math. She's up to lesson 22, I think, in Right Start A. We don't do it every day, and don't always get through a whole lesson at once, but sometimes she'll do two...

And we'll often just repeat the activities and games from the most recent lesson many times before going on to the next one. It doesn't have to be a 'one lesson each day' thing.

She loves all the hands-on stuff, she can identify tally sticks or abacus numbers up to 10 at sight (no counting, just knows that 5 and 3 is 8). The most recent lesson involved finding all the ways to break 5 into 2 parts (1 and 4, 2 and 3, 3 and 2, 4 and 1, and maybe 5 and 0 if they cotton on to that idea, which she did!), she LOVED the activity, then seeing how we would write that in numbers and symbols. She knows even and odd, knows that 10 tens is a hundred, knows that 3 full lines and 2 beads on the abacus is "3-ten 2" and written 32, knows that a square is a rectangle and a quadrilateral, knows parallel and perpendicular, knows that a pyramid of 4-3-2-1 equals 10.

Level A is considered a Kindergarten program.

I think a kid who is just turning 3 might find it too much, even if they are precocious, since just because they know a certain amount right now doesn't mean that their rate of development and further skills acquisition will continue at a rate commensurate with using a curriculum. When DD was younger and wanted to "do school" stuff, we just used preschool-level workbooks, mostly really cheap stuff from currclick or the book store. Things like colouring patterns, circling whether there are 1, 2, or 3 teddy bears in the picture, matching items... stuff that may or may not be specifically 'math' but they don't know the difference at that age anyway.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact

User Tag List